Services: Loyal Public Library
Surnames: Brown, Philpott, Taylor, Kneip, Welsh, Alexander, Fulmer, Moore. Gwin. Trnka, Bashford, Trindal, Roder, Guzman, Listeman, Sweiso
----Source: Family Scrapbook
The Loyal Public Library dates back to 1901 but was not officially organized until 1 May 2, 1905, when the Village Trustees appointed C. H. Brown; J. M. Philpott; C. M. Taylor; F. L. Kneip; Mrs. C. H. Brown; Miss Nettie Welsh; and Miss Jennie Alexander as directors.
The village paid $3.00 per month room rent at B. M. Fulmer's building for the library. By 1906 they rented a building from a Mr. Welsh for the same price and gave $50 to the library fund. Eva Arms was the first librarian, and they had some 200 books for circulation. Presently there are 7,076 books.
In 1920 they had a meeting to solicit funds. $156.25 had been collected and $58.00 was paid for rent. The meeting was in the Citizens State Bank building where they also had the library for many years. Miss Nettie Welsh was elected librarian.
Through the years the treasury was improved in 1921 by the R.N.A. giving an entertainment: Harry Haslett and Harry Moore arranging a baseball game. In 1937 Dr. E. W. Trnka directed a play and in 1940 Mrs. Gwin did likewise. Funds were solicited from time to time. In 1925 a Christmas tree was set up in the telephone office where 71 books and$23.00 were collected. The Towns of Sherman, Beaver, and Loyal as well as the village contributed.
When Miss Welsh resigned in 1922, Miss Hester Bashford and her mother, Mrs. J. B. Bashford, were librarians until 1937.The Citizens State Bank offered the rooms rent free but $25.00 was to be paid for lights -- the amount being waived each year for the next 15 years.
In 1938 it was moved to the
Municipal Building, and Mrs. Hugh Gwin was elected librarian. That year the
Women's Study Club donated $50.00.
In 1910 the Women's Study Club had donated a large Webster Dictionary and table. In 1948 the American Legion Auxiliary presented the memorial shelf in honor of the living and the dead. There are now 52 books on this shelf.
In 1943 Miss Evelyn Sweiso became librarian and served until she resigned in 1966. Mrs. Dorothie Trindal, Mrs. Elma White, and Miss Margaret Roder were recent librarians. Currently Mrs. Melva Guzman is the librarian.
In 1966 the library was moved to the south room of the Municipal Building. Since 1962 the Marguerite Listeman Foundation has contributed $1,650.00 to the Loyal Library.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs