Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

July 23, 1997, Page 16

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 



IN THE Good Old Days


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News of 1882


Last night, some unknown party or parties borrowed a span of horses and democrat wagon from the barn of Jones Tompkins, in Greenwood.  They forgot to register, in consequences of which papers were made out and placed in the hands of officers who went in search of the missing team.  Tracks were found indicating the direction taken out of town.  About ten o’clock the next day, James Bryden discovered a horse feeding by the roadside a half mile east of Hemlock Dam.  The horse was wearing a halter which seemed unusual, so he tracked it back from where it came, in the woods.  A short distance in the trees, he found the other horse and missing wagon.  The thieves, having taken the harnesses, weren’t to be found.


Maple Works (now Granton)


Maple Works has a pool and billiard hall in the lower part of the furniture shop.


At our special school meeting held last week it was voted to build the proposed school house for two departments, County Superintendent Doolittle attended the meeting and aided in making some of the faint hearted understand the advantages of a graded school.


We notice that George Ure has erected a windmill pump on his farm which greatly improves the appearance of his premises.


An A.O.U.W. Lodge was established here last week.


Sherwood Forest


The new saw mill will be in operation in a few days.  Mr. Seeley is getting ready for business.  They have a good rig for sawing all kinds of lumber.  Those who want good lumber come and buy cheap for cash.


Mr. Wetzstein is about to purchase a new team for the purpose of carrying mail from Popple to Neillsville.


Mr. James is doing good work on the road between Popple, Tom LaFlesh’s and Seeley’s.


A good Templar’s Lodge is about to be established at Nevins, Deputy Marshal John S. Dore is to be organizer.




Dr. Briggs has purchased Mayville place and arrived with his family.


The J. H. Cooks, E. Creeds and F. H. Darlings attended a party, in Colby, given by Geo. Gocha, who has sold the Colby House and is soon to leave.  Nelson Hull, of Holton, is the new owner.




We shall soon rival Brooklyn as a city of churches.  The Methodists have stone on the ground and lumber sawed for a church, Rev. Schlung, pastor.  The Evangelical Church is already commencing on Main Street, Rev. Colander, pastor.  The Norwegian Baptists are also building on the turnpike, J. J. Lansworth giving the lot.


There was a pleasant little party at the boarding house last Saturday evening.  Our young people “tripped the light fantastic toe” until 11:57 p.m.  We hope they were home at twelve.  Of course, they did not break the Sabbath for a miss is as good as a mile.




A very pleasant and popular pastime of Neillsville young ladies is “wading” in O’Neill Creek and rambling along its “pebbly strand” bare footed.  While out walking last Sabbath, we saw four of our leading society girls indulging in the luxury.


Harvesting in the Court House Park has commenced.  The grass has been cut and stacked.


Local Market Report


Butter, fine grass made 20 cents; common 15 cents lb., cheese 14 cents, lb.; dressed meats – Beef 8 cents, lb; Pork 8 cents, on loaf 4 to 5 cents lb.; eggs 12 ½ cents, doz.; flour, common $7; Patent $10.


The material for the new telegraph line to Neillsville is nearly all here, and it is expected it will be put up shortly.


Dwight Roberts has rented the building now occupied by J. Hammel and Co., for a shoe store and will move his store to that place in a few days.


July 1927


Correspondents who contributed weekly news items from throughout Clark County, represented several communities were: Sleepy Hollow, East York, Nasonville, York Center Corners, Fremont, Humbird, Shortville, Columbia, Sydney, Southwest Grant, York and Weston, North Pine Valley, Christie, South Romadka, Sherwood, Heathville, Gorman, Loyal, Hendren and Foster, Levis, Cannonville, County Line, Seif, Hatfield, Lynn and Sunshine Corners.


Promotion for a new golf course has been prompted by E. H. Snyder due to the probability of the railroad company taking gravel from the center of the Dells Dam site, Riverside Course.  Snyder has taken option on the Marvin farm, west of Neillsville for the purpose of a new golf course.  An architect, O. W. Chapin, of the MacGregor Co. of Minneapolis, was here last week to look over the new site and lay out the course.


The Minneapolis Gravel Co. has begun working on surfacing the “cut-off” on U. S. Highway No. 10 (formerly Highway 18) between here and Fairchild.


Neillsville now has something of a big city air, the street name signs all being placed and the houses being numbered, to be finished this week.


The way is now open to secure free city mail delivery.  It may take several months to get the system established.


Bids will be received at the office of the city clerk of the City of Neillsville, on or before August 12, 1927, for the building constructing and laying of a concrete gutter and curb on and along Fifth Street.


Orange, lemon and pineapple sherbet for sale; at Kearn’s Drug Store


The average American farmer owns 31 acres.  His investment is $16,308 and average net return for 1926 was $1,133.


Curls, the pet spaniel of Mrs. Chas. Sherrat died Sunday, age of 18 years.  This pretty, affectionate little dog has long been a favorite in the neighborhood and we will all mourn this death.


July 1942


A congratulations, was received from Henry Morgenthau, Jr., secretary of the U. S. Treasury, on Clark County’s response to the war bond sales drive in June.  In June, Clark County residents invested more than $90,900 in bonds, over-subscribing the $56,900 quota set by the treasury department by more than $34,000.


The new “V-mail service” will be available in Neillsville shortly, according to an announcement made this week by the local postmaster.


V-mail is merely a single sheet of writing paper cut and glued in such a manner that it folds into a uniform and distinctively marked envelope.  Its use is only for the transmission of letters without enclosures to and from men in the armed forces outside the continental United States. 


To expedite V-mail where large volumes and long distances are involved, microfilming of letters will be carried out.  A picture of the letter is taken on a 16 millimeter film and transported overseas, where an enlargement is made on a sensitized sheet of paper.  This is done to conserve shipping space.


A schedule for the purpose of providing allotments of sugar to be used for canning purposes during the “second canning period” has been announced by the local war price and rationing board.  The schedule includes every city and village in the county, with visits to be made in the period from July 20 to July 30.


Applications for additional canning sugar may be made in Neillsville next Monday and Tuesday at the high school.  D. E. Peters, school superintendent will be in charge.


In all cases, applicants must have their war ration books with them to be able to inform the person who takes his application how many quarts were canned last year, how many quarts were used and how many quarts will be put up this year.


Neillsville and its surrounding countryside have collected 55 tons of rubber salvage in the recent campaign.  Area bulk gasoline dealers were the collection centers.  The scrap rubber will be picked up and used in reprocessing, and aid in the production of tires needed in the war effort.



Have no friends not equal to yourself – Confucius



Dale Carnegie Class #361, held in Neillsville

The Classes started September 29, 1959: Left to right, front row: Instructor, Les Sjobeck Amery, Wis., Graduate Assistants: Bill Krause, Withee, Ed Lehnen, Owen, and Art Drescher Neillsville.  2nd row: Lorretta Smith, Irene Vanderwyst, Doris Antrim, Irma Stucki, Clara Henchen, Hazel Hubing, Ruby Meihack, Margie Garbisch, Judy Berget and Rogene Gruenke.  3rd row: Vern Smith, LaVerne Vanderwyst, Rev. Eugene Antrim, Wayne Grap, Marvin Garbisch, Smith, Milford Tesmer, Dick Van Gorden, August Stremikis, Bill Meier, Lowell Schoengarth, Gene Ross, Lester Goke and Ray Paulson.  4th row: Alex Poziombke, Chuck Marvin, Jim Hannon, Frank Svetlik, Don Schiesel, Ervin Kroll, Russ Schmidt, Ernest Kuhn, Bob Reisner and Don Marg.  (Photo courtesy of Bill Lowe)



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel