Business: Schwamb’s Cooperative
Surnames: Casper, Burgee, Peterson, Pickett, Schmerler, Ott, Knops, Volk, Klanchar, Celesnik, Kreci, Petkovsek, Hribar, Morgal
----Source: Family Scrapbook
This factory was built nearly a mile east of the Tioga depot and Store in 1917. It was operated by the neighboring farmers and patrons until 1928. The first cheesemaker was Rob Casper, followed by his brother Frank, then Burgee, Peterson, Jess Pickett and Ed Schmerler.
In 1928 the factory was sold to Walter Ott of Marshfield, Wisconsin and he named it the Woodland View Cheese Factory. He operated the factory for three years and three months and then sold it to Francis Knops of Stratford, Wisconsin.
In 1944 Francis Knops quit making cheese. He had an auction and the factory building was sold to Rudy Volk. Rudy then sold to Tony and Frances Klanchar and it was made into a Tavern in 1945. Since then it has changed hands several times, Tony Celesnik, Tom and Alice Kreci, Anton and Dorothy Petkovsek. Now it is operated as a tavern and lunch counter, by Ludwig and Alma Hribar, called Tioga Inn.
Submitted by: Frank Morgal
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs