Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
September 23, 1993, Page 28
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Good Old Days" Articles
Good Old Days
By Dee Zimmerman
The original letter dated September 10, 1892, with the building estimates for the Congregational Church is on file at the Clark County Historical Jail Museum.
The contractor-builder, George W. Trogner, wrote as follows:
“To the Building committee of the Congregational Church, in the City of Neillsville;
I will build your church according to plans and specifications now in your hands. Drawn by McGilli, and myself to furnish all material and complete the building on the outside with a steel roof and veneered with good brick, lay the floor on joists and have it ready for the lath.
Complete for the sum of two thousand, three hundred seventy-five dollars ($2, 375.00) in a good and workman like manner, and I will furnish bonds for the same.”
Signed, G. W. Trogner
The Congregational Church on the corner of 5th and West Street built in 1893. It was razed circa 1972-74. The Mid-Wis. Neillsville Bank is now located on that corner lot.
A Sunday school class of the Congregational Church, circa 1920’s, first and second row: Vilas Bruley, Bob Rush, John Matson, Harry Wasserburger, Bronstead (wearing cap), Fred Timmler and Sid Patey (the teacher). Back row: Alfred Zaeske (wearing cap), Merritt Schweinler, Marian Bradbury (wearing glasses), Francis Schweinler and Jake Hoesly (wearing cap). Jake Hoesly is the only survivor and lives in Neillsville. (Thanks to Clark County Historical Society and Marian Ray for photos).
A c.1939-1940 photo of the Men’s Club members of the Congregational and Zion German Reformed churches in Neillsville; Front row, (left to right): Gust Deutsch, Paulson boy, Claude Paulson, James Musil and Jim Hauge. Second row: first man is unidentified, Sid Patey, Harlan Kinsley, Art Wilding, Arthur Imig, Joe Ylvisaker, John Mattson, Emer Robinson and Thad Zajac. Third row: Mr. Dahnert, next three unidentified, Jess Scott, Fred Stelloh, Ervin Fern, Ole Aspen and Henry Markwardt. Back row: first unidentified, Rev. Dechart, Mr. Korth and last two unidentified. (Thanks to Dan Patey for the photo. Also thanks to the combined efforts of Jim Hauge, Thad and Lorraine Zajac, Ruth Ebert, Marian Ray and Mrs. Carl in identifying those in the picture).
Clark County Press News of July 1893
The last section of the Reddan house is a goner. A small new house, being built by lumber from the Reddan house, is going up on 9th Street, west of Al Marsh’s.
Lovers are said to congregate in considerable numbers upon the baseball ground grandstand o’nights, to coo and be cooed. They wooed if they cooed.
The city council wants to get that disgusting, rotten old jail out of the public alley on the city lot or some citizens we know of will tip the darned thing over.
Frankie Brown and Minnie Dangers gave a lawn party Saturday night at the Dangers residence. The lawn was gaily lighted with Chinese lanterns, and some of the rooms were cleared for dancing. Refreshments were served to a large company, which was in all respects well and gratefully entertained.
Church News: The Katel brothers began laying brick on the new Congregational Church, July 1, 1893.
The cornerstone of the new Lutheran Church at Loyal will be laid July 23, with very impressive services.
Artist Walt Calway painteth the Congregational Church.
Old Settlers Deal:
A transfer of real estate was made Saturday which will be of interest to the old brigade of Neillsville and Pine Valley residents. Mrs. Frank Cawley sold her large house, with the land, barn, etc. at the south end of Hewett Street to Ezra Tompkins. This brings the Tompkins folks close to town, but still out of corporate limits, and Ez will continue a Pine Valley man. It would be a real nice idea to extend the south limit of the city down to the half section line of 23 and thus ring in Ez., Esch and Jim Taylor. Ez will improve the place and make it a first class city residence.
A belated thank you to Irene Kapusta for contributing photos and the 1914-1915 Neillsville High School Annuals for us to copy: Irene’s mother Bessie (Rose) Selves was a 1915 graduate. The article appeared in the September 9, 1993 Clark County Press).
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs