News: Neillsville (31 Oct 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Cornelius, Seif, Bartell, Sheddon, Bronstad, Meyers, Theiler, Herrian, Cesnick, Dwyer, Stolte, Cowles, Lekan, Crocker, Rush, Glass, Arnell, Mularkey, Cross, Wepfer, Enhelder, Hoey, Riedel, O’Neill, Calway, Zank, Wagner, Hohenbach, Albright, Dresdon, Cummings, Brooks, Hemp, Carlton, Meihak, Johnson, Haberland, Trogner, Dux, Bearheart, Decorah, Robinson, Snow, Randall, Kingsbury, Matheson, Scoville, Burnett, Reynolds, Montgomery, Beer, Goldamer, Hobbs, Cooper, Eagles, Haugen, Reynolds, Crandall, Waterpool, Bronz, Bequette, Duge, Miller, Sturdevant, Rabenstein, Rath, Degner, Garman, Ure, Krueger, Kennedy

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 10/31/1918

Neillsville (31 Oct 1918)

Chas. Cornelius transacted business at Chili Monday.

Chas. Seif transacted business at La Crosse on Friday.

Miss Lydia Bartell was home from Granton over Sunday.

A.J. Sheddon was at Eau Claire on business Saturday.

Peter Bronstad transacted business at Menomonie last week.

Leo Meyers went to Loyal on Sunday to spend a few days.

Fred Theiler came over from Humbird Monday on business.

Joe Herrian has been sick with influenza at Bismark, N.D.

Ignatz Cesnick was here from Willard Monday on business.

J.D. Dwyer was here from Alma Center Monday on business.

F.L. Stolte was at Austin, Minn., last week on a business trip.

Al. Cowles was here from Alma Center the first of the week.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lekan on Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Crocker spent a few days last week at Tomah.

District Attorney Rush went to La Crosse Monday on business.

Miss Daisy Glass returned Friday from her visit at Campbellsport.

E.G. Annell came up from Dundee on Monday to spend a couple days.

A.R. Mularkey is out again after a serious illness at the hospital.

Mrs. P.A. Cross spent a few days last week with her daughter at Alma Center.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. A.G. Wepfer of Norwalk on Oct. 24th.

Gene Enhelder came home Saturday from Canada to spend a short time.

Mrs. E.J. Hoey went to Milwaukee Thursday to spend a few days with friends.

Ed. Riedel returned last week from Lac de Flambeau where he has been working.

Judge O’Neill and F.D. Calway went to Mauston Monday for the fall term of court.

Wm. Zank and Mrs. Wagner went to Portage on Friday to attend the funeral of a relative.

Geo. Hohenbach was in from Granton on Saturday and this office acknowledges a pleasant call.

Miss Leona Albright is home from New London on account of the schools closing for influenza.

Miss Leona Dresden slipped and fell on the cement walk Friday evening, breaking her right wrist.

Mrs. John Cummings went to Black River Falls on Saturday to spend a few days with relatives.

Herbert Brooks, who is employed at the Waukesha Motor Works, came home Saturday to spend a few days.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hemp went to Granton Monday to spend a couple days with their son, Louis, and family.

Mrs. T.V. Carlton is sick at the hospital. Her husband came up from Adams on Saturday to spend a short time with her.

Miss Rose Meihak went to Janesville Saturday to spend a few days and from there will go to Florida to spend the winter.

Mrs. Victor Johnson returned home to Minneapolis Monday after spending several weeks here with her father, Carl Haberland.

Mrs. George Trogner went to Minneapolis Monday to spend a short time with her son. George accompanied her as far as Merrillan.

Albert Dux went to Marshfield Monday to enter the hospital for an operation for appendicitis, a recurrence of a former attack hastening his decision.

Max Bearheart, a son of “Big Nose” Joe Bearheart, died of influenza, and Walter Decorah, an Indian mail carrier at Millston, also died from the disease.

Mrs. John Robinson went to Janesville Friday to spend a short time before returning to her home in Colorado. She has been visiting relatives here for a short time.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Roy M. Snow of Golva, N.D., on Oct. 22nd, a seven pound boy. All are doing finely. Mrs. Snow will be remembered as Miss Ethel Randall.

Mr. and Mrs. Cleveland Kingsbury of Wausau, known to a number of people here, died last week from influenza, both deaths occurring within a few days of each other.

Dr. and Mrs. A. Matheson spent Sunday with Rev. Scoville who is quite sick. Mrs. Jesse Burnett of Freeport, Ill., came home with them to visit for a few days.

Mr. and Mrs. Haskell Reynolds returned to Mason City, Iowa, Monday after a short visit with Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Montgomery, Mr. Reynolds and Mrs. Montgomery being brother and sister.

August Beer, a farmer living near Marshfield, greeted two Liberty Loan solicitors with a club, striking one of them and causing a flesh wound. Beer was arrested and sentenced to six months in the county jail, during which time Beer will have time to understand that Liberty Bonds are much better pacifiers than clubs.

Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Goldamer were here from Abbotsford Sunday.

Mrs. Ernest Hobbs went to Clintonville Tuesday to spend a few days.

Mrs. Wm. Cooper left last week for Idaho where she will spend the winter with her son.

Ralph Montgomery and wife and daughters, Frances and Nellie, autoed to Abbotsford last Friday.

Mrs. Eagles received a telegram Monday telling of the arrival of a little daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Haugen at Madison, S.D.

Haskel Reynolds and wife left Monday for their home in Iowa after spending a week here with the Montgomery and Crandall families.

Mrs. Minnie Waterpool and daughter, Mrs. Bronz, of Neillsville, returned to their home Saturday, after a week’s visit at the Henry Bequette home. – Fairchild Observer

A.H. Duge was here from Bunker Hill, Ind., to attend the funeral of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Mary Blackman. Mrs. Duge was unable to come on account of illness.

Leo Miller went to Michigan last week to spend a few days with his parents. He went with the expectation of returning to Chicago and enlisting as a mechanic in the army.

Mrs. J.R. Sturdevant returned last week from Seattle and Ellensburg, Wash., where she spent the summer. Her sister-in-law, Mrs. C.W. Johnson, returned home with her and will spend a short time here.

Carl Rabenstein returned last week from Chicago where he spent several days on behalf of the National Food Preserving Co. He brought home with him a contract for a half million pounds of dried potatoes and work on this government contract will start within a short time.

Dr. Rath of Granton passed through here on Monday on his way to visit his mother before he goes to Ft. Riley to take up his work as an army dOctor. He was in uniform and was to have gone to his new work today, but he received a respite for 15 days.

Henry A. Degner of Fall Creek, former postmaster and former school principal in that village, was arrested Saturday on a federal warrant charging violation of the espionage act, Sheriff George Garman, deputized as a federal marshal, bringing him to the county jail.

Geo. Ure returned Tuesday from La Crosse where he has been called to produce his records as clerk of the court in the United States District Court. The records called for pertained to the case against one of the Loyal saloon-keepers, fined some months ago for violation of the liquor laws. It seems that the government is now going after him for selling liquor without a government license. Mr. Ure said that Leslie Krueger was brought to La Crosse while he was there and that Leslie has admitted being at the Krueger farm on the night of the battle, but like his brothers, lays the blame of killing Harry Jensen upon his dead brother, Ennis Krueger.

Mrs. Lillian Kennedy returned on Friday from a few weeks’ visit wither daughter at Milwaukee.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel