News: Neillsville (13 Feb 1919)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Marcus, Peterson, Rhodes, Lueck, Devos, Carskadden, Jackson, Rush, Hitchcock, Irish, Haberland, Apfel, Hazelett, Bagley, Barton, Gotchling, Perry, Zimmer, Wilcox, Kaufman, Unger, Thoma, Rossman, Duge, Barton, Wanner, Stockwell, Snyder, Kearney, Hommell, Gurgle, Paulson, Huntley, Marsh, Verkuilen, Langreck, Frances, Johnson, Horton, Mayo, Pollnow, Kurth, Ayers, Slocomb, Burge, Sayles, Weimiller, Weaver, Schwentkofske, Herrian, Griebenow, Weirick, Klopf, Rosenberg, Nehs, Fitzgerald, Crockett, Rhea, Ure, Rowe, Kennedy, Cook, Twamey, Gregory, Webster, Smith, Jones

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 2/13/1919

Neillsville (13 Feb 1919)

M. Marcus was here from Minneapolis on Monday.

Julius Peterson came down from Minneapolis Monday.

Mrs. Rhodes went to Merrillan Saturday to spend a few days.

A little daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Eric Lueck last week.

Mrs. A.L. Devos left Saturday for a visit at Madison and Baraboo.

Mrs. Wm. Carskadden went to Arcadia last Saturday to spend a few days.

District Attorney Jackson and W.J. Rush were at Madison Friday on business.

Mrs. Thomas Hitchcock was here from Merrillan Saturday to see Mr. and Mrs. Irish.

Carl Haberland returned Monday from a six-weeks’ visit with his daughter at Minneapolis.

Adam Apfel came up from Camp Grant Friday to spend a few days. He has been working at the carpenter trade there.

Mrs. Melvina Hazelett came over from Marshfield Friday to spend a few days. She has been visiting her son, Charles, at Marshfield.

Mrs. Howard Bagley returned from the Eau Claire Hospital last Friday. Mrs. Bagley underwent an operation there and is getting along nicely.

Jule Barton, wife and baby, who have been visiting his mother, Mrs. Wm. Barton, for the past few weeks, returned to Ironwood, Mich., where he has a position in a barber shop. Jule has been at Camp Custer in the army, having been discharged just before coming here.

Paul Gotchling was home from Altoona over Sunday.

M. Perry of Humbird transacted business here Monday.

Elliot Peterson of Stanley spent Saturday here with friends.

Phil Zimmer and A.E. Wilcox were here from Altoona on Sunday.

Harry Kaufman of Loyal transacted business here on Wednesday.

Mrs. Adolph Unger is home from a brief visit with her parents at Phillips.

County Road Supt. W.C. Thoma was in the north end of the county Monday on business.

Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Rossman were at Thorp Thursday to attend the wedding of Mrs. Rossman’s sister.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Will Duge on Saturday and a son to Mr. and Mrs. Louis Barton on Friday.

Mrs. E.G. Wanner returned home to Bismarck, N.D. Saturday after being here to attend the wedding of her sister, Miss Ethel Stockwell.

Ernest Snyder and Art Kearney got home Sunday from France, having received their discharges on Saturday at Camp Grant. They were members of the 311th Ammunition train and got as far as Bordeaux when the armistice was signed. Rudolph Hommell also got home from France on Monday. He was called to the colors in May.

Paul Gurgle was at Marshfield Monday on business.

Peter Paulson and family spent Friday at Marshfield.

Will Huntley, Jr., transacted business at Wausau on Saturday.

W.J. Marsh transacted business at Black River Falls on Monday.

County Chairman John Verkuilen made a trip to Texas last week.

Mrs. Henry Langreck spent Sunday with relatives at Alma Center.

Mesdames Frances and Johnson were here from Merrillan on Thursday.

Melville Horton went to Rochester, Minn., Monday to consult the Drs. Mayo.

Ed. Pollnow came home last week, having received his discharge from the army.

Will Kurth went to Milwaukee Monday to attend the state telephone convention.

Mrs. Cullen Ayers died at her home at Unity on Sunday. She was quite well known here.

Austin Slocomb returned home to Beach, N.D., Monday after a visit here with his brother, Otis, and family.

Mrs. Free Burge and son, Floyd, went to Eau Claire Sunday to see Mr. Burge, who is in the hospital there.

Herman Langreck returned home Monday from Camp Shelby, Miss., having received his discharge from the army.

Mr. and Mrs. Art Sayles and Mr. and Mrs. Otto Weimiller of Loyal spent Sunday here with Sheriff and Mrs. Weaver.

Carl Schwentkofske came home Thursday from Ft. Dodge, having been discharged from the army. He has resumed his work at the depot.

Miss Minnie Herrian met with an unfortunate accident Sunday. She fell on the ice at her home and broke both bones in one of her ankles.

A disastrous fire occurred Saturday morning at Owen when the Griebenow & Weirick Furniture Store was totally destroyed, together with all contents. The fire occurred early in the morning.

Alfred Klopf has again opened his jewelry store and is ready to do business at his old stand. For a few months he has been employed at the depot, doing Carl Schwentkofske’s work there during his absence in the army.

Mr. and Mrs. Davis Rosenberg returned Monday from their trip to Albuquerque, New Mexico. They like the country quite well and expect to go there soon and take up their residence in the hope that the climate will be more beneficial to Mr. Rosenberg’s health.

Mrs. Victor Nehs and son of Neillsville, who have been with relatives at Rice Lake since the head of the family entered the military service, are visiting the former’s sister, Mrs. Barney Fitzgerald. In recent letters to his wife, Mr. Nehs wrote he was doing signal corps work near the German border and that he expected to celebrate the 4th of July at home. – Marshfield News

O.A. Crockett was at Wausau Tuesday on business.

Fred Rhea of Spencer transacted business here this week.

Mrs. Geo. Ure went to Spring Valley Monday to spend a few days.

Clement Rowe went to Chicago last week to make his home again.

Miss Elizabeth Kennedy went to Owen Monday to bring her car home.

Chester Cook has bought out Frank Joy’s restaurant and has taken possession.

H.W. Klopf went to Oshkosh Tuesday to attend the Wisconsin Retail Jewelers convention.

Mrs. Irving Twamley and babe, who were called here by the death of her brother, Will Gregory, was called back to her home at Virginia, Minn., last Sunday night by a message announcing the death of Mr. Twamley’s mother. – Humbird Enterprise

E.A. Webster, the veteran insurance man of the town of Fremont, Clark County, in which community he has lived 50 years, was in the city Thursday. He said he retired from business about a year ago on account of eye trouble. – Marshfield News

George L. Smith, a former well known town of York boy and Neillsville High School student, died of influenza and pneumonia at his home in Plaza, N.D., last week Thursday. The Plaza Pioneer says:
“George “Plaza” Smith was for years one of the best known men in the public life of North Dakota. The passing of George Plaza Smith closes a unique epoch in the development of North Dakota. He was so closely associated with all of the movements whose logical culmination was the nonpartisan league that he may be regarded in a respect as the father of the new era. He had warm friends in every section of the northwest who deeply regret his death, coming at a time when he was in his prime.”

Captain Murray L. Jones arrived Monday morning from New York City, en route to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, where he enters the hospital. He remained from Monday morning until yesterday noon at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. P.W. Jones, and then resumed his journey to Ft. Snelling. Although wearied by his journey, he was feeling pretty well and had stood the trip splendidly. He has been gaining strength steadily since leaving France only a few weeks ago, at which time he was carried onto the boat on a cot. Two weeks later he was able to leave it unassisted except by the aid of crutches and when here he could walk about as well as anyone. His recovery is remarkable when it is known that he was wounded by a gunshot through the left lung, so near the heart that surgeons said it must have been grazed. Although realizing that rest was more beneficial to Murray than their calls, dozens of friends were unable to refrain from dropping in on him during his short stay to express in a small measure their pleasure on his return. If not sent south, he hopes to be able to return home soon, as he would undoubtedly recuperate here as rapidly as anywhere. – Black River Falls Journal



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel