Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
September 10, 1992, Page 24
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Good Old Days" Articles
Good Old Days
(Click on Photos to enlarge them)
By Dee Zimmerman
RESIDENCE OF MONT E. BROWN
Mont Brown came to Clark County in 1868 from the state of Maine. He was seventeen years old and started working in the logging camps. In 1870, he began working for the John Paul Lumber Company of La Crosse. The John Paul Company had a large portion of its business in the county at that time. Mont became manager of the camps and other company business within the county.
Mr. Brown built a residence in Neillsville (as shown in the above etching). It was listed as a “neat and pleasant residence located on one of the prettiest spots in Neillsville.”
LIVERY STABLE OF E. D. WEBSTER
This drawing was that of the E. D. Webster Livery Stable which was located along Hewett Street and O’Neill Creek. “At that time, it was the largest and best managed establishments of its kind in Central Wisconsin. From sixteen to eighteen horses were kept, as well as fine carriages and turnouts of all kinds, ready for rent to its customers. (A turnout was a carriage or wagon with horse or horses, harnessed, equipped and ready to go).
Mr. Webster was born in Green County and lived there during his youth and teenage years. He then went to Whitehall, Wisconsin, where he lived and started a livery business, operating the business there for eight years. He sold the business and moved to Neillsville where he purchased the livery stable.
JUSTICE AND HARTSON’S STORE
During the later 1800’s a hardware business was started in Greenwood by David Justice and Henry Hartson. Mr. Justice was a native of New York. He came to Wisconsin in early 1859 and to Clark County in 1885, being a resident of Greenwood as of 1887.
Mr. Hartson was a junior member of the business. He was a native of Adams County, coming to Clark County in 1872. He taught school in the county for a few years. After quitting teaching, he was one of the Hartson Brothers who ran the Neillsville and Withee stage line for a few years.
Justice and Hartson became business partners in 1887 when they worked exclusively in the hardware business. During that time it was quoted as, “They had a large stock of hardware and a very good trade.”
GREENWOOD SCHOOL HOUSE
At the turn of the Century this building was occupied by the graded school at Greenwood. Records noted that it was of good planning and construction. Also, it was nicely finished and furnished for the purpose of a school building.
In the beginning of its use, it was divided into two departments. Later, it served three departments and employed three teachers. It was built and designed for four departments which were realized as the population of the village grew. The school officers were Robert S. Schofield, S. M. Andrews and James Bryden.
ONE HUNDRED YEARS AGO- 1892
Compiled by Terry Johnson
On the front page of the Times ran a listing of the Republican ticket. For President, Benjamin Harrison of Indiana; for vice president, Whitelaw Reid of New York; among the state-wide races, James O’Neill of Clark County [Neillsville] was a candidate for the Congressional district was M. H. McCord of Lincoln.
On the county Republican ticket, B. M. Fullmer of Loyal was running for Assembly, J. W. Page of Mentor for Sheriff, C. M. Bradford of Sherman for County Treasurer, H. M. Root of Neillsville for County Clerk, C. S. Stockwell of Sherwood Forest for Clerk of Court, Wm Zassenhaus of Green Grove for Register of Deeds, Geo. B. Parkhill of Thorp for District Attorney, Geo. E. Crothers of Withee for County School Superintendent, J. H. Reddan of Neillsville for County Surveyor, and D. R. Freeman of Colby for Coroner. (Sorry, Democrats, your ticket was not listed like this, so I am guessing this was a statement of the editor’s position.)
Also front page: “Prof. Barnard of the Lick observatory has discovered that Jupiter has a fifth moon, nearer that planet than either of the other four discovered by Galileo in 1610. This stupendous discovery has electrified the scientific world, and gives the discoverer immortal fame.”
A free trade bill for wool was being considered by Congress. Figures given stated that there were 2,000,000 American wool growers; “that they owned at least 45,000,000 sheep, valued at $117,500,000; that the domestic wool clip this year is over 300,000,000 pounds and that its value to the men who produce it is not far from $75,000,000.” The editor continued, “These striking figures will doubtlessly convey to many a person a new idea of the magnitude of the American wool growing industry. It is an industry whose importance to the country it would be hard to overestimate.”
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs