Bio: Sachs Farm Fire (1968)
---------Source: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 04 Apr 1968
Although an electrical storm had moved through the area sometime before the home on the Warren and Otto Sachs farm in the town of Reseburg (Clark Co., Wis.) was leveled by fire, faulty wiring instead of lightning is believed to have been the cause of the blaze.
The fire was reported at 4:10 Thursday morning, and by the time the fire company made the 10 mile run to the farm, located three miles south of County Trunk N on County Trunk O, and one-half mile west, the flames were shooting skyward through the roof of the two story, six room home.
A strong northwest wind prevailed and fanned the sparks and flames away from the nearby three-stall garage and barn that house 12 head of heifers.
The house was unoccupied byt was being readied by Warren Sachs, who lives with his parents on their farm one-fourth mile further west, for occupancy later this spring, when he intends to be married. A considerable number of pieces of household fixtures and furnishings in the home were lost.
Mrs. Otto Sachs discovered the fire, as she had awakened and gone to the kitchen when she noticed what looked like flashes of fire at the northwest corner of the home where the wiring service entered the house. She called her husband, and he in turn the fire company.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs