Business: Curtiss - Feed Mills
Surnames: Jacobson, Pribbernow, Borgemoen, Laabs, Mrunek, Sturner, Bootzin, Michlig, Bowen, Humke, Huber
----Source: Family Scrapbook
The first feed mill and warehouse was started by J.J. Jacobson in 1903. Throughout the years, the feed mills were operated by Pribbernow, Laabs Bros., Borgemoen & Mrunek and John Sturner. Sturner sold the feed business to O & N Lumber Company...about 1928, and it was operated by Fred Machlett until 1941. O & N Lumber built the feed elevators during the year of purchase. They also moved their lumber shed from Main Street of Curtiss (north of Gerrie's Market) to a site southeast of the feed elevators. There was a potato warehouse east of the feed mill. In the early years, the potatoes were grown locally, purchased and shipped out by rail.
The area to the east also included lime, coal and cement sheds. Wood bolts were also purchased and shipped here. The buildings were purchased in 1941, when Mr. Machlett passed away, by Peter Bootzin. LaVern Michlig was one of the managers. John Michlig became manager and held that position until 1969. Les Bowen had purchased the building in 1955. In 1969, the ownership was purchased by Clark Co. Farmer's Co-op; in 1977, Elmer Humke bought the feed mill; and in 1979, Jerome and Pearl Huber purchased the mill. The improvements made to the mill have benefited the farmers of Curtiss area, also keeping activity on Main Street lively.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs