Surnames: Hollsinger, Foster, Trunkel, Cesnik, Long, Marquette, LeGault, Klemencic, Dameier, Hintz, Coleman, Thomas, Clair, Mosher, Saunders, Verkuilen, Van Loo, Buckley, Wright, Timlin, Phillips, Otier, Wesolosky, Suckrow, Zetsche, McCarty, Lamberton, Jones, Peterson, Taylor, Snedic, Tomsic
----Source: Family Scrapbook
When Hollsingers moved to Willard, they started the Willard school in the old lumber shack. The first classes started November 23, 1908. Later classes were held in a corner of Samberg's store, which is now owned by Avis and Stanley Suda.
In 1908 - 1909 money was raised as follows:
1908 $200.00 Borrowed from Greenwood Bank $112.00 Greenwood School District $900.00 Tax Levy
1909 $500.00 From Greenwood Bank $200.00 From Greenwood Bank $843.58 Tax Levy
The school house was started in the summer of 1909. The land was donated by N.C. Foster. The first annual school meeting was held at the school house, July 3, 1911.
1. Meeting called to order: Ignac Cesnik as chairman.
2. Treasurer’s report was read. A motion made that it be accepted. Motion carried.
3. Decided to have eight months of school in the ensuing year.
4. Motion made to levy a tax of $600.00 for ensuing year, for general expenses for the ensuing year. A vote taken and said tax levied.
5. Decided to allow clerk $5.00 for services, in the ensuing year.
6. Motion made that the treasurer be allowed $3.00 for ensuing year, and the director be allowed $2.00 for ensuing year.
7. Anton Trunkel, Ignac Cesnik, Joe Tomsic and George Hintz were nominated for director to replace Ignac Cesnik whose term expired. On ballot, Ignac Cesnik received 6 votes, Joe Tomsic 4 votes, Tony Trunkel 3, and George Hintz 2 votes. Being no majority, a new ballot was cast for candidates having highest number of votes. On the second ballot Ignac Cesnik was declared elected.
8. Wm. Dameier and George Hintz were nominated for clerk for one year to fill vacancy caused by the death of Mr. A. L. Clair, who had served for two years. On ballot, Wm. Dameier received 9 votes, George Hintz 5 votes and a scattering of one votes. Wm. Dameier declared elected.
9. Lewis Coleman, Ralph Thomas and George Hintz were elected auditors.
10. Decided to build a woodshed at the schoolhouse, and have school ground leveled and stump holes filled.
11. A motion was made to sell the hay on the school ground, to highest bidder.
12. Motion made to raise $100.00, besides what had been levied for drilling a well at schoolhouse.
13. The hay was sold at auction, for $30.00 to Mr. Matt Klemencic.
14. A motion was made to adjourn; same was seconded, voted upon and carried.
Signed: Wm. Dameier, District Clerk
Some more Willard School notes, taken from school minutes: The regular school year was eight months, until 1914 and then nine months. The following year they went back to eight months of school. In 1918 the regular nine month school year began and has continued ever since.
After many meetings from 1917 to the end of 1920, the State Graded School was built and Willard School District No. 5 was formed. The Willard State Graded School held eighth and ninth grades. The original school building, built in 1910 or 1911, was added onto in 1917 to make it a two-room school. From then on it had a prin¬cipal and a teacher. The first principal was Ada Clair. 1917-1918. They operated a two-room school with two teachers teaching half days only for a few years. For the 1924-25 school year, a second addition was added, so the school was now a three-room school with nine grades.
The following is a list of teachers from 1909 to 1925. They all taught one year unless followed by a number, and if a principal "Prin." precedes the name: Harvey Long 2, Grace Marquette, Delia LeGault 2, Ada Clair 2, Prin. Ada Clair, Myrtle Mosher 2, Prin. Iva Saunders, Prin. Mayme Verkuilen 2, Florence Verkuilen 2, Bertha Van Loo, Prin. Marge Buckley, and Prin. Alta M. Wright. One semester each; Emma Timlin, Alice E. Phillips, Prin. Agnes F. Otier, Violet Wesolosky, Viletta Suckrow, Prin. Robert Zetsche, Violet McCarty, Harriet Lamberton, Prin. Lawrence Jones, Ethel Peterson and Eleanor Taylor.
Submitted by: Ann E. Snedic
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs