Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
December 28, 1994, Page 20
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Good Old Days
Clark County News
By Dee Zimmerman
Jan. 1895 – 100 Years Ago:
Last evening that band of brothers with big hearts and hearty mutual goodwill, the Knights of Pythias, held their annual installation and jollification with banquet, speeches, etc. It was held at their fine hall on Sixth Street.
C. H. Ebbe, purchasing agent for the Clark County poor farm, submitted the Monthly Statement for the month ending Dec. 31, 1894: Disbursements:
D. Dickinson & Co.; 56 Gals. Syrup…$15.68; 1 pr. Slippers…$1.15; 8 lbs. plug tobacco $2.40; 1 pr. Boots…$2.00; 1 pr. Overalls…85 cents; 1 pr. Shoes…$1.35; 1 sack corn meal…50 cents; 4 ½ yds Calico..56 cents.
C. C. Sniteman: 12 prescriptions…$6.30; lung balsam…$1.00; Wahoo bark… 20 cents; Maccobay snuff…50 cents; Wizard oil…$1.00; senna leaves…10 cents; U. S. liniment…50 cents.
Marsh Bros. Store 6 blankets…$3.42; 2 pr. mittens…50 cents;
Stanard & Eyerly…$3.25.
Esch & Lacey (physicians): Services for 3 patients…$11.25.
Western Union Telegram Co.: 2 messages…$1.31. G. Huntzicker, 2 dinners…50 cents; hotel bill…$1.15. Hans Hanson, salary… $18.00. Emma Paulson, salary…$9.96. There were 13 residents, 11 males, 2 females.
Editors Hartson of Greenwood Gleaner and Richardson of the Loyal Tribune are great admirers of real nice poetry and publish a great deal of it.
An irresponsible female is canvassing our neighboring cities selling pants buttons. She snaps one of her buttons on the pants of a married man and he is compelled to buy a box to explain to his wife where he got the buttons. In some instances she clips off two or three buttons and the victim has to buy a box or go around holding up his pants. If you should see a female peddler, you had better fight shy as she may prove to be this pants button fiend. She is a dandy. (Thorp Courier)
Emma Hendren of Greenwood visited her Neillsville friends and watched them do the “cotillion,” a lively French dance, at the club party.
The stave mill in Greenwood started up last Saturday, for the season. Bolts are coming in fast for the season, considering there is no snow.
N. C. Foster Lumber Co., of Fairchild, pays the most taxes in the Town of Eaton. The amount of tax was $1,240.
The New Year’s Eve ball at Unity was considered a success; the Mdes. Healy, Pettet and creed furnished the refreshments.
Jno. Cummings traded a colt to C. Cornelius for a sewing machine.
C. Haberlund purchased two mules from Johnny O’Brien of Levis last week, and Johnny felt so bad when he delivered the team that he went home and cried.
Wm. West of Pleasant Ridge is hauling hay to logging camp for $11.50 a ton.
Sereno Wren had four sheep killed by three dogs belonging to Krauser of the Wind Fall. The talented hunter and dog tracker, Frank Wren, shot one.
Town of York news: Nothing but the smoke stack of the old Visgar church mill is now standing the rest has been taken to Granton.
January 1920 – 75 Years Ago:
Licensed to marry: Ernest Eppich and Louise Theiler of Humbird; Irl Page of Glidden and Leda Mertes of Neillsville; Geo Lastofka and Clara Wendt of Neillsville; Geo Greggs, Jr. and Edna Bucher of Unity; H. L. Bestel of Hixon and Delia Tisdale of Longwood; Otto Goehring and Manda Ystad of Town of Beaver; Frank Christianson of Loyal and Adaline Horn of Marshfield.
$1,000 buys 120 acres, one-half mile from school and cheese factory, three-quarter mile from Lutheran church. Lies good, 30 acres nice timber. Fine 10 room house, fine large barns, James stanchions, silo, garage, etc., including 17 head cattle, team, crops and farm equipment.
Shortville news: Leap Year’s here. Girls have smiles with cheer.
We are making a chance for a Leap Year Dance. Thorp is to have a canning factory, according to the Courier, and will be built by the Big Four Canning Co. of Stanley.
East Lynn: It is reported that Fred Coppelle, the town treasurer, has built a rat proof box stall in the basement of his barn to store the money that he is collecting by taxes. After the rush is somewhat over it will be scooped up into gunny sacks and shipped to its proper destination. If your taxes are high this year don’t complain, but be thankful that they are not higher.
January 1945 – 50 Years Ago:
Herman Olson, Clark County Sheriff as of January 1, sys slot machines will continue out-of-business in the county.
Jos. Weidenhoff, Inc. comes to Neillsville in the year 1944 bringing employment for Neillsville residents in 1945.
Blue Moon builds a great business in Thorp, making Clark County Center of a nationwide dairy development, processing and distributing cheese.
Mrs. Joe Prock entertained the Kaffe Kranzchen Club, Thursday at her home on Clay Street. The ladies exchanged gifts and enjoyed a 5:30 dinner. It was the annual Christmas party of the club.
First baby of the year, born in Clark County, was a boy to Daniel Olson’s of Greenwood. Their first son was born two years ago, on New Year’s Day also.
Perle E. Catlin of Loyal died of injuries suffered in a car accident on Dec. 23.
Big Auction 3 miles east of Loyal, Louis Ratzburg, former owner.
Blood donors sought for help in January – Red Cross calls for the great need of blood plasma for the American troops. Please call Mr. Kintzele for arrangements to go to Eau Claire on Jan. 24 and 25 as donors are needed.
January 1970 – 25 Years Ago:
Marla Beaver installed as Queen of Job’s Daughters. Other officers installed were: Carol Schoengarth, senior princess; Sheryl Harder, junior princess; Kathy Lulloff, guide; Cindy John, Marshall; Debbie Knoll, chaplain, Jane Tock, treasurer; Nancy John, recorder; Margaret Drescher, musician; and Kay Mabie, librarian.
Arnold Rasmussen, retiring as the Clark County forestry and parks administrator on Jan. 1, was guest of honor at the Bali Hai supper club, where approximately 135 people gathered to show their appreciation of his work during his 10 years of service. Earl Smith, Clark county planning and zoning administrator served as master of ceremonies.
The Owen-Withee bank office in Curtiss was robbed of $2,100 by two men, and within three hours were rested a mile from the scene. County sheriff’s officers apprehended the men and found the money stuffed in the men’s overshoes.
Gallagher Mill, a planing mill which existed in the later 1800s and believed to have been on Grand Avenue.
The Neillsville Mill, a grist mill was located on the southern bank of O’Neill Creek along Hewett Street. The date of its origin, 1891, is displayed near the roof line as well as the business name. Owners were A. B. Marsh and W. L. Hemphill. It’s now the site of the Neillsville Fire Hall.
Paulson’s Garage on West 5th and Grand, Neillsville; as the sign indicates, Peter Paulson was the proprietor. The style of the cars sort of tells the era. (Photos courtesy of the Clark County Historical Society’s Jail Museum)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs