Bio: Bernitt, Frank (Retirement - 1954)
Contact: Robert Lipprandt
Surnames: Amacher, Bernitt, Kelsey, Rilling
----Source: The Tribune - Phonograph (Abbotsford, WI) 7/08/2015
Originally published in the Abbotsford Tribune, July 8, 1954
Frank Bernitt has retired for his work as water superintendent for the village. His time of service in this department dated from the beginning of the village water system.
In 1934, with the help of WPA labor, the project was started. George Kelsey was village president and Dr. J. A. Rilling was chairman of the water committee.
The village purchased 22 acres of land and the stand pope from the Soo Line for $500. With this transaction, included was an eight inch main from the present location of Miller Dray to the stand pipe, as well as other mains used by the Soo Line, which pumped water from a creek east of Abbotsford to the stand pipe.
Water supplied to the village comes from four wells. At the start, the village leased the south well from the Soo Line and, about five years later, leased the north well. Both are still leased by the village on a 10 and five year renewal basis.
As more people are connected to the water mains, it became necessary to increase the water supply. About 10 years ago, the east well was drilled and, two or three years later, H. J. Amacher donated a piece of land, 150 feet deep by 50 feet, where the west well was drilled.
About 1938, the disposal plant was built and a sewer disposal system was laid in the village.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs