Church: Loyal - Trinity
Lutheran (Centennial 1983)
Contact: Kathleen E. Englebretson
Surnames: Kraly, Anderson, Leschensky, Humlie, Schlachtenaufen, Witte. Pieper, Kronberger, Olson, Noeldner, Fischer
---Source: Marshfield News-Herald (18 March 1983)
It was March 22, 1883 when the charter was issued for the now Trinity Lutheran Church in Loyal. According to the Rev. Joseph R. Kraly, who had been at Trinity Lutheran Church since 1979, it is time for the first of this year's three centennial celebrations, the congregation's theme to be "100 Years with Christ."
This Sunday the Rev. Bishop Vernon E. Anderson of Wausau will be in Loyal for the celebration of the Sacrament of Communion at the regular 10:30 a.m. service. The Adult and the children's Treble choirs will sing. Special recognition and awards will be given children who made outstanding posters pertaining to the centennial. Following the service, a potluck dinner for congregation and friends will be served in the Fellowship Hall.
The second phase of the celebration will be July 17, when the Rev. Eugene Leschensky of Janesville will take part in the service. His father, the Rev. Herman F. Leschensky, was pastor at Trinity from 1928-37. Following that service, a catered dinner for all former members will be served. The Rev, William H. Humlie of Brodhead, pastor from 1968-1976, plans to return to read the lesson.
The third celebration will be September 25, which also will be Missionfest Sunday.
Taking part will be the Rev. Bruno Schlachtenhaufen of Tomahawk, who pastored at Loyal from 1976-79.
It was as early as 1874 when the Rev. John Witte of Zion Lutheran Church, Granton, went yo the Loyal area, holding services in homes. At times credit had been given to the Rev. A. H. Fischer for holding these services and organizing the congregation to obtain the charter.
According to an early county history, the congregation was named German Lutheran Evangelical Trinity Church of Loyal, with 13 charter members.
The first two-story log church was constructed on land, about a half-mile north of Loyal for $100. The only remaining landmark of the village at that time is the cemetery east of County Trunk K.
In 1893 the second church was built, located in the village. It wasn't until 1903 when the pastor and family had a parsonage. That also was the year the first Ladies Aid Society was organized. The aid now is titled Trinity Lutheran Church Women.
A schoolhouse was erected at that time with classes three or four months a year. Both English and German were included in teaching children catechetical instruction. The German language was used exclusively in the worship service until 1913. For a time there was a German and English service each Sunday. Since the early 1950's services have been in English only, and now the pastor isn't required to speak German.
It was in 1913 when lightning struck and damaged the church. By June 7, 1914 the new edifice was dedicated and in 1957 the educational unit was completed. In the early 1970's the old parsonage was sold and a newer one purchased.
In keeping with the tradition of early church days, the bell is to+/9*lled upon the death of a member of the congregation.
The Luther League was organized February 2, 1923 and is an active organization. In 1948, Trinity Brotherhood become an organization for men.
Youths from the congregation entering the ministry include Frank Pieper, Raymond Kronberger, Eugene Leschensky, Floyd Olson and Richard Noeldner.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs