Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

June 18, 1997, Page 28

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


IN THE Good Old Days


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman


Clark County News


June 1877


Mrs. O’Neill is filling up the rooms adjoining O’Neill’s grocery for an ice cream parlor.


A dance will be given at the O’Neill House next Thursday evening, music by Ingall’s Band.  A general invitation if extended; Tickets, including supper, $2.


A very wise act, preventing the destruction of birds, was passed last winter by the Legislature.  Anyone killing a bluebird, robin, swallow, meadow lark or any insect-devouring bird, can be fined one dollar for the first offense and five dollars for the second.  Boys, remember this.


Neverman and Sontag have completed improvements on their brewery in the winter, and now have one of the best establishments of the kind to be found in the state, outside of the larger towns.


George Trogner is building a wagon shop near his residence in the western part of town.


Campbell and Hommel are turning out some fine work from their carriage shop in this village.


The owner of a certain soprano cat that sings nightly on the roof near our window is hereby notified that the vocal attainments of that feline must be repressed, or that animal will be sent where tunes are never pitched higher than they can be sung. 


The people of Humbird have now fully completed arrangements for an old-time Fourth of July for 1877.  A general invitation is extended to the people of the county.


John Bellinger has a couple of young woodchucks in training, at his saloon, which promises to become very interesting pets.  They are quite tame and will follow him anywhere at his call.


$1,000 will buy a good farm in Clark County, situated in the Town of York, five miles from Neillsville; 160 acres of land with 35 acres well cleared and improved.  Apply to J. L. Gates


New Hardware Store, two doors west of the Presbyterian Church, O. P. Wells, proprietor: Heavy and shelf hardware, lumbermen’s supplies, farming implements – always on hand; First class tin shop in connection with hardware business.  (Business was on east Fifth St., near Hewett St.)


The fact was brought to light that the family of John Arquette, deserted by him some time ago, was found to be in a starving condition.  Their immediate needs were supplied by contributions solicited by Mrs. James O’Neill, Sr.  The town fathers should see that the family is not allowed to starve in the future.


June 1927


Neillsville council proceedings on May 27, 1927: Petition was granted for curb and gutters to be built on Fifth Street from Hewett Street to a point in front of the S. F. Hewett residence (now site of St. John’s Lutheran Church).


A petition was also granted to build and construct a concrete curb and gutter along both sides of South Hewett Street between Fourth and Division Streets.


A petition requesting the name of Seventh Street to be changed to Main Street was denied.


New chain store is coming to Neillsville, a unit of the Red Owl Stores.  The new chain grocery store will be in the Lowe building under a leasing arrangement.  Painters and decorators are at work and expect the store to be opening in two weeks.


Plans for a pavilion at Schuster Park are underway.  The building will be 24’ x 36’ with projecting eaves.  The floor will be concrete with seats around the structure.  The purpose of the building is for shelter in case of rain and that it (would) be large enough so a good sized picnic party could be accommodated under its roof.  It is to be of an artistic design and located near the playground equipment and not far from the well.


The pavilion will be built by funds furnished by Mr.& Mrs. W. L. Hemphill.  The additional lots were purchased by contributions from Neillsville business and professional men.


The Central Meat Market opens under new management, that of George M. May.  May has much experience and will ably make tasty quality homemade sausage as well as serve meats known to satisfy his customers’ needs.  The market will also sell green vegetables, not handling groceries.


Indications are that Highway 13 will be completed with pavement from Colby to Abbotsford


A speed limit of 40 miles per hour on highways outside of the city limits is now effective in Wisconsin as the Edwards bill has been signed. 


Licensing of automobile drivers has been added to the Wisconsin laws and it becomes effective Jan. 1, 1928.


A large auction will be held at the former Chas. Cornelius home on the south end of Clay Street, Saturday, June 25, beginning at 9 a.m.  A large amount of elegant furniture, household goods, and other personal property will be sold, besides the fine 3-story private residence, formerly owned by the late Chas. Cornelius, president of the First National Bank of Neillsville.  This beautiful home contains 21 rooms, 5 closets, hot water heated throughout, and all hardwood floors finished in natural grain oak, hand polished.  Two beautiful lots go with this house.  Five improved lots adjoining will also be sold.  Also one 2-story garage 22’ x 30’, one story and a half wood house 17’ x 24’, and three summer roosting sheds for chickens.  All these buildings are of t eh best materials and carefully built.  P. S. Temby, Proprietor


June 1957


Orrin W. Trindal, widely-known and highly respected Loyal merchant, underwent intricate heart surgery performed last February in Philadelphia, PA.


At age 63, he was the oldest man to submit to a new technique surgery to relieve a constricted heart valve with the help of an iron heart and lung.  He is the second man in Wisconsin to have it and the sixth in the United States.


Trindal’s explanation for the surgery was, “I was looking for a miracle and I found it.”


Rev. Eisenmann gave his first sermon at St. Mary’s congregation on Sunday morning, June 9.  A large group of the members gathered in the St. Mary’s recreation room Sunday night for a welcoming party for the new pastor.


Ground breaking services for the Calvary Lutheran Church will be held Sunday, June 23, at 10 a.m. by the Rev. I. J. Tanner and construction will start this week.


Electors of the Willard and West Eaton School Districts Monday night voted 32 to 7 to consolidate with the new Greenwood School District, bringing about the largest school district in Clark County.  Eleven school districts will make up the new consolidated school district.


Wedding Dance at the Silver Dome Ballroom, Saturday, June 22 honoring Lucille Greeler of Granton and Roger Tyler of Neillsville; music by the Hi-Landers Orchestra.


Wedding Dances at the Silver Dome Ballroom, Thurs., June 13: Double weddings of Mildred Kessler and Ernest Schwellenbach; as well as Elaine Kessler and James Haas wedding.  Saturday June 15, wedding dance of Janice Grottke and Jerry Ehlers


June 1967


Three members of the Neillsville High School chapter received State Farmers Degree awards at Green Lake Convention this week.  Recipients were Herman Seebandt, Charles Hagedorn and Robert Sebesta.  Rodney Dix of the Granton Future Farmers was named Star Farmer at the annual state convention.


A Neillsville Rotary Club golf foursome returned Tuesday from a golf tournament at Stoughton with a golf ball to show for its efforts.  The ball was won by Glenn (Gus) LeZotte.  He won it for shooting among the low scores of approximately 150 Rotarians “touring” the Stoughton Country Club course.  Others making the trip were Roland Jenni, Richard Tibbett and Henry Lukes.


The Rev. and Mrs. William Dushek and family arrived in Neillsville last week and are settled in the parsonage of the Neillsville Methodist Church.


Jeff Foster, rocket enthusiast, of Neillsville, took a rocket picture of the city from 720 feet above.  Jeff has been experimenting with rocketry for the past six year.  He is a sophomore at Neillsville High School.


Neillsville High School’s golf team will compete in state WIAA gold (golf?) tournament in Madison; team members are B. Knoff, J. Knoff, J. Schield and D. Roberts.


Neillsville Planning Mills processed a great amount of lumber during its existence along Grand Avenue, between Fourth and Fifth Streets. (Photo courtesy of Clark County Historical Society’s Jail Museum)


The pioneer lumbering Village of Neillsville had a boardwalk extending from the Hewett Wood store, corner of what is now, Fifth and Hewett Streets, west to the farm home of James Hewett.  Old time elegance is displayed with the dapper attire including beaver top hats of the gentlemen, riding in a classy barouche pulled by a matched team of dapple grey horses.  The men have refined attire and the classic barouche doesn’t seem to blend with the rough-lumber store fronts and boardwalk.  The scene would have been circa 1870.  (Photo courtesy of Elaine Free)



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel