News: Neillsville (15 Aug 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Marth, Bachmann, Bever, Robinson, Wenzel, Wasserburger, Warner, Stockwell, Knopp, Ainsworth, Neville, Short, Hoey, Rodolf, Beeckler, Fulton, Crockett, Smith, Irvine, Zaeske, Stoffel, Maxwell, Poole, Wildish, Seidelman, Chapman, Hamilton, Kelly, Flynn, Sturdevant, Meade, Barrett, Naedler, Page, Loy, Peterman, McHugh, Lyons, Herrian, Heyder, Anderson, Neff, O’Grady, Whitney, Volz, Monk, Lehman, Genrich, Brandt, Bonine, Moffatt, Palmer, Carlton, Tufts, Anderson, Jorgenson, Irving, Neilson, Rude, Paulson, Lyman, Marsh, Dittmer, Griffin, HAugen, Hanson, Shoop, Krause, Bradbury, Patey, Ketel, Meyers, Schwentkofske, Klopf, Page, Campman, Rush, Beardsley, Bell, Stevens

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 8/15/1918

Neillsville (15 Aug 1918)

Frank Marth went to Appleton on Monday.

Dr. Bachmann was at Marshfield on Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. George Bever were here from Granton Monday.

Miss Fern Robinson left Monday for a few days at Rice Lake.

Anthony Wenzel was at Marshfield Monday on business.

George Wasserburger went to Wausau Monday.

C.F. Warner went to Illinois last week to spend his vacation.

Donald Stockwell returned to his home at Volga, S.D., last Thursday.

Miss Emma Knopp returned home Monday from the Marshfield Hospital.

Miss Alice Ainsworth went to Sparta Monday to spend a week with friends.

Wm. Neville went to Humbird Saturday to bring home a threshing outfit.

Mr. and Mrs. J.W. Short were at Marshfield on Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Hoey spent Sunday at Oshkosh.

Lieut. M.C. Rodolf was here from Minneapolis over Sunday.

Mrs. Geo. Beeckler is home from a brief visit with friends at Green Bay.

Elmer Fulton of Black River Falls is training a string of horses at the fairgrounds.

O.A. Crockett and dAughter, Miss Ruth, went to Camp Grant Monday to spend a few days.

W.L. Smith went to Milwaukee Thursday and brought his son, Herbert, home with him.

Miss Eula Irvine is home from Appleton where she has been attending business college.

Mrs. O.A. Zaeske and children went to Campbellsport, Ill., last week to spend a few weeks.

Glynn Stoffel came home Saturday from Great Lakes Training Station to spend a short furlough.

Miss Jennie Maxwell is taking her vacation from the Big store and went to Minneapolis Monday.

Mrs. Chas. Poole went to Eau Claire and brought Mrs. Allen Wildish home from the hospital there.

Henry Seidelman returned last week from the hospital at Eau Claire where he has been taking treatment.

Mr. and Mrs. D.O. Chapman went to Oshkosh Sunday night to spend a couple days with Mr. and Mrs. C.F. Hamilton.

Wm. Kelly came home from Jersey City to spend a ten-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Tom Kelly.

Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Flynn were here from Altoona a couple days last week visiting Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Sturdevant.

Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Meade left Wednesday for a few days’ visit with relatives and friends at Neillsville. – Fairchild Observer

Sol Barrett and children, Roderick, Hugh, David, Beulah, and Vera, went to Devils Lake, N.D. last week to spend a few weeks.

Henry Naedler is home from Madison on an over-Sunday furlough.

W.W. Page went to Lac du Flambeau Tuesday to work.

Born to Mr. and Mrs. Guy Loy of 1214 4th St., Beloit, a dAughter at the Beloit Hospital, August 1. Mother and babe are doing fine.

Mr. and Mrs. Pete Peterman drove from Greenwood Monday to meet their son and dAughter, who were returning home from La Crosse.

Mrs. R.C. McHugh is here from Chicago visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Al. Lyons. She and Mrs. Lyons spent a couple of days at Eau Claire last week.

Miss Minnie Herrian went to Granton Monday to spend a few days with her sister-in-law, Mrs. John Herrian, who returned home to Glendive, Mont., on Tuesday.

Miss Clara Heyder came home from Eau Claire last week where she underwent an operation. She returned with her sister, Mrs. Frank Anderson, to River Falls yesterday.

Mr. and Mrs. Neff returned to their home at Dayton, Ohio, last week after a few weeks’ visit with their son, Harry, and family. Harry returned home with them to spend a short time.

Miss Leone O’Grady, dAughter of Dennis O’Grady, and Harry L. Whitney were united in marriage by Rev. Father Volz, at St. John’s Catholic Church at Marshfield Tuesday morning, Aug. 6.

Robert Monk is here from Great Lakes Training Station for a few days furlough with his parents. His wife joined him here to spend a few days. Floyd Monk also came from the Great Lakes station last week to spend a furlough.

Miss Dorothy Lehman and Miss Gertrude Genrich returned home to Merrill Monday after a few days visit with the Misses Brandt. Miss Clara Bonine of Wausau is also a guest at the Brandt home.

E.R. Moffatt has just received a letter from his son, Hollie, a former Co. A member, now with the 128th Inft., in which he says that he has just returned from the first line trenches and that he is in excellent health, but that he can stand a little rest. Hollie’s letter was dated July 6th and was received here on the 5th of August. It is the first they had heard from him for about seven months.

M. Palmer was at Merrillan on Tuesday.

T.V. Carlton was here from Adams over Sunday.

W.C. Tufts and Gunder Anderson were here from Owen Monday.

Miss Alma Marth returned home this week from a six weeks’ visit in Milwaukee.

Mrs. F.P. Jorgenson and sister, Miss Maude Irving, were at Marshfield on Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Neils Neilson went to Chicago Tuesday to spend a short time with relatives.

Miss Mary Rude and Miss Agnes Paulson went to Camp Grant on Friday to spend a few days.

Mrs. W.B. Lyman came from Boise, Idaho, Tuesday to visit at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Marsh.

Mrs. Ruth Dittmer went to Ladysmith Saturday night to spend Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. P.H. Griffin.

Mrs. Freeman HAugen and dAughter of Goodland, Kansas, are guests at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ole Hanson.

Lee Shoop of Loyal was home from Camp Robinson over Sunday. Mr. and Mrs. Gust Krause took him to Merrillan Monday in their car.

Dr. Bradbury and son went to Milwaukee Monday night and from there will go to Great Lakes to spend a couple days with Dr. and Mrs. Bradbury.

The wife of out YMCA Secretary, Mrs. Wm. H. Patey and baby dAughter, Judith Mariex, arrived in Neillsville last Saturday to take up their residence.

Mrs. Matilda Ketel and dAughter, Miss Clara, left yesterday for St. Helens, Ore., where they will spend the winter and Miss Clara will teach there again.
Will Meyers has taken a position at St. Paul and Carl Schwentkofske leaves in a few days to join the navy. As a result A.C. Klopf and Irl Page have taken the positions of the two gentlemen at the depot. Mr. Klopf will be at his jewelry store every evening.

Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Campman and dAughter and Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Rush and son left Monday for Lac du Flambeau in their cars. Mr. and Mrs. Campman will spend a few days there and will then continue their auto trip through the northern part of the state to Ashland and Duluth.

On Sunday Mr. and Mrs. George Beardsley were given a very pleasant surprise when Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Bell of Spokane, Wash., Mr. and Mrs. Ghet Stevens and Dr. and Mrs. Bell of Tomah stopped off on an auto trip to Wausau. They had left Tomah Sunday morning and expected to arrive at Wausau that afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. George Bell and Mr. and Mrs. Beardsley were neighbors forty-five years ago and the visit of the party on Sunday was an especially enjoyable one to all.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel