Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
April 20, 1994, Page 16B
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Good Old Days" Articles
Good Old Days
Oldies by Dee Zimmerman
Soon after the Granton Village was platted, c.1880, several of the business buildings in Mapleworks were moved to sites in Granton. D. Parker built the first new store which was occupied by P. J. Kemmeter. W. H. Butler and H. A. Knorr built the general store in 1897, Schuelke and Schultz operated the store for four or five years, with Snaer managing the store the following years until 1910. H. C. Witte then operated the store as “Witte’s Cash Store” from 1910 to 1932.
In 1932, E. L. Witte took the ownership, changing the name to “Erhart’s Store.” The business was sold to Hawthorne in 1946, who sold to Kirk in 1948, known as the “Friendly Way Store.” In 1952, it was operated by Marvin Garbisch and Kirk, known as the “Red Owl Store,” until 1959. After its closing the building was converted into an apartment house with three apartments.
Spaete’s Market was established in 1929, by Alfred Spaete, when he purchased the “Granton Meat Market” from William Hart. Spaete actively maintained the business, until 1933, when Paul Spaete took over the reins, continuing until 1941 when Alfred Spaete resumed the operation. At that time, he also established a cold storage locker in the Kemmeter building, across the corner from his market. The entire grocery business was moved to that location in 1942. In 1946, Alfred Spaete sold the business to Carl Storm, then Horace Hack, later to Alvin Spaete and Alfred Drinsinger.
The Beaver Restaurant, located on the corner of First and Main Streets, was one of the first saloons in the Village built by Hoover. Mr. and Mrs. George Beaver purchased the building in 1901, operating it as a saloon. Later the saloon became a restaurant, operated by the Beavers until 1955 when the management was taken over by two daughters, Rosetta Meyer and Anita Landgraf.
The Rose brothers started a restaurant in 1926, selling to Leonard St. Dennis in 1930 who changed it into a tavern. Later operators were Kalkofen, Oestrich, Prebow, Koran, Markham and Schmidtke.
A late 20’s or early 30’s Maple Street/Main Street Granton view, photo taken from the North
This scene was captured by the photographer, in 1913, in front of the H. C. Witte general store in Granton. Those on the wagon, left to right, were Carl Storm, Rudy Sternitzky and Hank Neinas, (next two unidentified) Leland Gerber, Erhart Witte and Rosetta (Beaver) Meyer. The only one identified standing in front of the wagon, to the left, was Philmore Kemmeter.
A Granton Street Scene during the time there was a clinic and hospital in the town. Dr. Schwarze started a small hospital in the old Marsh house on the south side of Third Street, in 1906. In this photo, at the right, a sign reading “Quiet, Hospital Zone,” mailed to a post, indicates the hospital was still there. By the style of the cars on the street, the photo was possibly taken shortly before the hospital closed in 1942.
The Granton Volunteer Fire Department organized in May, 1916. They voted to buy a fire bell not to exceed $30.00 which was used for many years. The first fire truck was purchased in 1934. Above are the Granton Firemen who served their community in the 30’s or 40’s time period. Back row, left to right, (standing behind firehose): Paul Spaete, Elmer Marg, Sam Schroeder, Dr. Wink, Arlo Lautenbach, Martin Lautenbach, Arnold Garbisch and Vernon Peterson. Left to right, behind the windshield are; Art Eibergen, Tab Erickson and Chester Finnegan: Standing along the side of the truck, in front are: Lloyd Spry, Mike Zahradka, Carl Bladl, Clarence Nowack and Roland Quicker.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs