Church: Owen St.
Katherine’s Episcopal – New Pastor ( Nov 1976)
---------Source: Owen Enterprise (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 10 Nov 1976
We welcome to the community the Reverend Eugene Stillings, recently appointed Cannon-Missionary of the Episcopal Diocese of Eau Claire.
Father Stillings and his wife, Marilynn, familiarly known as “Gypsy,” will make their home in Owen, where he will serve St. Katherine’s Parish. He will also hold services at Park Falls, Lugerville and Medford, as well as ministering got scattered Episcopalians in the area.
A native son of Ohio, Father Stillings was graduated from Ohio State University, Bachelor of Science in 1942, and Master of Science in 1947. In World War II he served both in this country and in the European Theatre as an artillery officer. After finished graduate school he was a member of the faculty at the University of Utah for three years, and then worked in an agricultural chemicals firm until entering the seminary in 1954. He was assigned to St. Luke’s Mission, Shelbyville, Indiana after his ordination as a Deacon in June of 1957. In December of that year he was ordained as a priest.
In 1959 he was called to be Rector of St. Andrew’s Parish in Greencastle, Indiana. A major part of his ministry was as chaplain to Episcopal students at De Pauw University.
The Rector of grace Church on Capitol Square in Madison, Wisconsin invited him to be associate rector there in 1959.
Father Stillings come to Owen from St. James Church, Milwaukee, where he had served as Rector the past eight years.
Two of the Stillings’ five children are residents in the Eau Claire diocese, a son, Douglas, and their only daughter, Mary Ann, who is a student at UW-Stout in Menomonie.
Father Stillings has expressed his feeling of excitement and anticipation as he begins his new ministry here in Christ’s Name.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs