News: Neillsville (26 Sep 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Holway, Bartell, Marth, Cross, Paulson, Sturdevant, Smith, Wilding, Clemens, Rush, Hewett, Schmidt, Campbell, Schultz, Kurth, Cresswell, Dallman, Dreckmeyer, Lowe, Schune, Redmond, Lee, Hubing, Chapman, Langraf, Joy, Blakeslee, O’Brien, Zimmerman, Peterson, Forman, Glasow, Short, Beechler, Elliot, Kalsow, Mott, Phillips, Crosby, Williamson, Brauer, Jorgenson

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 9/26/1918

Neillsville (26 Sep 1918)

Will Holway was here from Madison over Sunday.

Miss Lydia Bartell was home from Granton over Sunday.

Frank Marth went to Oshkosh Monday on business.

Mrs. Cross spent Sunday at her home at Menomonie. Peter Paulson and family were at Marshfield on Saturday.

C.R. Sturdevant was at La Crosse last week on business.

Miss Irene Smith went to Minneapolis Thursday to attend school.

M.E. Wilding returned to his camp at Lac du Flambeau on Monday.

R.A. Clemens received word that his cousin had been killed in France.

District Attorney Rush and Sheriff Hewett were at Eau Claire on Thursday on business.

Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Schmidt have bought a farm near Greenwood and have moved there from Black River Falls.

Wm. Campbell was here from Wisconsin Veteran’s Home a few days visiting his son, Ezra, and wife, and returning home on Monday.

Hon. W.L. Smith went to Madison Thursday to attend a special meeting of the state legislature. Mrs. Smith joined him there on Monday and will spend a short time there.

Mrs. F.O. Schultz of Buffalo, N.Y., spent a short time here with her sister, Mrs. Richard Kurth, being on her way to Rochester to consult the Mayo Bros.

Chas. Cresswell came home last week from Canada where he has spent the past several months working for a lumber company. He left Monday to enter the Government Naval Preparatory School at Annapolis.

On Wednesday afternoon of last week, Gus. Dallman of Unity was killed at the Soo railroad crossing south of Unity. The crossing is known as “Dead Man’s Crossing” from the fact that within the past few years seven persons have been killed there by trains.

Al Dreckmeyer, who has been a pharmacist at the Sniteman Drug Store for some time, resigned his position to go into war work, and went to his home at Beloit to spend a short time before entering the work. He has a lot of very good friends here who regret to see him leave, but hope he will return and resume his position here again.

Thomas Lowe went to Milwaukee on Monday.

Mrs. Mary Schune was here from Granton Monday.

Mrs. M.C. Redmond was at Marshfield on Monday afternoon.

Mrs. Thomas Lowe went to Sparta Monday to spend a short time.

Mr. and Mrs. Vint Lee were here from Withee the first of the week.

Mrs. Henry Hubing and baby went to Jefferson Monday to spend a short time.

D.O. Chapman went to Chicago Monday to spend a few days on a business trip.

Mrs. John Langraf went to La Crosse Monday to visit for a week and attend the fair.

Doc Chapman has sold his refreshment parlor to Frank Joy who has taken possession.

Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Campbell left Tuesday to spend a month with their daughter at George, Iowa.

Miss Minnie Blakeslee of Minneapolis went to Sparta Monday to spend a short time before returning home.

Mr. and Mrs. Tom O’Brien returned home to Minneapolis Monday after a brief visit with relatives here.

George Zimmerman drove to Marshfield Tuesday and brought his wife and son home from the hospital.

Mrs. A.J. Peterson is taking frequent trips to Marshfield for the treatment of quite serious eye trouble.

Mrs. W.E. Forman went to the hospital at Marshfield on Wednesday and underwent a successful operation on Thursday.

Mrs. Wm. Glasow, Jr., went to Marshfield Tuesday to spend the day with her mother, Mrs. Forman, in the hospital there.

Ralph Short and E.A. Beechler went to Davenport, Iowa, Monday to attend the Supreme Convention of Mystic Workers.

Mrs. Carrie Elliot left Monday for her home at Ft. Wayne, Ind., after a few weeks’ visit with Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Forman.

Gus. Kalsow returned to Camp Grant Monday after spending a month’s furlough helping with the farm work at home.

Orrin Mott left Monday for his home at Jackson, Tenn., after spending several weeks here with Mr. and Mrs. James Phillips.

Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Crosby, Mr. and Mrs. L. Williamson and Mrs. Bob Brauer drove to Withee and Owen on Monday afternoon, Mrs. Williamson going in the interests of the “Fatherless Children of France.”

A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. F.P. Jorgenson at the Marshfield Hospital and mother and baby are doing fine. The father is not yet past the danger point from enlarged head as the result of the addition to his family.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel