Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

  September 2, 1993, Page 28

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Good Old Days" Articles 



Good Old Days  


By Dee Zimmerman


Local news items taken from an August, 1893, issue of the Neillsville Times:


“It is not generally known that E. M. Holden has bought the second house in the Gates row of tenants, counting from the north, and is preparing to add a front porch, a wing and a bay-window.  He will make it a very desirable residence.”


“Many farmers are holding their wool, and will hold their wheat, until the panic subsides and the prices rise.”


“A tremendous rain and hail storm occurred here last Friday, and for a time the wind blew up almost a cyclone.  Farmers especially out west of town report that the cabbage ‘got it in the neck,’ and much other garden stuff suffered.  The corn fields hung their ears like tired mules for a few days after the storm.”


“Citizens living along the new line of sewer should promptly connect it with their houses, and thus as soon as possible relieve the central section of the city of the numerous and unsightly privies.  An ordinance compelling this in the business blocks would be a good thing.  Water-closets can be bought all the way from $2.00 to $200.00 each.”


“Addie Neff of West Superior has been among relatives and friends here for a week or two, fresh from the Columbian exposition.”


“A new sidewalk has been laid in front of the Balch & Tragsdorf store.”  (Their store was located on the northeast corner of 5th and Hewett.)


“The local militia company A, of the 3d, left Sunday morning for Camp Douglas on a special train, and the boys are soldiering it hard at the state encampment this week.  They will be home Saturday, scarred, battered and tanned, weary with fun and drilling.”


“On Friday evening of next week, Aug. 18, the Unitarian choir has arranged to give a concert that is designed to make use of the best musical talent in the city, and will be unquestionably one of the treats of the season.  Male quartette songs, mandolin solos, guitar solos, duets, mixed voices, vocal solos, etc, will make a program that must attract a houseful.  The Unitarian Church will be used, and as it has electric lights, and the very best of acoustic properties, excellent ventilation and easy seats, a most pleasant evening is assured.”


“C. F. Schulz Property for sale – Property at the corner of Sixth and Court streets is for sale.  It is for sale at a price that makes it a bargain.  A new iron roof was put on last year, and the improvements recently made are first-class and extensive.”


Greenwood Gleaner, News:  Fish, Maxwell & Co., of Hickville, Ohio, has leased the mill on the west side of the river and will stock it and manufacture wooden handles of all descriptions.  The plant will be known as the Greenwood Handle Factory, and when fully established will give employment to 80 hands.


Church News:  The ladies of the Presbyterian Society will hold a lawn sociable at the residence of J. C. McIntire, Thursday evening.  To all a cordial invitation


Rev. John Spears of Marshfield will preach Sunday morning and evening in the Methodist Church.  Sacrament at 12


Teacher Institute: An institute of one week will be held at Greenwood, beginning August 14.  Prof. W. J. Brier and Miss L. Washburn of River Falls Normal, (are the) conductors.  No manuals can be furnished by the Department this fall and are requested to bring their old copies.  All should be prepared to expend forty to fifty cents in reading matter, to be used in work.


Neillsville’s first Water Supply Building


The first water stand pipe


The west side of Hewett Street, between 5th and 6th Streets as viewed circa 1920


The Hewett Street Bridge that spanned O’Neill Creek: partially visible is the flour mill, later the milk Condensery building, in center of photo.  At the right, is the first Neillsville electric plant, now site of the Northern States Power transformer station


Neillsville Clippers – 1886 Season Baseball Champions team



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel