News: Neillsville (19 Dec 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Foreman, Gehrt, Hewett, Cannon, McCalvy, Annell, Snyder, Andrews, Hoseley, Ainsworth, Southard, Ring, Wilding, Redell, Holcomb, Bruley, Skeel, Cornelius, Darling, Bartlett, Adler, Hamilton, Battersby, Perkins, Pickett, Lowe, McHugh, Cousins, Philipp, Colt, Zimmerman, Gorman, Wedekin, Crandall, Schroeder, Karnetz, Dudei, Alexander, Menning, Just, Coenen, Karberg

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 12/19/1918

Neillsville (19 Dec 1918)

W.E. Foreman was at Marshfield on Saturday.

Ed. Gehrt was here from Milwaukee over Sunday.

Sheriff and Mrs. Hewett were at Madison on Monday.

Joe Cannon of Merrillan transacted business here on Monday.

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Ross McCalvy last week.

E.G. Annell was here from Dundee on business last week.

Mrs. H.L. Snyder went to Duluth last week to spend the winter.

Mrs. Irving Andrews of Clintonville is here visiting relatives.

Marcus Hoseley went to Granton Monday to drive home a new Ford.

Miss Alice Ainsworth is home from Minneapolis for another flu vacation.

Will Southard came home from Montana last week to spend a short time.

Miss Alvis Ring came home on Saturday to spend a few days with her parents.

M.E. Wilding came down from Lac du Flambeau Saturday to spend a few days at home.

Mrs. Jane Redell of Richmond, Ind., came Saturday to visit her son, A.E. Holcomb, and wife.

Mrs. George Bruley came home Saturday from St. Paul where she has spent the summer.

Mrs. Skeel and son, Louis, of Eau Claire, attended the funeral of Chas. Cornelius on Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Darling of Spooner spent a couple days here last week with Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Bartlett.

Bowman Adler, an 18-year-old Marshfield boy, lost both his legs last week as the result of jumping from a moving train.

George F. Hamilton, inventor of the cemetery dirt box, went to Athens Saturday after spending a short time with Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Moody.

Stanley Battersby came home Saturday from Ft. Benjamin Harrison having received his discharge. He was a member of the engineering corps.

Chas. Perkins¸ the new barber in the First National Bank building, has moved his family here from Marshfield and will live in the Svirnoff house on 4th Street.

Lieutenant Lee Francis Pickett of Spencer has made the supreme sacrifice. He was officially reported as killed October 30 in France.

Miss Isabelle Lowe came home Saturday for the holiday vacation from Ironwood, Mich., where she has been teaching. She and her mother left on Tuesday for Hartland to spend the holidays.

James McHugh, conductor on the passenger train which runs through here, received word last week that a nephew had been killed in France.

Marshal Cousins of Eau Claire, well known in this city, has been appointed by Governor Philipp as state banking commissioner, succeeding E.A. Colt.

Harry Zimmerman, who has been attending the students training camp at Madson, came home Monday, the student soldiers having been discharged.

Mrs. Con Gorman was at Marshfield on Tuesday.

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Art Wedekin last week.

Mrs. N.E. Crandall was at Granton Monday afternoon.

Mrs. Max Schroeder and Miss Emma Karnetz spent Tuesday with friends at Marshfield.

Miss Hulda Dudei left Monday for Miles City, Mont., to spend a few weeks visiting relatives.

Mrs. Kate Alexander is home from Milwaukee where she has spent the past several months.

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Menning returned Monday from Winona where they went to attend the funeral of a relative.

Henry Just received a telegram from the War Department last week stating that his son, Henry, reported missing some time ago, had been found safe and sound.

Adam Coenen was called to Sauk City, Wis., last Wednesday by the death of his brother, Maurice. Mr. Coenen returned home yesterday and reports that all his folks had been sick with influenza and pneumonia.

Mrs. Jos. Bruley received a pair of French slippers last week from her son, Lieut. George Bruley, in France. The slippers are made of straw with cork soles and lined with rabbit fur. They are on exhibition in the window of the W.J. Marsh store.

A coal stove improperly ventilated is the cause of two deaths at Grand Rapids, Mrs. Matilda Karberg and Miss Lydia Karberg, her daughter, living alone in the house. The young lady was still alive when neighbors broke into and entered the house, although she died a few hours later. The condition of things in the house and the fact that the fire was out indicates that the gas fumes from the stove commenced to take effect at least two days earlier.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel