Church: Curtiss - History of
German Lutheran (1905)
Surnames: Matthias, Schroeder, Schultz, Tonn, Dunow, Klocke, Trapp, Jakel, Krusa, Bublitz, Jantsch, Klune, Karsten, Moge, Fokket, Richter, Eklanfelt, Schoenaman, Marquardt, Schaus, Wachsmuth, Pin, Heinzel, Martin, Watchonke, Hesch, Behaendt, Goetsch, Graf, Krause
----Source: Olson Family Scrapbook
During the summer of 1905, a group of early settlers organized to build St. Paul's Lutheran Church so they could worship in a church of their own. Previous services were held in what is now the Congregational Church.
The first members all worked hard together hauling stones, sand and gravel from the country. The new brick church was completed within a year. Late in 1905, the church was dedicated.
All records of our church were lost in a fire, but early members included the families of: Matthias, Schroeder, Schultz, Tonn, Dunow, Klocke, Trapp, Jakel, Krusa, Bublitz, Jantsch, Klune, Karsten, Moge, Fokket, Richter, Eklanfelt, Schoenaman, Marquardt, Schaus, Wachsmuth, Pink, Heinzel, Martin and Hollman. All these first members have been called to their heavenly home, but the names of Dunow, Tonn, Klocke and Jakel are still on the membership list, being sons of the charter members.
The ladies aid was organized in 1906 and during the years has given help to home and foreign missions. It also sends aid to the children's home in Milwaukee, Bethesda home at Watertown, Valpariaso University, The Lutheran Hour, a deaf and dumb school and the old folks' home.
St. Paul's congregation at Curtiss is served by pastors from St. Paul's congregation in the town of Green Grove. Rev. Watchonke was the first pastor, assisted by student, Hesch. Succeeding him were Rev. August Behaendt, Rev. Martin Goetsch, Rev. Paul Dietz, Rev. Wm. Grafe and our present Pastor Martin Krause.
for many years the German language was used exclusively in all church work. As English was spoken more in the homes and became the language of the younger generation, it was also used in the church and the German language was dropped.
In November 1955, the congregation celebrated its 50th Anniversary. Following the service a dinner was held in the village hall.
An annual event is the mission festival, sometimes observed with the Green Grove church and usually well attended.
Submitted by: Anna Tonn
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs