News: Neillsville (5 Sep 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Irvine, Henderson, Walters, Rupprecht, Gustad, Matheson, Rucks, Tucker, Shaw, Dittmer, Nuesse, Scovill, Nelson, Newell, Schuster, Lowe, Trogner, Brown, Heffernan, Jacques, Brick, Robinson, Alger, Peuschner, O’Brien, Cross, Rodolf, Hemphill, Wildish, Hopkinson, Monk, Schweinler, Condit, Gallagher, Bruley, Weinberger, Raine, Edgbert, Sterling, Counsell, Meyers, Zimmerman, Wilbur, Hoesly, Wall, Schroeder, Prochazka, Rossman, Svirnoff, Babcock, Schuelke, Ring, Marth, Schultz, Brandt, Root, Andrews, Bullard, Reimer, Bartell, Jahnke, Schuelke, Ghent, Barton, Wendt, Wendel, Blum

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 9/5/1918

Neillsville (5 Sep 1918)

Miss Eulah Irvine returned to her school work at Appleton Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. John Irvine visited at Crandon a few days last week.

Prof. and Mrs. Henderson returned last week from their vacation.

Miss Julia Walters went to Marshfield Monday to resume her teaching.

Miss Amelia Rupprecht has taken a position in the grocery department of the Big store.

Mr. and Mrs. Gustad drove here from Iowa in their car to visit with Dr. and Mrs. Matheson.

Mrs. Wm. Rucks returned home to Berlin, Wis., Monday after a short visit with relatives here.

Chas. Tucker of Lodi returned home Monday after spending a few days with Mr. and Mrs. Len Shaw.

Mrs. Ruth Dittmer went to Ladysmith Saturday night where she will teach in the training school this year.

Mrs. Al. Nuesse of Freeport, Ill., is here visiting Dr. and Mrs. A. Matheson. Mrs. Nuesse was Miss Kit Scovill.

Mrs. Rena Nelson of Black River Falls was the guest of Mr. and Mrs. P.N. Nelson for several days last week.

Nesbitt Newell of Sioux Falls, S.D., spent a few days last week with his uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Schuster.

Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Lowe, Geo. Trogner and Herbert Brown left Tuesday to spend a week fishing at Lac du Flambeau.

Miss Clarissa Heffernan of Wilton spent Sunday here with her sister, Mrs. Edgar Henderson, going to her school at Birnamwood on Monday.

Capt. Wm. Jacques came home Monday to spend a few days’ furlough. He has just taken a detachment of soldiers to Ft. Sheridan.

Mrs. Chris Brick and daughter left last week for their home at Sidney, Mont., after spending the summer with her mother, Mrs. Robinson.

Miss Maude Alger of Thorp and Mrs. Peuschner of Dorchester, supervising rural school teachers, have returned from their vacation and resumed work.

Mrs. Ted O’Brien and little daughter came up from Alma Center Saturday and spent Sunday with her mother, Mrs. P. Cross, returning Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rodolf and children of Tulsa, Okla., spent a few days here last week with the W.L. Hemphill family, going from here to Minneapolis to visit Lieut. Rodolf.

Friends of Mrs. Allen Wildish will be pleased to know that she has nearly recovered from her sickness with diphtheria at the Marshfield Hospital and is feeling quite well again.

Mrs. D.W. Hopkinson has moved back to Neillsville from Abbotsford and is now living in her home recently purchased from Dr. Monk, the old Edgbert home. She will be sincerely welcomed here by all her friends.

Chas. Schweinler and wife of Jefferson were the guests of their son, Dr. Schweinler, and wife last week.
Father and son were at Rochester one day last week to consult the Mayo Bros. relative to an ailment of Mr. Schweinler, Sr.

T.D. Condit came from Diller, Neb., last week and will spend several weeks here. He looks fine and feels well, but he confessed that Wisconsin looks best to him and is glad to get back to the old stamping grounds for a few weeks.

Miss Ella Gallagher, who was taken to the Marshfield Hospital for a possible operation for appendicitis, is getting along nicely and it is now expected that she will recover without the operation. Her mother spent Monday with her, at which time she learned that it seemed very possible that Ella was suffering from typhoid fever and not appendicitis.

Mrs. Emery Bruley and daughter, Mare, went to La Crosse Monday where they will make their future home. Mrs. Bruley will engage in the millinery business at La Crosse with Mrs. Weinberger. She will continue her millinery store here and Mrs. Mary Bruley will conduct it. It is with a deep feeling of regret that the many friends of Mrs. Bruley and her daughter see them leave Neillsville, for they have been residents of this city for many years and have been so prominent in social circles that they will be greatly missed. However, their friends here sincerely hope that their move will be one of great success to them.

Fred Raine is quite sick.

Leo Edgbert is here from Chetek.

Russell Sterling returned to Stanley on Tuesday for a few days.

Jos. Counsell has been quite sick for several days.

Leo Meyers went to Boone, Iowa, Monday to work.

Joe Zimmerman was at Eau Claire Tuesday on business.

Ben Wilbur has gone to South Dakota and may locate there.

John Hoesly went to Eau Claire Tuesday to spend a short time.

Fred Wall went to Evansville Tuesday to visit his grandparents.

Leo Schroeder went to Reedsburg Tuesday where he has employment.

J.B. Lowe returned last week from a trip to Milwaukee.

Miss Prochazka returned to her work in Chicago on Monday.

E.J. Rossman and wife returned last week from their auto trip to Chicago.

Harry Svirnoff and wife and two sons left Tuesday in their auto for Chicago.

Chas. Babcock retuned Monday from South Dakota where he has been working.

Hm. Schuelke, serving in the navy, is home from Rhode Island on a month’s furlough.

Miss Avis Ring was home over Sunday with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. L.B. Ring.

Miss Emma Marth left Saturday for Billings, Mont., where she will teach again this year.

Miss Ella Schultz went to Eau Claire Monday and will spend the winter there.

Fred and Arnold Brandt went to Watertown Tuesday to resume their college studies.

Lieut. Ross Root was up from Camp Grant to spend a few days furlough last week.

Mr. and Mrs. Ole Lowe went to St. Paul Tuesday to spend a few days with their daughter.

Mrs. M. Hoesly and daughter, Miss Amelia, returned Monday from a visit at Algoma, Iowa.

Mr. and Mrs. Irvin Andrews returned home to Park Falls Tuesday after a short visit here.

Miss Grace Brown left Tuesday for Tarkio, Missouri, where she will teach in the Tarkio College.

Mrs. Harold Bullard of Ellcoe came last week to spend a short time with Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Bullard.

J.E. Reimer of Hillsboro, N.D., was a guest at the home of H.E. Bartell for a few days, previous to entering the army.

Mrs. Julius Jahnke and children returned home to Chicago Monday after spending a couple weeks here with relatives and friends.

Mr. and Mrs. Carl Schuelke came over from Marshfield Saturday night to spend Sunday and Monday here with friends and relatives.

J.B. Lowe fell down stairs at the old laundry building while helping move up a piece of furniture and bruised himself up quite badly.

Henry Ghent and Anton Barton and their wives and Mrs. Fred Wendt drove in the Ghent car to Chippewa Falls and Eau Claire on Monday.

Jacob Wendel came up from Chicago last Thursday to join his wife and children in a visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. Blum. They returned home Monday.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel