News: Neillsville - Fire Damages Homes (1982)

Contact: Kathleen E. Englebretson

Surnames: Wetzel, Hanson

---Source: Marshfield News-Herald (11 January 1982)

Wetzel, Ramond and Hanson, Joe

NEILLSVILLE - Hundreds of dollars in damage to area homes resulted from two separate fires Friday afternoon and evening. The Neillsville volunteer fire department was called to the Ramond Wetzel home, three miles west of here on Highway 10 when the house was discovered full of smoke late in the afternoon.

Fire had started after hot coals dropped from a chimney cleanout and ignited material nearby. The fire, which is believed to have smoldered for several hours, charred floor joists and melted the electrical wiring in the basement. There was also considerable smoke damage throughout the house.

Around 11 p,m. Friday the fire department was called to the Joe Hanson residence at 1104 Grand Avenue when fire was discovered in the walls. It is believed to have started from an overheated wood stove.

Fireman said the fire started around the stove pipe where it enters the chimney, then got into the walls and spread rapidly. A chain saw had to be used to get at some of the burning portions of wall and ceiling. Damage was extensive, according to Fire Chief Bob Urban.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel