Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
December 9, 1993, Page 32
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Good Old Days" Articles
Good Old Days
By Dee Zimmerman
The First National Bank building, corner of Hewett and 5th Streets, was built by Charles Cornelius in 1910. That same year, Cornelius built his fine, large 3-story home on the corner of 2nd and Clay Streets.
The First National Bank building as it appeared shortly after its construction in 1910
Prochaskas leased half of the First National Bank building for their Clover Farm Stores grocery business, as this 1930ís photo indicates. The second floor provided office space for law practices, etc.
The bankís National Charter was issued in 1943 and the official set-up organized under the then enacted national banking law. It then became a member of the Federal Reserve System under the Federal law for the guarantee of deposits.
Officers and directors in 1945 were: Fred Stelloh, President; Jas A. Musil, Vice President and Cashier; W. H. Allen, Assistant Cashier; Leslie W. Yorkston, Assít Cashier, Victor W. Nehs, Director and Wendell H. Crothers, Director. The bank officers served as directors. Other bank personnel were Walter Beilfuss, Mrs. Iris Randall, Miss Adeline Knoop and Miss Arlene Opelt.
The bank building was remodeled at different times through the years. Only half of the first floor space was needed at the beginning of its business. In later years after the Clover Farm Stores closed, the entire first floor was remodeled to accommodate the growing needs of banking.
In recent years, the First National Bank has had a name change, becoming the M& I National Bank of Neillsville. Also, it has moved to a new facility on Division Street.
Stelloh Implement, corner of 5th and Grand Ave., began business in 1905. The first manure spreader in Clark County was sold by Stelloh to Louis Moh of the Granton area.
There were other first sales for Stelloh, such as DeLaval Separator sold to Wm. Rowe, Town of York; Gas engine sold to Fred Putkammer, Sr., on the Globe Road; First All-Crop combine purchased by Dan Gluch and son of Granton area.
An inside view of the Stelloh Garage and Implement Shop office, corner of West 5th and Grand Ave., in the 20ís. Fred Stelloh is seated at the desk. At his left, an unidentified customer, Fredís brother, Conrad, who worked in the business; and Fredís father-in-law, August Wegner. Back in that time, implement shops were one of the good places for the men to gather for some ďmenís talkĒ when they came to town, once a week.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs