Church: Christie – United Methodist Church (End of a Landmark - 2012)
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Jones, Jefferson, Robinson, Raymond, Christie, Butterfield, Barber, Demouth, Shaw, Morse, Sischo, Ranson, Burpee, Armitage, Wells
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 6/20/2012
Christie – United Methodist Church (End of a Landmark - 2012)
End of a Landmark in Christie
By Linda Cottrell-Sanders
The Christie United Methodist Church was disassembled by local Amish, beginning May 25.
The Church was built in June of 1889 when the congregation, which met in a nearby schoolhouse, felt a need for an organized church. The land, located in downtown Christie, was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Steve Jones. Construction took two years. The men of the congregation donated their time, labor and lumber for construction.
Rev. James Jefferson administered to the congregation but did not receive a regular salary and was given vegetables and clothing by the congregation and regularly took his meals with the Jones family.
Names of the early founders are still prevalent in the area today: Robinson, Raymond, Christie, Butterfield, Barber, Demouth, Shaw, Morse, Sischo, Ranson, Burpee, Armitage, Jones and Wells.
With completion of the church in 1891, a 50-year anniversary was held in 1941 and a 100-year centennial in 1991.
In 1991, there were 70 people on the membership roll, but only about 12 of them attended regularly. That dwindled even lower until there was no way to maintain the parish. The building has sat empty for many years.
Local Amish crews worked demolishing the former Christie United Methodist Church. Construction on the building began in 1889. It was dedicated in 1891 and used through 1991, when the congregation celebrated its 100-year centennial. Soon after, the congregation numbered a half-dozen people and the parish was abandoned. The building has remained empty. (Linda Cottrell-Sanders/C lark County Press)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs