Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
November 23, 1994, Page 28
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Good Old Days" Articles
Good Old Days
By Dee Zimmerman
Looking back through some old newspapers, it was interesting to read how 100 years ago, a group of high school students combined efforts in soliciting signers for the Neillsville Public Library. This past year has been a busy time for another group of Neillsville area residents, who, also, are working with projects to generate funds to finance an addition to the present library building.
As the article reads: “A corps of high school scholars began the work of soliciting signers for the Neillsville Library Association, which under the stimulating generalship of Principal Morrison and Mr. C. S. Stockwell, promises to develop a healthy and vigorous demand for good reading in the community. After 100 signers have been secured and the $100 which their signatures call for are paid in, a meeting of the association will be called and an organization effected. New books will then be purchased and added to the old library. Mr. Stockwell has made a generous offer to attend the library half a day a week, or supply an assistant to do so, keeping the library at his office. Sign for the new library. It is the thing to keep boys and girls off the streets and keep boys away from the gambling joints.”
A bulletin board invitation to the local residents; Don’t forget this Thanksgiving dinner Friday night, Nov. 23rd, at the Unitarian Church:
Roast turkey, with brown gravy, oyster and sage dressing, cranberry sauce, salad, pickles, jellies, mashed potatoes, rutabagas, Mince, pumpkin and apple pies, cheese, rolls, graham bread and coffee. A 25˘ fee for this 6 o’clock dinner includes the choice programme of music, etc, that will follow the dinner.
At that time, 100 years ago, an accounting was made in the growth, progress of the city and community within the past year. Late November 1894, a progress report was published in the newspaper. “The year 1894 will be famous in History for its hard times, and on this account is a little short of a marvel of what a showing Neillsville has to report in growth for the 1894 building season, despite the hard times.”
Look at this list: Lute Marsh’s handsome new two-story frame dwelling on clay Street, ten rooms, furnace, oak finish, plate glass, superb in every detail, $3,000.
W. J. Brewster’s two-story nine room dwelling at the corner of Fourth and Court Streets (now Gesche Funeral Home) finished in light and dark birch, oak finish, with beveled plate glass front, two stories, with elevator, tiled hallway, steel roof, city water, sewer, electric lights in cement basement, main floor and second story. Cost $4,000.
The city has put in a new iron and steel bridge on Grand Avenue, over O’Neill Creek at a cost of $3,000. It has also put in $1,100 worth of city water extensions and $240.79 worth of sewer extension, besides what the school district paid for. The new water mains were laid east on Sixth Street, west on Fifth Street and south on Court Street.
Esch-Taylor two story business building, Hewett street, pressed brick, iron and plate glass front, 29 x 60 feet, all solid stone and brick, city water and sewer, steel roof, cost $400.
Mrs. Goger’s new residence, on Sixth Street, square frame, one story, cost $400.
Marx hotel extension, Seventh and West Streets, two-story, brick veneer, cost $1,500.
The Schroeder saloon building opposite the Marx hotel has been brick veneered this year, a barn built and hitching shed at the rear of it. Cost $700.
Jas. Rose built a new farm house up on Hewett hill, six rooms. Cost $600.
Methodist church parsonage, stone cellar and foundation put in.
Opera house, brick veneered with Neillsville brick, number of bricks used 65,000. Cost $1,000.
A Schoengarth brick veneered his fine residence near his brickyard.
A big store shed and addition were put up at the washboard factory.
Aug. Storm, new residence on Grand Ave. north, adjoining Mr. Unger’s home.
New foundation under the Norwegian Lutheran Church, corner Court and Fourth Streets.
75 years ago
Pleasant Ridge: Orlin Slocomb is a proud boy now with his first pair of long trousers.
Jim West celebrated his 12th birthday Sunday.
South York Center: A number from here joined the crowd at North York last Saturday night and went to Will Benedicts home for a surprise birthday party, the surprise of his life. All present had a fine time and the refreshments were very much enjoyed.
Chas. Buddinger is the latest Ford victim.
George Bowers and family have moved and are settled on their new farm.
Globe: Walter and Rosa Mitte, Frieda Schoenerr and Willie Lueck were called to Minnesota Monday by the sudden death of their cousin, Mary Georgius.
Carl Klueckman of Idaho is here to visit his cousins.
Neillsville News: Peter Paulson drove two Dodge touring cars back, which were shipped here, expects two more. Paulson states that the Dodge sells as fast as sugar around his town of Black River Falls.
A basket social will be held at the Silver Crest School, Pine Valley Dist. No. 3 Wednesday evening November 26. A cordial invitation is extended to all.
Bruley Elevator Co., Neillsville, will grind your wheat and rye into flour on short notice.
A winter scene of the 500 block of Hewett Street, east side, from the 5th Street intersection, looking north circa 1885-1890. The first building was that of Balch-Tragsdorf general merchandise store. Next business was Zimmerman Drugs, there for only a short time. Later Jule Neverman had a tea and coffee store, and then Nick Gangler used the building for a variety store. Eventually the building was razed and a new structure erected to accommodate space for the Schultz Bros. business.
As you can see, Hewett Street has always been busy, even during the horse and wagon days, traffic became backed-up at times. This view was taken, looking south with 6th Street intersection in center, the O’Neill House (hotel) partially visible behind the load of hay. Hay had to be hauled into town for the livery stables and barns owned by the hotels. Not only the hotel guests had to dine, but their horses had to be fed and cared for during the stay. The O’Neill House site is now that of the post office.
Hewett Street, looking north, near the 8th Street intersection. At the left, the Milk Condensery is in view. The Kleckner elevator is on the right, next to the railroad tracks. After the elevator building was torn down, the American Legion built a facility on that lot. (Photos courtesy of the Clark County Historical Society Jail Museum)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs