News: Neillsville (9 Jan 1919)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Gotchling, Nagle, Smith, Huntley, Sternitzky, Silkey, Pores, Zimmer, Neiman, Schoeder, Holtz, Miller, Schultz, Leason, Brandt, Colman, Leyden, Crocker, Thoma, Brainey, Sherman, Stockwell, Schweinler, Flynn, Jackson, Allard, Irvine, Dwyer, Thomas, Pitcher, Wilbur, Hazlett, Kennedy, Luther, Brown, Davis, Alger, Wharfield, Krueger, Evans, Fagan, Payne, Julgn

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 1/9/1919

Neillsville (9 Jan 1919)

Fred Gotchling was home from Adams over Sunday

Wm. Nagle of Unity transacted business here on Friday.

W.L. Smith went to Milwaukee Monday on a business trip.

Mr. and Mrs. G.C. Huntley were at Eau Claire on Thursday.

Ed. Sternitzky was here from Granton on business Monday.

Henry Silkey returned Monday from his visit at Oconomowoc.

Judge E.C. Pores of Marshfield transacted business here Monday.

Miss Helen Zimmer came from Camp Douglas Monday to spend a few days.

Mr. and Mrs. Walter Neiman of town Beaver spent Friday here with friends.

Henry Schroeder was here from Reedburg on business the first of the week.

Miss Lillian Holtz went to Minneapolis last week to take a position as a stenographer.

Aug. Miller came home from Minnesota Monday where he has been working this summer.

Otto Schultz returned to Montour, Idaho, Monday after a couple weeks’ visit at home.

Jesse Leason went to Milwaukee on Wednesday to resume his position with the Milwaukee Journal.

Fritz and Arnold Brandt returned to their studies at Northwestern College at Watertown on Monday.

Miss Flossie Leason returned to Milwaukee Sunday evening to resume her studies at Downer College.

Russell Colman went to Madison Monday to take up the study of chemistry at the State University.

Pat Leyden and Otto Schultz went to Milwaukee last week where Otto has taken a position driving a truck.

Miss Helen Crocker has taken the position as clerk in County Road Superintendent W.C. Thoma’s office.

Mrs. Harry Brainey returned home to Superior Monday after a short visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Sherman.

Mrs. I.M. Stockwell returned home to Volga, S.D., Friday after being here to attend the funeral of Mrs. C.S. Stockwell.

Miss Patulla Schweinler of Milwaukee has been visiting at the home of her brother, Dr. F.W. Schweinler, for a few days.

Mrs. Art Flynn and son will return home to Sioux Falls, S.D., today and Miss Esther Jackson will accompany them for a brief visit.

Mr. and Mrs. George Allard of Chippewa Falls were guests of County Treasurer John Irvine and family a couple days last week.

Dr. C.E. Schweinler of Capron, Ill., returned home Monday after a short visit with his brother, Dr. Schweinler, and family.

Bob Dwyer returned on Saturday from Camp Grant where he received his discharge from the army. He had been stationed in the west.

Mrs. F.S. Thomas, who had been here for several weeks helping nurse her mother, Mrs. C.S. Stockwell, returned home to Lisbon, N.D., on Monday.

Lloyd Kimball arrived home from England Friday and is now spending a few days at Granton. Lloyd was here on Monday. Lloyd was in the aviation service.

Mrs. Albert Huber and daughter, Rose, spent a few days last week at Greenwood. On Monday they left for a visit at Dubuque, Iowa, before returning home to Polplar, Mont.

Ex-Sheriff Harry Hewett has moved out of the sheriff’s residence into the Redmond home he bought on the north side. Sheriff Weaver and family moved into the sheriff’s residence Saturday.

Glen Robinson was home for a few days during the holidays. He has been transferred from the DuPont munitions plant at Barksdale to one of the company’s dye plants at Deep Water Point, N.J. The plant at Barksdale will make dynamite only and will only employ 300 men, whereas they employed 6,000 men during the war.

Fred Bruley transacted business at Marshfield Tuesday.

V.C. Deisenhofer and Paul Brenner were at Marshfield on Tuesday.

A.R. Mularkey retuned Tuesday from his holiday visit at Oxford.

Joe Zilk was home from Detroit last week on a few days furlough.

Doc Hinman returned Tuesday from Dundee where he spent several days.

Ernest Vine returned to Ft. Dodge Saturday after a holiday furlough at home.

John Devlin, an old Civil War veteran, died at his home at Merrillan last Thursday.

Miss Mae Phillips went to Colby last Thursday to spend a few days with Mrs. Richard Salter.

Miss Marjorie Jacques and Miss Matthews returned to Milwaukee after spending the holidays here.

Miss Regina Garbusch visited the home folks at Granton last Wednesday, returning Thursday.

Mrs. A.C. Pitcher returned home Thursday after spending several weeks with relatives at Oshkosh.

Mrs. Ben Wilbur and children left last week for La Crosse, where they will make their home in the future.

Mrs. Wm. Hazlett returned last week from a visit of several weeks with her daughter-in-law in Chicago.

Mrs. Lillian Kennedy and daughter, Miss Elizabeth, returned last Friday from Milwaukee where they spent the holidays.

E.L. Luther, superintendent of the State Farmers’ Institute, spent Monday here conferring with R.V. Brown, county agricultural agent.

Joe Davis returned Tuesday to his work in Noline, Ill., after spending the holidays with his family in this city. – Black River Falls Banner

Miss Maud Alger, one of the supervising teachers of Clark County, who visited at the home of her cousin, C.B. Wharfield, left Saturday for Oshkosh to visit relatives and recuperate from an attack of the flu, after which she will return to Neillsville to resume her duties as supervisor. – Marshfield News

Leslie Krueger, draft evader, who fought a posse at his farm near Owen, when examined by the La Crosse registration board to determine if he was a willful deserter from the army, declared he asked God whether he should go to war, and the Almighty appeared in a vision and told him not to join the army. Krueger also claimed that people in Clark County called him a pro-German and that one night he was shot at from ambush on the road between Owen and his farm.

Mr. Robert Evans has passed and was laid away Dec. 30, 1918, at Mount Greenwood, Ill., at the ripe old age of 73 years. He was a resident of the town of Dewhurst for some 12 years where he made many friends. Mr. Evans is survived by his widow, Mrs. Robt. Evans, three daughters, Mrs. Wm. Fagan, Mrs. Geo. R. Payne and Mrs. John Julgn, and four sons, William James, Richard A.J., Robert D. and George. Mr. Evans retired from active work a year ago and will always be remembered as a kind and loving father. – Merrillan Leader



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel