Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
March 4, 1998, Page 15
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
IN THE Good Old Days
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Robert Ross has built a fine residence about two miles south of our village. It is a two story frame house, 32 x 34 ft., with a south wing, 20 x 32 ft. It was built by Simpson & Eyerly, an example of architectural proficiency.
We are glad to learn that a new survey of the route for the proposed Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railroad is to be made soon, and it will cross Black River in the vicinity of Neillsville. This news is great encouragement to Clark County’s future.
Henry Myers and George Lloyd came out of the woods Saturday, after a successful winter’s work. They have put in over 2,400,000 feet of logs.
The season for lumbering/logging this winter on the Black River and its tributaries may be considered at an end. The weather has been so warm the past few days, with a rainstorm yesterday, it has proved most destructive to the snow. Many camps have “pulled up stakes,” yet there are a number of lumbermen at work on short roads, determined to put in logs as long as it remains the least bit profitable. It is said, the season has not closed so early for nine years.
There is a very enterprising firm on Black River, Hewett and Woods Co. They steadily add to the improvements of the county and to their own wealth with some new and needful institutions. Many people aren’t aware of it until the noise of some new machinery is in motion in their midst. This firm owns the only flouring mill and saw mill in this village. The latest evidence of their enterprise is the putting up of new and improved machinery for a planing mill. It will be capable of planing 1,000 feet of flooring per hour. In addition, there is to be enough power and shafting for a sash and door factory, the machinery is to arrive soon.
The ice in Black River is going out, as of March 20. The water has raised and a few logs have started down stream. Present indications are not favorable for the spring drive.
A clothesline at the residence of Wm. T. Hutchinson was robbed of a few articles by some low petty thief, about 8 o’clock last Friday evening. Such a person should be publicly chastised and rode out of town on a rail, adorned in a coat of tar and feathers. Two or three days of honest labor would have procured the articles stolen and prevented another stain on the character of some wretch. This is not the first act of the kind in our village.
S. A. Andrus and G. N. Chidester, painters and glaziers, have formed an alliance. They intend soon to have a shop but for the present time orders may be left at the Neillsville House.
A. W. Clark’s mill on Cunningham Creek, two miles south of the village, is again in motion under the superintendent of L. C. Gotchy. Clark has been identified, with prominence, as a leader in the county’s lumbering interests for more than ten years.
Forty acres of hardwood timber nine miles from this village was sold recently by W. T. Hutchinson for $150.
Farmers are hard at work in this county. Some wheat has already been sown, this month. This is something very unusual in this county.
Neillsville has just had its first silver wedding. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Ross celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary at their fine residence on March 22nd. The pleasant episode brought together a party of a few ladies and gentlemen. It was the most happy affair which has yet occurred in our village. The sumptuous repast spread upon the table at five o’clock was never before surpassed in this county.
Ross, with his family, settled in this county over 19 years ago. He had no money when he came, but was master of indomitable will. He commenced work, suffering many reverses in fortune, but can now look back upon the past with pride and satisfaction. He has risen from poverty to affluence; from the trials of a frontier life to one of comfort reputed to a worth of over $100,000.
A large crowd witnessed the inspection of Co. A by Lieut. Clarence Sturdevant at the armory Monday evening. This was Lieut. Sturdevants first appearance in his home town wearing the uniform of the United States Engineer Corps. The inspection was a preliminary one in preparation for the regular inspection on April 10, when General Charles King will be the inspecting officer. Considering the fact that one-third of the Company is composed of new members, the showing made was very good.
A cooperative creamery has been organized at Christie with O. L. Robinson as president and Wm. Piske, secretary. The Lange Creamer has been purchased and will be put into operation at once. A good list of stockholders has been secured and a regular organization made.
Several meetings of farmers in the vicinity of Shortville have been held and a plan of organization is agree upon. Both the Lange Creamery and the Hyslop Skimming Station are to be purchased.
The Lange Creamery is to be operated on its present location, ‘til Oct. 1, when plans are to move it to the skimming station and the two will be united.
It may be of interest to the public to know that the La Crosse Water Power Co. intends to park the entire shoreline along the newly created lake at Hatfield. The length of the water front following the various indentations, bays and coves measures over 20 miles, all high shore, with many beautiful groves of pine and oak.
A fine continuous drive is planned around the Lake, crossing the Black River at Hatfield and again below Dells Dam. Brush and scrubby timber will be removed and the entire tract, about 1,000 acres, will be under the direction of a competent landscape artist.
Lots and acreage properties, with shore rights, will be offered to the public at reasonable prices.
The area saw mills are stocked with a fine reserve of logs. Trogner’s mill has the finest assortment of quality logs in years. Sereno Wren’s mill at Dells Dam is well stocked up and will soon be running. A big yard of logs is on the rollways at C. Turnow’s mill near Hutchings Corners. Another large log landing in Levis near Fred Sear’s will be sawed by Lautenbach’s portable mill. Wallace’s saw and shingle mills in East Washburn have in big stocks. A fine lot of logs are on the rollway northwest of the Mound to be sawed by Moldenhauer’s portable mill and Linster’s mill nearby has in a good stock.
There are various other points throughout the county being laded for portable mills. Nearly all of these logs have been hauled on the last run of sleighing.
An electric theatre is in Neillsville. Placida Hommel opened his Family Electric Theatre, the moving picture machine works fine and the views presented are interesting and life like. Hal Grow renders some of the most populate songs which are illustrated by the stereopticon. W. H. Neff acts as the electrician and Miss Laura Glass as pianist. Admission for adults 10 cents, children 5 cents
The biggest and best exhibit of buggies, surreys, etc., we have ever seen is assembled in Neillsville, set up on the third floor of Howard and Seif’s implement warehouse. They include such standard high grade makes as the Staver, North-western and Clark as well as the moderately priced Parry. The variety displays single and double buggies, carriages, surreys, spring wagons, “handy” wagons, and road carts.
Loyal approved a $100,000 school building addition by a vote of 34 to 1. Four new classrooms will be built on to the present structure.
Neillsville Warriors basketball team lost to Medford in sub-regional tournament by a 54-35 decision, closing their season. Phil Thompson, senior, was high-point man of the season with 290 points; Johnny Schwellenbach, junior, had 217 points; Chuck Glassbrenner, sophomore, scored 182 points; Tom Overman, senior, tallied 159 points and Duane Klatt, sophomore, scored 150 points.
A house warming and birthday party was held recently celebrating the birthday of Frederick Grap, Jr., at their new home above the Globe store. Several friends and family members attended the party.
Penny Days is in progress at Neillsville’s Penney’s Store. A man’s polished sheen, buckle-back jackets are only $2.27 each, and boy’s sizes $2.33 each. Toddler’s Easter coat and hat, $5 Boy’s flannel shirts, $1 each
Winners of the Women’s City Bowling tournament have been announced: Top two winners in Singles; Joan Matousek, 633 and Billie Garbisch, 591. The top two winners in doubles were Kathy Turner and Janice Wasserburger with 1199. All events without handicap won by Lettie Suckow, 1371; Evelyn Wachholz, 1324 and Susie Skroch, 1323. All events with handicap winners: Kathleen Turner, 1689; Janice Wasserburger, 1672 and Lettie Suckow, 1641.
A parade, circa 1910, drew a large crowd of spectators on a summer day along Hewett Street in Neillsville. Notice the main entrance to the Neillsville Bank: was located on the corner of the building, Sixth Street and Hewett Street corner. (Photo courtesy of Clark County Historical Jail Museum)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs