News: Neillsville (30 Jan 1919)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Klopf, Phillips, Miller, Rush, Zimmerman, Kurth, Cresswell, Lloyd, Hoesly, Nelson, Pepper, Paulus, Kaiser, Wolff, Wilding, Dux, Kuester, Crocker, Clark, Carlton, Conlin, Smith, West, Vine, Griffith, Brown, Richardson, Brauer, Sonnentag, Bauer, Paulson, Locke, Rude, Johnson, Stockwell, Ure, Mularkey, Strenitzky, Fulwiler, Shune, Sholtz, Dworschak, Sprecher, Dumbleton, Schultz, Peterson, Haach, Morse, Dodge, Carskadden, Grow, Carl, Kleinschmidt, Schroeder, Peterson, Bratt, Kaudy, Brooks, Horton, Voeck, Robbbins

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 1/30/1919

Neillsville (30 Jan 1919)

H.W. Klopf returned from Milwaukee on Monday.

J.A. Phillips went to Madison Monday on business.

Leo Miller went to Milwaukee Monday to attend the auto show.

Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Rush spent Sunday with friends at Colby.

Geo. Zimmerman returned Tuesday from his business trip to Chicago.

Mrs. Robert Kurth returned Monday from a few days’ visit at Granton.

Dr. Cresswell returned home Friday from his four weeks’ visit in the East.

Mrs. Miller of Waupaca is a guest at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Lloyd.

M.S. Hoesly of Madison spent Wednesday with Mr. and Mrs. M. Hoesly.

Leo Schroeder came from Reedsburg last week and is working for P.N. Nelson.

Mrs. Geo. Pepper went to Janesville Monday to spend a few days with relatives.

Mrs. James Paulus and Mrs. Gus Kaiser went to Eau Claire Friday to spend a couple days.

Miss Jessie Wolff went to St. Paul Tuesday to spend a short time in a wholesale millinery house.

Geo. Wilding came down from Lac du Flambeau Friday to spend a few days and transact business.

Carl Schroeder arrived home from Washington last week, having been discharged from the army.

Miss Amanda Dux returned home to Plymouth Monday after a short visit with Mr. and Mrs. F. Kuester.

E.E. Crocker was at Humbird Monday to attend the funeral of Henry Clark, an old resident of that village.

Free Carlton, who has been in the aviation corps, came fro New York last week, having received his discharge.

Earl Conlin was home from New York for a short furlough. He is in the navy and stationed on the USS Arizona.

W.L. Smith went to Madison Monday on business connected with his work on the social insurance legislative work.

Ellsworth West has rented the store and hall at Christie and is stocking up the store with a new line of general merchandise.

Clayton Vine and Art Smith went to Whitehall Monday to see Mrs. Vine, who is recovering from an operation in the hospital there.

F.J. Griffith and Mrs. Ben Brown went to Owen Saturday owing to the illness of Jack Richardson. Mrs. Griffith went to Owen on Monday.

Mrs. Robt. Brauer went to Oshkosh Monday morning and Mr. Brauer joined her there the next day and they went to Chicago to spend a few days.

Mrs. Gus. Sonnentag was taken to the hospital at Marshfield last week for an operation. Her sister, Miss Gusta Bauer, visited her there on Monday.

Pete Paulson, the heavy-weight dealer in Dodge cars, received a carload of this popular car last week and prospective buyers should see him before they are all gone.

Mrs. Grace Locke took her mother, Mrs. S. Wren, to Milwaukee Saturday to consult an eye specialist relative to Mrs. Wren’s eyesight. She is being troubled with a cataract over both eyes.

Miss Mary Rude and Mrs. Peter Johnson entertained a party of young ladies on Saturday night in honor of Miss Ethel Stockwell. Miss Vivian Ure entertained a number of young ladies at dinner Monday evening for Miss Stockwell.

Anderson & Marx is the firm name of the successors to A.R. Mularkey, the purchase having been made last week and the garage business turned over to them. In this connection, Mr. Mularkey desires to express his sincere appreciation for the liberal patronage accorded him during his two years of business in Neillsville.

Ed. Sternitzky was here from Granton Monday on business.

Dale Fulwiler of Neillsville visited at the home of his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. George Rowe, a couple of days last week. – Marshfield News

Mrs. Adolph Schune and daughters, Marcella and Lydia, went to Neillsville last week Thursday for an indefinite stay and visit at the Ferd Sholtz home, Mrs. Sholtz being on the sick list. – Granton News
Last week Anton E. Dworschak delivered to John Sprecher & Son a load of clover seed for which he received $1564.12. It was not a carload, but just what he could nicely haul on the wagon. Some money, we would say, but Mr. Dworschak is one of the best farmers in these parts and sees to it that everything on the farm does its part toward making the profit per acre. – Independence News

Private Walter Boyd Dumbleton, Stevens Point, Wis., was formally sentenced to twenty-five years at hard labor at Ft. Leavenworth disciplinary barracks. Dumbleton, on Sept. 13, absented himself from overseas inspection and on the following day refused to obey a command to prepare himself for overseas shipment. He was court-martialed. He belonged to the Thirty-Sixth Medical Replacement Unit.

Paul Schultz transacted business at Granton Monday.

Mrs. A.J. Peterson spent Sunday at Stevens Point.

Paul Schultz transacted business at Augusta on Friday.

Fred Haach was at Stratford the first of the week on business.

Mrs. Sydney Morse returned Monday from a visit at Dorchester.

Miss Emma Dodge was at Merrillan on Monday between trains.

A.R. Mularkey went to Milwaukee Monday to attend the auto show.

Will Carskadden returned Monday from a three weeks’ visit at Blair.

Hal Grow was home from Eau Claire over Sunday. He has a position there.

T.V. Carlton was up from Adams over Sunday visiting his little daughter.

Herman Carl underwent a successful operation at the hospital at Eau Claire last week.

Ernest Kleinschmidt came up from Evansville Monday on a combined business and pleasure trip.

Mrs. Fred Schroeder and son, Carl, went to Stanbury on Monday to spend a short time with her daughter.

A.J. Peterson received a trophy last week from his son, Lieut. Arne Peterson, who is now in Germany. The trophy was the helmet of a German officer.

Mrs. Anna Bratt of Longmont, Mont., stopped off here for a few days’ visit with Mr. and Mrs. John Kaudy, leaving Monday for New York. She is a sister of Mr. Kaudy.

Fred Brooks got home last week, having received his discharge from the army. He will spend a short time at home before resuming his work in Philadelphia.

Victor Horton took his son to the hospital at Marshfield on Saturday for an operation, the young man having not recovered from the effects of the flu and pneumonia. A portion of one of his ribs was removed.

After four years’ litigation, the State Industrial Commission has ordered the village of West Salem to pay $2,400 to Mrs. Alice Voeck, whose husband, William Voeck, was killed by Walter Jones while assisting the village marshal to arrest Jones.

L.H. Robbins, who has been in Jackson County nearly two years working as a county agent, has resigned his position to take effect February 1. He was employed to remain until April, but owing to the fact that the County Board abolished the office, he resigned.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel