Obit: Nelsen, Clarence A. (1889 – 1969)
Surnames: Nelsen, Nelson, Maes, Genett
----Source: Tribune/Phonograph (Abbotsford, Clark Co., Wis.) 25 Dec 1969
Nelsen, Clarence A. (1 MAR 1889 – 18 DEC 1969)
Funeral services for Clarence A. Nelson, 80, of Colby (Clark Co., Wis.), were conducted Sunday, December 21, 1969 at Lulloff Funeral Home at 1 p.m. Burial was made in the Lakeside Cemetery at Waupaca.
Mr. Nelsen died early Thursday morning, December 18, 1969 at St. Joseph's Hospital, Marshfield. He died of complications after several years of ill health.
Born at Waupaca on March 1, 1889, he married Julia Nelson of Waupaca on October 18,1916. The couple moved to Colby in 1920, when they purchased the Colby Drug Store, which he operated until his retirement in 1954.
Education at Waupaca elementary and high school, he was a graduate of Marquette University of Milwaukee. He was an extremely active member of the community and various voluntary organizations. A World War I veteran, he was a member of the American Legion and was active in its affairs. He was active in boy scout work, receiving the highest award, the Silver Beaver award, for his volunteer work. He also taught many groups throughout the area in Red Cross first aid work.
Mr. Nelsen had been a school board member and was a member of the Clark County Veterans Service Commission, secretary of Memorial Cemetery Association, and a member and secretary of the Colby Chamber of Commerce. He wwas also a member of the local library board and the Masonic Lodge.
Survivors, in addition to his wife, include five children, Miss Marjorie Nelsen of Chicago, Clarence A. Nelsen of Saratoga, California, Carl T. Nelsen of Seattle, Washington, Sara (Mrs. Earl Maes) of Milwaukee, and Ronald N. Nelsen of DeKalb, Illinois; two sisters, Mildred (Mrs. William Genett) of Milwaukee, and Miss Camilla Nelsen of Milwaukee, and 17 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren.
Three brothers and two sisters preceded him in death.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs