Index of "Good Old Days" Articles
Good Old Days--Transcribed by Sharon Schulte
Clark County Press
June 3, 1998, Page 32
Clark County News
The work in erecting three houses in the southern part of Neillsville for Hewett, Woods & Co., by Simpson & Eyerly, has been in progress. A week ago yesterday, they started putting the timbers together. By the end of the week, one house was finished and ready for a family to move into.
The County Commissioners, who were appointed to section off the Black River Road and estimate the repair costs, have made their report to the County Board. The cost of improving the road by sections, except sections seven and eight which pass through the village of Neillsville, is estimated at $10,430.
O. P. Wells is determined to keep up with the general custom here this summer. He will join other horse-flesh owners who have been building horse barns. Wells’ barn will be put up in the rear of the Neillsville Horse barn.
The rain showers which fell the fore part of last week has proved a God-send to the lumbermen of Black River. The logs have been running at a glorious rate. Logs in the Popple River have been cleaned out as well as most of the logs in Rock River. The Main Drive on the Black River is down as far as Eaton’s Mill, where they have been suspended for the present. It is estimated that over forty million feet of logs have gone into the main boom at the mouth of the river. This will fill the boom to its utmost capacity, but the way the men handle the logs, there will soon be room for another allotment.
Gardeners here are selling freshly picked strawberries for 15 or 20 cents per quart.
The people of school district number two, in this town, are proud of their new school house built by Orson Cornwell. Miss Mary Wood started teaching there last Monday.
Henry Staring has opened a new barber shop, one door west of the Union House. He is prepared to do everything in the tonsorial line at reasonable rates. "Hank" is a good fellow and deserves patronage. Simpson & Eyerly, carpenters and joiners, have opened a shop one door north.
Some boys in town caught a little purple Martin bird the other day. They tied a piece of red flannel to one of its legs, about a foot long, and an inch wide, then let it free. The bird is frequently seen flying through the streets, skirting the roof tops and green foliage of the trees with the red cloth fluttering at full length behind him. It makes a great contract of colors and an admiring sight to many who watch him. It seems these birds make quite a circuit for this one has been seen more than a mile from home. It is apparently difficult for him to keep up with his companions.
The Esch building, opposite the Press office, is being divided up into seven rooms, three rooms for Dr. J. W. Brewster, three for Esch Lacey, and a rear room to be occupied by the Deutsch-Amerikaner office. The building back of writer’s office will be used as a barn for "Kit", his horse.
Dells Dam is planning to celebrate Children’s Day on June 11 at 10 a.m. at Mr. Braman’s place. There will be singing and speaking, after which a dinner will be served. They have ordered an eleven dollar banner for the occasion.
Workmen have been busy tearing down the old Reddan House on Fifth Street. Alex Halverson bought the material, which is being hauled to the lot opposite the Freer Shop near the depot. The Reddan House was a popular hotel, the center of much activity. After the hotel closed, it was used by poor families under various arrangements, some being of the city charge. The structure was a patched up affair and not worth trying to preserve. The lots location makes it a valuable building site.
The Goodlaxon farm, in West Pine Valley, will be let to a good tenant free of rent. Apply to M.C. Ring.
Dr. Briggs has been found guilty of heresy by the Presbyterian Church and slides out of the church. It is awful.
Lowe Bros have brought property occupied by Chas. Lee’s confectionery and fruit store. Jas. Hewett had owned it for many years. The new owners will put up a new building there in the near future.
The corner stone of the Presbyterian Church at Dells Dam will be laid June 20 at 11 a.m. Mr. Brown from Marshfield and Rev. Hendren will address the congregation. Afterwards, a warm dinner will be served for 25 cents each.
The Methodist Church in Christie is to be dedicated on June 18. Elder Bushnell, presiding elder of the Ashland district and other ministers will attend.
About noon, last Tuesday, a fire broke out at the Hein stave and heading mill, where the drying house was ablaze. The structure was of wood, with iron roof and two tall wooden box ventilators. There were 30 carloads, of basswood heading piled upon cars, which had been run into the dry house on iron tracks. Three sets of hoses were attached to the hydrants in the neighborhood and streams of water turned on the burning building. The fire was under the heading and impossible to extinguish.
The mill building, sheds, piles of stock, etc. were kept wet. A careful watch was kept on the furniture factory to the west.
Hein’s loss is every cent of $5,000. The mill will have to stop work until a new dry house is built.
The Neillsville Creamery Co., with capital stocks of $2,000 filed Articles of Incorporation with the Secretary of State. The incorporators are B. E. Luethe, S. A. Walker, C.A. Youmans and James O’Neill.
Wood was 22 cents a pound last June. This June it is 13 or 14 cents. Mutton will be cheaper also.
Washburn people are organized and making a big effort to have a Fourth of July celebration, which will be held at Walter’s school house corner. Prof. Phillips will furnish music. There will be ice cream, lemonade, nuts, candy, etc. sold. Games of all kinds will be played. Sherwood Forest, Grant and Levis people are invited to attend.
Homer Root, for over 60 years a prominent figure in the business and official life of Clark County, passed away at the Owen Hospital Sunday evening after an illness of about a month. His death is like the passing of a landmark.
Root lacked less than a month of being 93 years old, born in Guilford, New York, June 22, 1845. Engaging in the lumbering business on the Black River in 1869, he established headquarters at Greenwood. From 1874 to 1885, Root and B.F. Thompson formed a partnership, logging 55,000,000 feet of pine. For 19 years, he pursued the logging business, during which time he developed a farm near Greenwood and served as Town Clerk of Eaton, ten years.
George E. Crothers, far right, wearing derby hat, was owner of the Republican-Press for a few years in the 1900s. Here he and two pressmen view a newly printed edition. (Photo supplied by Geo. H. Crothers)
In the fall of 1888, he was elected as Clark County Clerk, serving in that office eight years and moved to Neillsville. Geo. E. Crothers was elected County Superintendent in 1888 and they enjoyed many visits through the years. For a time, Root served as Register of Deeds. Root was active in the Republican Party in county, district and state conventions. In 1888, he was Chairman of the Republican State Central Committee.
Root opened a private bank in Neillsville during 1888, which later became the nucleus of the Commercial Bank of Neillsville. He served as cashier until 1916 when he became President of the bank. Root was frequently called upon for advice on financial and business affairs in Clark County.,
Not only was Root a keen business man, but he did a great deal of reading and had a fine library in his home. A garden with many beautiful flowers was also one of his joys for many years.
Root was married in 1891 to Mary J. Huntzicker, who preceded him in death.
In recent years, before his health began to fail, Root had made his home at the Merchants Hotel in this city, where many of the pioneers enjoyed visiting with him. Before he left for the Owen Hospital, he called his old friends in Neillsville to bid them good bye.
It is with deep regret that both young and old friends note the passing of a pioneer whose life encompassed almost an entire history and development in Clark County.
Funeral services were held at the Lowe Funeral Home with Rev. G. W. Longnecker officiating. The body was taken to St. Paul for cremation, following which the ashes will be deposited in the Greenwood Cemetery.
Thomas Goodell of Spokeville, Albert Darton of Loyal and Sylvester Warner of Thorp, all past 90 years of age and the last surviving veterans of the Civil War living in Clark County, have received invitations to attend the Grand Army Encampment, which will be held at Gettysburg Pa. June 29 to June 6.
All expenses of the trip will be paid by the federal government, including a male attendant for each veteran. Warner will journey with members from the Eau Claire post of which he is a member. Goodell and Darton feel the trip will be too long so will not go.
Marsh’s Store, established in 1887, is quitting business. A store-wide clearance sale is in progress at the corner of Hewett and 5th Streets.
Shedden Variety Store is going out of business in Neillsville. Harold Sheddan has operated the store for nine years. The entire stock will be sold at sacrifice prices. Before engaging in business for himself here, Sheddan held a position with American Stores Dairy Co.
The Lewerenz Sweet Shop opened this month for business in the former garage building on South Hewett Street. Otto Lewerenz, proprietor, did some extensive remodeling and is receiving many compliments on the new place of business. There will be a root beer stand at the front which isn’t completed as yet.
Lewerenz has started serving meals, the ice cream he manufactures himself, fountain drinks and confections. For the past year, he had been conducting a smaller place of business in his building on Fifth Street.
Nearly 2,000 visitors were escorted through the new $50,000 post office here Saturday afternoon and evening by Postmaster Frosty Kurth and his assistants.
The Neillsville Maytag Co., John Schiesel, Proprietor, is holding the first anniversary in business sale. Schiesel has reported selling two carloads of Maytag washers, 70 Philcos, 28 Frigidaires and had good sales in other departments. John Resong assists in the store as repairman. Mrs. Schiesel does the booking and assists in sales. Their son, Donald plans to joint the business later.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs