News: Neillsville (1 May 1919)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: McNelly, Cook, Olson, Draper, Boutcher, Kennedy, Schultz, Roehl, Walters, Calway, Maxwell, Thoma, Kearney, Nemitz, Greher, Klopf, Buddenhagen, Flynn, Sturdevant, Schoengarth, O’Neill, McNamara, Korzelius, Kaudy, Clark, Marsh, May, Ormsby, Dovenberg, Stochek, Weaver, Braatz, Rush, Krueger, Johnson, Karnitz, Free, Brown, Brooks, Page, Case, Crocker, Hiles, Andersen, Stockwell, Campman, Rush, Howard, Johnson, Rude, Schalla, Beyer, Potter, Wendt, Lastofka, Ghent, Deutsch, Goebel, Korman, Durst, Taylor, Karner, Counsel, Heibel, Hohenstein, Ginter, Marshall, Brooks, Marx, Simon, Suchy, Michalski, Poate, Kapke, Hudson, Richardson

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 5/1/1919

Neillsville (1 May 1919)

Miss Ruby McNelly was home from Lynn over Sunday.

Dan Cook of town Eaton was here on business Saturday.

Peter Olson of Unity was in this city Thursday on business.

F.W. Draper of Loyal transacted business here on Thursday.

Max Boutcher of town Beaver was here on business Saturday.

Mrs. Kennedy of Greenwood spent Saturday here with friends.

Mrs. Paul Schultz was at Granton on Monday visiting friends.

Mrs. Otto Poehl of Loyal visited with friends here on Saturday.

Miss Julia Walters was home from Marshfield over Sunday.

Mrs. F.D. Calway went to Milwaukee Monday for a short visit.

Miss Irene Maxwell visited with friends at Merrillan on Monday.

County Road Supt. W.C. Thoma was at Thorp the first of the week.

Miss Mary Kearney has a position teaching in the Milwaukee schools.

Gust. Nemitz went to Rochester Monday for treatment at the hospital.

Rev. Greher and family went to Black River Falls Monday to spend a few days.

H.W. Klopf attended a meeting of Shriners at St. Paul on Friday and Saturday.

Elmer Buddenhagen shipped a fine young Holstein bull to Fond du Lac on Monday.

Mrs. Floyd Flynn of Eau Claire spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. C.R. Sturdevant.

Judge and Mrs. O.W. Schoengarth were at St. Paul and Menomonie on Thursday.

Judge O’Neill and F.D. Calway went to Mauston Monday for the spring term of court.

Miss May McNamara came home from Pittsville last week to spend a few days school vacation.

Mrs. Ed. Korzelius of Waters Meet, Mich., is here for a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Kaudy.

Mrs. Sibyl Clark returned to Milwaukee Monday after a few days’ visit here with Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Marsh.

Miss Louise May returned home to Grand Rapids Monday after a short visit with her brother, George, and wife.

A number of the Neillsville Commandery went to Black River Falls Thursday to attend the funeral for Henry Ormsby.

Vern Dovenberg resigned his position at the Big Store and went to his home at Preston, Minn., to assist his father this summer.

Frank Stocheck of town Spencer was examined as to his sanity on Thursday and taken to Mendota on Friday by Sheriff Weaver.

Mrs. Anna Braatz left Monday for her home in Colorado after an extended visit where with her brother, John Kaudy, and family.

W.J. Rush was at Superior the latter part of the week, having been called there by the United States District Court with reference to information relative to the Krueger matter. Mrs. Krueger is to be tried in the Superior Court.

Henry Johnson was instantly killed at Stanley when his hand came in contact with a live wire while he was taking down the electric light leads from the old pickle factory. He was working for the Wisconsin-Minnesota Light & Power Co. The young man had climbed the pole and was working with the wires when in some manner, his body formed a complete circuit with the wire which carries the current. Death was instantaneous.

Priv. Ernest Karnitz returned home from overseas April 19. He was a member of the 6th Div. Co. A 53rd Inf. He left Bassou, France in March 1919, for the U.S. on the Patores, and arrived at New Port News on March 26th. He was then transferred to Camp Grant, where he was discharged. He was wounded four times on the 8th of October, 1918, at Mete Zeral in Alsace Loraine. He was transferred to four different hospitals, and at the latter, Base 208, Bordetux, he remained until he sailed for home.

Richard Free of Greenwood was in town Saturday on business.

Peter A. Brown went to Eau Claire Thursday on business.

Dr. and Mrs. Brooks entertained a party of friends on Thursday evening.

Leland and Irl Page spent a couple days last week with their father at Lac du Flambeau.

Mrs. Emma Case of Wyeville is visiting with the E.E. Crocker and Otto Hiles families.

County Clerk Ole Andersen is moving into his new home, which he bought from C.S. Stockwell.

Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Campman, Mrs. W.J. Rush and Mrs. L.H. Howard autoed to Hatfield on Sunday.

Mrs. Johnson and daughter of Black River Falls spent a couple days here last week with Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Rude.

Mr. and Mrs. Oluf Olson went to Abbotsford Saturday and spent Sunday, Mrs. Olson remaining for a few days more visit.

Miss Bertha Schalla is at Neillsville this week, visiting with Miss McNamara, whose home is there.—Pittsville Record

Paul Beyer and Harland Potter and Misses Clara Wendt and Elsie Lastofka attended a show at Marshfield Sunday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Ghent and Mr. and Mrs. Gus. Deutsch spent Sunday afternoon at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Goebel at Granton.

Mrs. H.E. Korman went to Milwaukee Thursday to spend a couple days and from there went to Fredonia to attend the birthday celebration of her father.

Miss Bernice Draper of Loyal, who is a student at Lawrence College, is one of six who have won high scholastic honors, being elected to the Phi Beta Kappa. Miss Draper is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Draper and a former Neillsville girl.

Walter Durst came over from his home at Neillsville last Saturday to visit friends. He arrived home last week Thursday from seven months service overseas. He was gassed and wounded in Belgium. After arriving in France he was transferred to the 37th division. Mr. Durst had a serious attack of the flu on the way over.—Humbird Enterprise

Chas. Taylor was here from Barron last week on business.

Robt. Karner of Sheboygan spent a couple days here this week.

Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Counsel spent Sunday with relatives at Alma Center.

W.T. Heibel has rented Mrs. T. Hohenstein’s house and has moved into it.

Mrs. Wm. Ginter of Wauwatosa returned home after a brief visit with friends here.

Mrs. W.T. Heibel returned home Saturday from a two weeks’ visit with friends and relatives at Mondovi.

Mrs. Eva Marshall returned home to Plainfield after a few days visit with her sister, Mrs. Lillian Kennedy.

Fred Brooks went to Minneapolis last week to take a position with a large construction company, doing office work for them.

Mrs. John Marx and John Simon returned Monday from Montico where they attended the funeral of their sister, Mrs. Suchy.

Andrew Michalski and family left Tuesday on the early morning train for Selby, S.D., where he intends to farm with his brother, Anton.

There was a farewell party at the Andrew Michalski home Tuesday night. There was a good attendance and everybody reported a good time.

W.J. Marsh went to Chicago Tuesday night to spend several days in the wholesale markets replenishing his stock of ladies ready-to-wear goods.

The Ladies Aid Society will meet Wednesday, May 7, in the M.E. Church parlors. The entertaining committee is Mesdames Poate, Kapke, Hudson, and Richardson.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel