News: Neillsville (16 Jan 1919)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Jahr, Bartell, Bronstad, Rossman, Kroll, Cross, Hannah, Christen, Marsh, Smith, Schwentkofske, Radke, Ehrlich, Zimmer, Haugen, Alexander, Alt, Neverman, Brenner, Devos, Gramm, Knilans, Brown, Hinman, Huntley, Gates, Zickert, Huntzicker, Shummell, Salter, Lynch, Thoma, Krause, Rabenstein, Holway, Patey, Zimmerman, Short, Creed, Ver Kuilen, Myslic, Paulson, O’Neill, Stevens, Wickham, MacMillan, Cutter, Rowe, Crocker, Trelevan, Shaw, Grasser

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 1/16/1919

Neillsville (16 Jan 1919)

Al. Jahr was here from Granton over Sunday.

H.E. Bartell was at Marshfield on business Monday.

P.E. Bronstad was at Humbird on Monday evening.

Mrs. E.J. Rossman entertained the card club on Friday.

C.C. Kroll went to Stratford Monday to spend a few days.

Jerry Cross went to Warrens Saturday to spend a short time.

Will Hannah transacted business at Marshfield Saturday.

F. Christen of Humbird transacted business here on Saturday.

Mrs. W.J. Marsh and Mrs. W.L. Smith were at Marshfield on Thursday.

Will Schwentkofske was here from Superior for a couple days last week.

Miss Frieda Radke returned Saturday to her school work at Whitehall.

Mrs. Albert Ehrlich was called to Sheboygan Monday by the serious illness of her father.

Phil. Zimmer came home from Ft. Worth last week, having received his discharge from the army.

The Times received postals from Art Haugen last week, which indicates that he is now at Langres, France.

Miss Katherine Alexander went to Milwaukee Saturday to spend a few days in a wholesale millinery house.

Miss Effie Alt returned to her school work at Tony after being home for a couple weeks recuperating from the flu.

Miss Mary Neverman was the hostess at a birthday party on Thursday at which fifteen of her little friends were the guests.

Paul Brenner came home last week from Virginia, having been discharged from the army. He spent a couple days in Chicago on his way home.

Lieut. R.A. Devos and wife are here from Milwaukee for a visit with his brother, A.L. Devos, and wife. Lieut. Devos has just been released from the army.

Misses Meda Gramm, Edith Knilans, and Gertrude Knilans, teachers in the Stanley schools, came Saturday morning to attend the basketball game and were guests of Mr. and Mrs. R.V. Brown.

Doc. Hinman returned to Dundee, Ill., on Monday.

Will Huntley, Jr., transacted business at Fairchild on Monday.

Chas. Gates went to Alma Center Monday to spend a few days.

F.J. Zickert received a fine young purebred Holstein bull on Monday.

Paul Huntzicker was here from Madison on Monday calling on old friends.

Mrs. A. Hauge and Mrs. James Shummell spent Monday afternoon at Marshfield.

Mrs. Richard Salter of Colby is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Lynch, for a few days.

County Highway Superintendent W.C. Thoma transacted business at Eau Claire on Monday.

Miss Amelia Krause of Granton has been the guest of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Rabenstein for a few days.

Will Holway was here from Madison over Sunday. He has been discharged from the army.
W.H. Patey was at Humbird on Monday evening on business connected with the county YMCA work.

George Zimmerman transacted business at Menomonie last Friday.

The County Auditing Committee, consisting of J.W. Short, Wm. Creed and John Ver Kuilen is at work auditing the books of the county officers.

Mrs. Chas. Myslic returned home to Chicago Monday after a brief visit with her brother, Peter Paulson, and family, and also with relatives at Granton.

Judge O’Neill went to Madison on Monday to hold court for Judge Stevens and Judge Wickham came from Eau Claire to hold court for Judge O’Neill.

Mrs. Mary MacMillan left Monday evening for Lima, Ohio, where she will spend several weeks with her daughter, Mrs. Cutter. Miss Beatrice MacMillan accompanied her as far as Merrillan.

Mrs. Ralph Rowe received word through the Soldier Friend, a department of the Chicago Herald, that her husband is in Ancerville, France, on Dec. 12, and is in perfect health. This is the first that Mrs. Rowe has heard of him in five months. – Fairchild Observer

Capt. Frank Crocker was home from Washington on Thursday and Friday of last week. He had taken the remains of his friend, Major Trelevan, home to Omro, death having resulted from influenza. Frank looks well and expects to be released from war work in a short time.

Jerome Shaw is laid up with a broken arm as the result of an accident he had at the condensary and which came near ending his life. In some manner he got his arm caught in the elevator and was being drawn into it when the belt slipped off, releasing him from his precarious position. However, he sustained a broken arm and several very severe cuts.

Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Marsh of this city and Mr. and Mrs. A.B. Marsh of Neillsville are planning to make a trip to California for a two months’ visit with relatives, leaving here January 20. Their first destination is San Diego, where a brother, S.M. Marsh, lives, after which they will visit another brother, S.L. Marsh, in Santa Cruz, and a sister of Mrs. J.C. Marsh, Mrs. John Grasser, in Porterville. – Marshfield News



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel