Business: Early Gravel Pits


Surnames: None

----Source: Family Scrapbook

In 1921 Clark County bought about eight acres of land from Mamie Ford where a gravel pit was opened. The county had purchased WW I trucks for hauling. Much of the heavy work was done with teams and scrapers. The trucks were loaded under the rock crusher. Dynamite was stored in a small building of solid 2 x 4's side by side and covered with sheet iron.

A horse barn had been built at the pit site and the horses were watered in Bear Creek. A few liked to water their horses alone so no one knew where they cooled their refreshments in the spring fed creek. One evening after searching the alders, the strings were found securing the bottles and the whole gang had a party in the cow pasture across the creek.

The bunk car was not far from the horse barn. The cook and dining cars were parked in a neighboring yard where Mrs. Syth had easy access to milk, eggs, and an abundant supply of fresh vegetables. Other staples were brought from the village.

In 1929 the Village of Loyal purchased an adjoining pit and used their own supply of gravel. At that time eight men from Dorchester- Medford area furnished trucks and shoveled their loads by hand. Not long after a conveyor was added for easier loading. The men boarded at a farmhouse nearby.

After many years as a gravel pit, the town and village moved its dumping ground to the location.

The first dumping ground was purchased from A. A. Graves in 1909.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel