Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
September 23, 1998, Page 32
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
IN THE Good Old Days
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
The finest cheese we have every (ever) seen or tasted, came from the cheese factory located a couple miles south of Neillsville. The cheese factory, near Clark’s Mill, is owned by James McKeand, Lee Archer, John McVane and F. C. Wage. Although the factory has been in operation for only a short time, it is turning out 75 to 80 pounds of cheese per day. It is as perfect cheese that has ever been made.
A number of horses are in daily training on the fairgrounds track. They are being prepared for the Clark County Fair competition of running and trotting. Purses will be awarded to the winners of the races.
The clover threshing and hulling machine owned by J. S. Dore, G. A. Austin and Frank Kirkland, will be on exhibition on the fairgrounds during the fair.
Since receiving its outer coating of brick, Gates’ new building presents a very fine appearance.
The Lowe brothers have commenced the building of a very nice residence in Bacon’s addition south of Orson Bacon’s residence (318 Grand Ave.). George W. Trogner has taken the building contract.
A special meeting of the Clark County Board has been called to take place on Oct. 7. The principal business is in relation to the building of a bridge across Black River, in place of the old bridge at Arch Day’s. (The Day property was between 2 and 3 miles south on the east side to the Black River. The new bridge of 1878 was built to span the Black River for the Humbird Road which later became Highway 10. D.Z.)
Last Sunday, Dr. Crandall was called to Hewettville and Geo. W. Trogner went with him for company. Trogner took along his Winchester rifle, thinking he might get sight of a bear which had been seen several times in the Hewettville area. Near Wood’s corners, four miles west of here, they saw a deer cross the road and disappear into the woods. Trogner got out of the buggy, went into the woods a few rods, then got sight of the deer. Quickly, he brought up his rifle, aimed, fired and brought down the deer. Instantly, another deer bounded into view, then a third deer, both of which were fired upon and killed by Trogner’s good marksmanship. Trogner does not pretend to be a deer hunter; in fact he was out hunting for bear. Now, let’s see his feat equaled.
The Hemlock Island Dam, north of Greenwood is completed. We regret that we could not take advantage of the kind offer of a ride to see the new dam. The loggers of the main river will not be pleased with this improvement.
Dan Gates has retired from active business. He will be succeeded by his sons James and Charles. James will open a general store with groceries and other provisions in the old building. Charles will succeed in the meat market; which was moved into the new Gates building put up this summer. The two young Gates boys are good businessmen and will do well.
In every part of Clark County, there is timber being continually cut down and burned to get it out of the way, such as bass-wood. The pine is being very carefully preserved. Lately, it seems that builders have come to know and appreciate the excellent qualities of basswood for building purposes, especially for inside finishing. All will now agree it is far ahead of pine in every detail. It is freer of knots and other imperfections and finishes smoother. When sharp tools are used, it does not require sandpapering before being ready to paint or varnish. Its greatest advantage over pine is in being absolutely free from pitch.
Forest fires in the towns of Levis and Hewett endangered several farm homes, while burning on Saturday and Sunday. Hard work in fire fighting, by many people, saved the homes without any loss.
The six o’clock dinner scheduled to be given on Oct. 17 by the ladies of the Catholic Church has been postponed. The Board of Health made the request in regard that public dinners or large gatherings of people not be held until the danger of influenza is past.
Leslie Krueger has been captured. A telegram was received Tuesday by District Attorney Rush from the sheriff at Brainerd, Minn. He stated that Krueger had been captured there and was being held in custody. Sheriff Hewett, of Clark County, will go to Brainerd to get Krueger. It is reported that Krueger denies having been at the Krueger home during the battle, but that will be settled when he is returned to Clark County. We do know he is a draft dodger.
Bruley’s Elevator is selling buckwheat bran for 50 cents a hundred while it lasts.
Clark County has a quota to fill. They need 20 students for trained nurses. Any young women wishing to take the nurses training course are urged to report to Mrs. L. H. Howard of Neillsville.
W. H. Gates will sell a yearling mare colt in trade for a $100 Liberty Bond.
The Neillsville High School Short Course will begin on Nov. 11. This course is intended for those who were not able to enroll in the fall term due to farm work or other work commitments. So, for those not having high school advantages and yet wish to take the short-term school work, they may do so by signing up now. Classes will start in all the first-year branches and credits will be given for all satisfactory work done in the classes. Other branches will be taught as desired by the pupils.
The book rent charge will be $1.10 for the term and tuition is paid by the town from which the pupil enters. Those planning to enter the short-term course should notify Prof. Henderson or Miss Elsie King.
Neillsville has a quota of 80 sweaters to be finished by Dec. 14, 1918. All wishing to help with this quota please obtain yarn and instructions from Red Cross Headquarters immediately. We wish to ship the sweaters to Central Division by Dec. 14, 1918.
A. H. Holverson is having the corner building remodeled. It was formerly occupied by H. C. Seidelmann when he operated a saloon. Joseph Bast will furnish and equip the newly-remodeled building for a lunch room business.
Talk about women assisting in the war effort! Mrs. Sheret, who is nearly 70 years of age, helped dig and pick up potatoes on an acre and a half of land.
Saturday, a raid was made on the premises of a Neillsville-are residence. Authorities seized eight or nine cases of beer and some whiskey. The resident will appear in court on Thursday for selling liquor without a license.
One of Clark County’s early settlers passed away last week. Mary Ellen Howard was born April 21, 1858, in the Town of Grant, to Robert and Rachel Howard. She grew to womanhood on Pleasant Ridge, attending grade school near their home and later attended the Neillsville High School.
She married Sims Edward Blackman of Benenden, Kent, England on Dec. 3, 1878. Soon after their marriage, they set up housekeeping and farming on Pleasant Ridge which had been her home ever since.
The Blackman’s had three sons and three daughters. After the death of her husband in 1900, she continued to operate the farm with the help of her sons, caring for and educating her children to their adulthood.
Mrs. Blackman will be remembered for her willingness to help her neighbors during illnesses or other times of need.
She was a member of the Methodist Church. Rev. L. B. Colman officiated at the funeral service held in the Blackman home.
A contract of $28,000 for the construction of a dam spillway on the Eau Claire River in the Town of Mead was signed Monday by Lowell Schultz, chairman of the Clark County Park Commission and A. E. Stadler, chairman of the Clark County Board of Supervisors.
This is the first step in the creation of a 400-acre lake and county-owned recreation area in sections 28 and 29 of the Town of Mead. The Clark County Board appropriated $30,000 for the project last fall.
The plan of the county is to maintain the area as a recreation spot for residents of the county. About 200 cottage sites will be leased to individuals on the edge of the lake. County Clerk Mike Krultz, Jr., said that 26 people have applied for leases and have deposited lease money with his office.
Fred Jensen, an employee of the state conservation department, will complete drawing up the outlined plans for construction by March 1, 1949.
The Nelson Construction Co. will start working on the Mead Dam construction this fall.
A fire swept through the August Ehlers cheese factory last Friday noon.
The factory is located about five miles southeast of Thorp, in the Town of Reseburg. Until recently, the factory had been operated by the Yaeger brothers and was taken over by Ed Franz on August 15 of this year.
Franz and an apprentice cheesemaker were working in the plant unaware of the blaze when it was discovered by Mrs. William Przybylski who lives across the town road from the factory.
Przybylski ran to the factory and notified the men about the fire. With help, they were able to save the factory’s two agitators, a stainless steel vat, a Kusel cheese press and a variety of groceries.
The plant had been handling about 10,000 pounds of milk daily. The milk is now being hauled to Meinholdt’s Pleasant Ridge cheese factory, located about nine miles northwest of Greenwood.
Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Lazotte were married on August 28, in Dubuque, Iowa. Attendants were Harry and Lorraine Francis of Neillsville. The bride is the former Shirley Haugen, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Haugen, and the groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Lazotte, Sr., all of Neillsville.
The newly-remodeled basement of St. Mary’s Catholic Church will receive its first public inspection during the parish’s annual chicken dinner and picnic on Sunday.’
A group of about 12 men have done considerable work there this summer in re-doing the basement interior. Those working with the painting bee last Thursday night were: John and Joe Resong, Ray Burr, Bill Schwellenbach, Max Feuerstein, Charles and Tony Svetlik, Ralph Bauer, Henry Zugich, Leo Kessler, Henry Hauser, and the janitor, Leander Schuld.
In addition to the décor improvements, the heating system has been renovated to provide more heating area; a new 10-burner hotel range with two ovens has been installed; and a 40-gallon water heater has been installed.
A total of more than 375 chickens have been ordered for Sunday’s supper. Serving will begin at 4 p.m.
After months of indecision and dispute, Wisconsin Conservation authorities this week informed deer hunters what kind of deer they will be permitted to hunt this season.
There will be a buck-only season for nine days, beginning Nov. 20. The Conservation Commission voted five to one for another hunt for forked horn deer.
A conscience payment of $5 has been made to the Clark County Fair Board. The payment came in the form of a money order, with a letter signed by the sender. The letter stated that the payment was made because the writer once climbed the fence into the fairground without paying gate fee. At another time, rode through the gate hidden in a load of hay. The person making the amends no longer lives in Clark County.
On Sept. 24, there will be an auction six miles west of Neillsville on Highway 10. The property of the Stables Garage will be sold and the owner is John Ciokiewitcz.
The quality of individuals is reflected in the standards they set for themselves. – Ray Kroc
Hewett Street traffic traveled over the O’Neill Creek via the overhead truss bridge for many years. At the far left, a team of horses can be seen, as well as the 1874 Clark County Courthouse dome through the steel framework. Timbers are visible in the dam structure. At the far right and background is the Kleckner Feed Mill or livery barn.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs