Tavern: Lakeside Lodge
Surnames: Covell, Cerne, Ingham, Fortuna, Wolf, Ansick, Wolf, Kraut, Meinholdt, Crotzer, Perko, Podobnik, Rheum, Paul, Zumbauer
----Source: Family Scrapbook
Lakeside Lodge was started on the shore line of the lake created by damming up the Haycreek, at one time a fine trout stream. This lake was first called Haycreek Lake, now called Rock Dam Lake. The Dam was erected by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) in 1937-38. The engineer and foreman was Al Covell.
The lodge was built by Rae D. Ingham in 1946, then sold to Joe Cerne and Louis Fortuna. In 1947- 48. They built a dance hall addition. In September 1949 Donnie Ansick (now Donnie Wolf) purchased Louis Fortuna's share (V2). She and Joe Cerne operated the Lakeside Lodge until Leo Kraut of Curtiss, Wisconsin bought out Donnie's share in 1951.
Leo stayed only one year, then Joe Cerne's wife Delia bought out Leo Kraut's share. The Cernes operated until Joe's death after which Delia operated for a year or so and then sold to Louie Meinholdt. Oscar (Doc) and Joanne Meinholdt operated the Tavern for Louie, until Gerald (Mickey) and Mary Crotzer bought it in 1958. They in turn ran the Tavern until Mickey's death in 1966. After Mary had operated it for a year or two (with the help of Louis Perko) she sold to Emil Podobnik and his wife Delia. They kept the business until 1976, then sold to Artie and Alice Rheum. In 1979 it was sold to Marilyn and Chester Paul, in 1980 it was sold to June and Dave Zumbauer, who are now operating it.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs