News: Neillsville (10 Oct 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Draper, Nelson, Free, Miller, Pernod, Redmond, Northup, McLane, Carskadden, Christman, Wilding, Grosnick, Broker, Hvlatka, Tragsdorf, Olson, Jacques, Prock, Radke, Hewett, Gates, Wildish, Enders, Harding, Hannah, Meyers, Plummer, Leroy, Bruley, Haner, Sturdevant, Matheson, Kaufman, Reine, Rodolf, Torey, Zimmerman, Condit, Ure, Bradbury, Wasserburger, Erben, Cardorelli, O’Neill, Osborne, Bartholf, Kearney, Bollinger, Bissell, Jorgenson, Irving, Frei, Bradford, Thompson, Rodman, Lynch, Garvin, Pickle

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 10/10/1918

Neillsville (10 Oct 1918)

E.W. Draper was here on Sunday.

P.N. Nelson was at Elroy Friday on business.

Miss Beth Free was home from Humbird over Sunday.

Leo Miller attended the fair at Black River Falls last week.

Paul Pernod went to Waupaca Monday to look over his farm.

Mrs. G.L. Redmond was up from Black River Falls over Sunday.

A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Percy Northup last Friday.

Miss Beth Free is teaching the primary grade at Humbird.

John McLane was here from Marshfield a couple days last week.

Miss Vida Carskadden went to St. Paul on Saturday to spend a short time.

Mrs. Chas. Christman visited with friends at Black River Falls last week.

George Wilding came down from Lac du Flambeau Friday to spend a couple days.

Mrs. Otto Grosnick and Mrs. Rosa Broker left on Saturday for a visit at Spring Valley.
Mrs. Hvlatka returned home to Chicago Saturday after a brief visit with friends here.

Miss Edna Tragsdorf came from La Crosse Normal Friday to spend Sunday at home.

Mrs. Fred Olson of Colby spent a couple days last week with Mr. and Mrs. Olaf Olson.

G.L. Jacques was called to Milwaukee on Friday by the serious illness of his mother.

Mrs. Clara Prock went to Minneapolis on Saturday for a visit with friends and relatives.

Miss Frieda Radke came home Friday to spend Sunday at home and visit with her new nephew.

Sheriff Hewett took Edw. Gates and Harold Wildish to the state school at Waukesha last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Nick Enders drove up from Beloit in their car for a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Prock.

Jay Harding, who has a position as stenographer at the Northwestern Railroad at New Butler, was home over Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Will Hannah left Monday, Mr. Hannah to go to Kansas City to spend a couple days with his son, Mrs. Hannah to go to Mankato, Minn., to visit relatives for a short time.

Leo Meyers went to Chippewa Falls Monday to work.

Mrs. Frank Plummer was here from Lynn the first of the week.

Mrs. Leroy of Antigo is here visiting here mother, Mrs. Joe Bruley.

Mrs. L.A. Haner came over from Marshfield to spend a couple days.

Mrs. Sturdevant of Sparta was the guest of Dr. and Mrs. A. Matheson over Sunday.

C.F. Kaufman was here from Hillsboro over Sunday visiting with John Reine.

Mrs. M.C. Rodolf returned Monday from a few days visit at Eau Claire.

John Wildish went to Marinette Monday to attend Odd Fellow Grand Encampment.

Mrs. Chas. Torey of St. Paul spent Saturday here with her mother, Mrs. Joe Bruley.

J.G. Zimmerman went to Minneapolis Monday to attend the meeting of the National Clothiers Association.

Harry Zimmerman has gone to Madison to attend the state university and also take the military training course.

T.D. Condit left Monday for Diller, Neb., after spending several weeks here renewing old-time acquaintances.

Clerk of the Court George Ure received a new order on Monday which prohibits the issuance of naturalization papers until after election.

Mrs. W.E. Bradbury and daughter came up from Great Lakes Saturday with Mrs. E.L. Bradbury and will spend a month here with her mother, Mrs. Mary Bruley.

Alonzo Frank and Leo Wasserburger, who are taking the military course at Stevens Point Normal, were home over Sunday.

Bruce Erben, who last year was janitor of the public school here, moved with his mother and sister to Neillsville Monday. – Spencer Record

In a letter to his folks, Joe Cardorelli states that he is out of the hospital and by this time is back in the front lines helping chase the Germans out of Belgium.

On Monday, Oct. 7th, Cornell University was formally opened and Judge O’Neill was present at the event and recalls many pleasurable events on that day.

W.C. Osborne of Eau Claire and Hon. J.C. Bartholf of Milwaukee are making plans to hold a series of meetings in Clark County in the interests of F.W. Draper for Member of Assembly.

Herbert Radke drove his car home from a garage on Sunday to make room for storage cars, but he wanted to get home too soon with the result that he paid a fine of $18.75 on Monday for exceeding the speed limit.

Miss Mary Kearney came home Sunday from her school work at Beloit, the schools there having closed for two weeks on account of influenza.

Mrs. Bollinger of Los Angeles went to Madison Friday to spend a few days after being here for a two weeks’ visit with Mr. and Mrs. J.G. Zimmerman.

Sometime ago Dave Bissell suffered from an infected hand and blood poisoning set in. There has been danger of his losing his hand and on Monday Drs. Bradbury and Matheson amputated one of his fingers and is thought that he will now recover rapidly from the trouble.

Mr. and Mrs. Peter Jorgenson came from Noble, Ill., last week to see their new grandson, who came home from the Marshfield Hospital on Friday with his mother. Miss Maude Irving, who has been with her sister at the hospital, came home at the same time.

Wm. Bradford has bought the Geo. Frei farm in York, his home in this city being taken in on the deal. Mr. and Mrs. Frei are moving to town, Mr. and Mrs. Bradford are moving onto the Frei farm and Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Thompson are moving onto the Bradford farm which they recently bought.

Horace Rodman was quite badly hurt Friday, Sept. 27, by being caught in a cave-in at the gravel pit in Levis. He was working alone and was in a serious predicament for a time until help arrived. He was taken to Dick Lynch’s farm where it was found that his hip and right shoulder had been badly hurt by being squeezed between the wagon and gravel bank. He was taken to his home in Washburn on Thursday and is now getting along quite nicely.

Wm. Garvin, well known to the older residents of this vicinity, died at Antigo on Sunday, Sept. 22, at the age of 89 years, 5 months and 23 days. The deceased was born in Cork, Ireland, March 29, 1829, coming to Canada with his parents when four years old. In the year 1875, forty-three years ago, he came to Clark Co., settling on a farm in York, where he lived until he moved to the village of Loyal in the year 1906. For the past three years he has lived with his daughter, Mrs. T. Pickle, at Antigo.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel