Church: Globe - Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran (75 Yrs. Ann. - 1974)

Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon

Surnames: Thrun, Wadzinski, Brandt, Schewe, Poppe, Klauer, Kalsow, Thoma, Henchen, Hagedorn, Scheel, Kuhl, Spranger, Schroeder, Grap, Glasow, Steinberg, Schoenherr, Lueck, Schultz, Mitte, Klueckmann, Eppling, Doehler, Parisius, Motzkus, Schumann, Schlict, Ruege, Witte, Bitter, Stuebs, Dux, Rice, Schwark, Strangfeld, Stiemke

----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 9/26/1974

Globe – Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran (75 Years Anniversary – 29 September 1974)

Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church at Globe will celebrate its 75th anniversary on Sunday, September 29, with services at 9:30 a.m. and at 2 p.m. A noon dinner will be served by the ladies of the church, and various displays depicting the history of Immanuel will be set up for viewing in the church. Also, a booklet telling the history will be distributed.

During the morning service, the new entryway will be dedicated. The Children’s Choir will sing at the early service, and the Women’s Choir will sing at both services.

It was in the year 1887 that Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran church became an organized church. The original church building was smaller than the present church, was built of logs, and was on story high. The boards for the floor, etc., were hauled from a mill located at what is now Snyder Dam by ox teams. The pews, made of rough board, were assembled on the spot. There was no organ, so the congregation was led in singing by one of the members.

During the early years of its history, Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran church was served by pastors from St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church of Neillsville. During this period there are no complete records since the ministrations are interwoven with the records of St. John’s of Neillsville.

In 1899, the present church was built during the pastorate of Pastor F. Thrun, who served from Neillsville. As the church grew, the need to educate the children became apparent, and so in 1906 the school house was built. Theological students taught the children in summer school.

In 1916, the congregation became self-supporting. The parsonage was built, and the first pastor was called. In 1919, the Ladies Aid Society was organized.

On September 4, 1949, Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the its present church building. It was a day of rejoicing as approximately 400 members, former members, and friends joined to thank the Lord for the goodness He had bestowed upon His church at Globe.

Guest speakers for the occasion were former summer school teachers: Pastor William Wadzinski, and Pastor Frederick Brandt. The interior of the church was redecorated for the occasion. The observance ended in the evening with an address by Pastor Alfred Schewe of Neillsville and the showing of a film.

Just as a congregation is concerned about what is being taught in its midst, so it is also concerned about the condition of the buildings where this Word is taught. Around the year 1959 a pressing concern was the condition of the school house. Various ideas were discussed. On April 13, 1961, a motion was carried to move the school house to the church. The building committee was made up of Norman Poppe, Hugo Klauer, and Martin Kalsow. The project was completed in a couple of years. During this time a new organ was also purchased for the church.

In 1967, the pastor of Immanuel accepted a call to become pastor of St. John’s Lutheran Church of Christie. From that time on Immanuel of Globe and St. John’s of Christie have been a dual parish served by one pastor.

At the time for the observance of the 75th anniversary of the church approached, projects for beautifying the church were discussed. Those on the committee were Harold Thoma, Leo Henchen, and Louis Hagedorn. The decision to remodel the front of the church was made on January 14, 1973. The new entrance will be dedicated as part of the anniversary observance.

In June of 1972 the present organ was purchased. Also at the same meeting, Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church voted to become a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran synod. Although, it had always supported the synod, the church didn’t officially belong until then.

Charter members of the congregation were: William Scheel, William Kuhl, R. Springer, C. Schroeder, Ferd. Grap Fred Glasow, Fred Kalsow, F. Steinberg, Julius Hagedorn, E. Schoenherr, Alb. Lueck, William Kalsow, L. Schultz, R. Mitte, and Alb. Klueckmann.

During its 75 years, the following pastors have served Immanuel, F J. Eppling, Jr., Christian Doehler, F. Thrun, Herman Brandt, William Parisius, Walter Motzkus, Adolph Schumann, Robert Schlicht, John Ruege, David Witte, Robert Bitter. The Rev. Ralph Stuebs is its present pastor.

Ferd. Grap and Martha Kalsow were married in the first wedding in the church.

Its active organizations are the Ladies Aid Society and the Young People’s Society.

Members of the present church council are, Louis Dux, President; James Rice, treasurer; Daniel Schwark, financial secretary; Byrl Strangfeld, secretary; Howard Schultz, Arthur Stiemke, and Norman Poppe.

The present Saturday school teacher is Susan Schwark. She has taught together with the pastor since Satruday school was begun several years ago.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel