News: Greenwood – Business Enterprises ( 1870 - )
Surnames: Stabnow, Schofield, Arends, Hunt, Huntzicker, Rossman, Brown, Bopp, Buker, Eaton, Schwarze, Larsson, Richelieu, Bonsil, Hendren, Booth, Hogue, Fahey, Cox, Paulley, Honeywell, Stoller, Sheldon, Varney, Hartson, Armstrong, Gibson, Ayers, Emerson, Begley, Withee, Buland, Hilton, Stewart, Johansen, Thielen, Bryden, Hunt, Johnson, Herrell, Sperbeck, Stair, Wollenberg, Clute, Stanton, Cornelius, Thomas, Gullord, Pfunder, Dingley, Booth
----Source: Tribune/Record/Gleaner (Loyal, Wis.) 21 Jan 1971
The first bank in Greenwood was the Greenwood State Bank, organized July 20, 1891, and opened October 19, 1891, with a capital stock of $25,000, by Joseph Gibson, Andrew Emerson, J.C. Miller, L.W. Larson, L.W. Gibson, W.H. Begley, Louisa Withee, C.L. Buland, W.H. Hilton, John Stewart, Nela Johansen, Henry Thielen, James Bryden, H.M. Hunt, William Johnson, W.H. Bryden, E.J. Herrell and Lorenzo Sperbeck. The bank building, which still stands on the corner of Main Street and Division Street is of solid brick and was equipped with vaults. L. Sperbeck was the first cashier. R. Sperbeck was the second, from July 1901 to July 1904. J.B. Stair was the cashier for two years. He was succeeded by Ed Wollenberg, who held the position until the bank close some years ago.
The Farmers and Merchants Bank was incorporated in 1912 by C.H. Clute, John Stanton, H.R. Schofield, Charleis Cornelius, H.R. Stabnow, R. Schofield, John Arends, Robert Hunt, Zickey Arends, Robert Huntzicker. It was opened for business October 12, 1912 in its own building, erected that year, of cement block construction on its present site. At that time, E.R. Brown was elected cashier. In November 1916 L.E. Bopp was elected cashier. He was succeeded by A.C. Buker, who still retains the position.
The First drug store was kept by Dr. Thomas in 1885 in the building where he had his office. Dr. Buland built a drug store on the site where Gullord's Pharmacy now is. After he left Conroy and others ran it, and later F. Pfunder. While Mr. Pfunder was in business the building was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and run by Dr. Schofield until purchased by Mr. Gullord.
Herman Schwarze, now a retired farmer living in the old Dingley home, came to the United States in 1867 and to Greenwood in 1870. He was a blacksmith by trade and a dealer in plows. After locating here in the town of Warner, he worked in the lumber camps as a blacksmith for four or five years.
In the fall of 1870 Lige Eaton sold three acres of land to Eaton Township for sixty dollars, to be used as a cemetery. As the land had to be cleared of brush and logs, Mr. Eaton hired Herman Schwarze, Anthony Larson, Carl Richelieu and Jake and Bill Bonsil to do the work. Since then more land has been bought and added to the cemetery on the south, and the Rev. Hendren gave a strip of land on the east to make it larger. The ceretery lies on a knoll about a quarter mile west of the city, near the banks of Black River. With its pine trees, pretty shrubs, rose bushes, and beautiful flower beds, it is one of the prettiest cemeteries in the country. The first sexton was John Booth. Others were Bill Hogue, Ed Fahey, Sid Cox, and at present, John Paulley. There was already one grave on the land when it was bought for a cemetery, that of Mrs. Charlotte Honeywell, who died April 4, 1870. She expressed the wish to be buried on the knoll near Black River, and her rleatives carried out her wishes. There are two stones in the cemetery with earlier dates, but no one is buried under them. These stones were for two Sheldon children who died and were buried in the Hackett field (Stoller's). Later the father purchased headstones and wanted to move the bodies of the children, by the graves could not be located, so the stones were set up in the cemetery anyway. The cemetery was first under the supervision of the town officers and is now under the control of the Cemetery Association, which has a charter from the state. The city had no deed until the Association was formed, when Al Armstrong went to the town officers and obtained th deed. The present officers are Charles Varney, president; Mrs. H.H. Hartson, secretary; and Mrs. A.S. Armstrong, treasurer. By paying the sum of $50, one is assured of the perpetual care of one's lot. Otherwise the fee is one dollar and fifty cents a year.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs