News: Neillsville (1 Aug 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Duge, Klawitter, Barteld, Hein, Lynch, Neuman, Gehrt, Taube, Dodte, Campbell, Markham, Knoop, Lloyd, Bissell, Free, Brooks, Anthony, Root, Hubing, Saaf, Bradbury, Meade, Holcomb, Siems, Riedel, Schultz, Metcalf, Stockwell, Williamson, Knutson, Parker, Beardsley, Pernod, Hanson, Turner, Crosby, Coppins, Clark, Carpenter, Campman, Ramsteth, Peck, Dimmler, Castensen, Schultz, Warren, Steinhaus, Klopf, Krumrey, Benedict, Winters, Wasserburger, Wagner, Ketel, Brauer, Shafer, Bruley, Welch, Anderson, Steinhaus, Lien, Rossman, Irvine, Dresden¸ Wegner, Zindell, Hobbs, Blackman, Selvca, Potter, Snyder, Lightfoot

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 8/1/1918

Neillsville (1 Aug 1918)

Mrs. Wm. Duge was at Marshfield on Monday.

Paul Klawitter went to Manitowoc to spend a short time.

Paul Barteld came home from Camp Grant Friday to spend a few days’ furlough at home.

Miss Frances Hein of Tony is here for a visit with friends.

Miss Marion Lynch was at Eau Claire on Thursday.

R.H. Neuman has been here from Covington, Ky., for the past week visiting his parents.

Ed. Gehrt is here from Milwaukee to spend a short time.

Mrs. Chas. Taube and dAughter are spending a few days at Granton.

Miss Clarice Dodte is spending her vacation at River Falls and Withee.

C.A. Campbell returned to Humbird Thursday after a few days’ visit here.

Mrs. W. Markham of Kaukauna is visiting here with Mrs. Minnie Markham.

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Knoop of Arcadia spent Sunday here with relatives.

Mrs. George Lloyd went to Chippewa Falls Tuesday to spend a few days.

Mrs. Roy Bissell returned home Monday from a visit at Owen and Eau Claire.

Miss Ruth Free spent the weekend with the Charles Brooks family at Grafton.

Mrs. V.W. Anthony went to Weyawega Tuesday to spend a short time with relatives.

Mrs. Frank Root and dAughter of Rudolph are visiting her mother, Mrs. N. Hubing.

Aug. Saaf was here from Chicago last week to see his son, who went to Camp Grant Friday.

Mrs. H.M. Root and Marion Bradbury went to Wonewoc Friday to spend a short time.

Mrs. Meade, who has been visiting Mr. and Mrs. H.M. Root, went to Greenwood on Friday.

Mrs. Chauncey Holcomb is here from Eau Claire for a visit with Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Holcomb.

Fred Siems went to Arlington Heights, Ill., Friday to attend the funeral of an old friend.

Ed. Riedel, Paul Schultz and Walter Metcalf went to the Dakota harvest fields last week.

Donald Stockwell came Monday from Volga, S.D. to spend a short time with Louis Williamson.

Henry Knutson and wife returned home to Rhinelander Friday after spending a few days here.

Mrs. Millard Parker returned home to Deere River, Minn., Thursday after a brief visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Beardsley.

Paul Pernod went to Waupaca Thursday to look after his farm.

Rudolph Hanson of Eau Claire was here on business Tuesday. He is now working for the Bell Telephone Co.

James Turner, who has been spending his vacation with Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Crosby, returned home on Monday.

Mrs. Gavin Coppins returned home to Ft. Atkinson Monday after spending a month here with her mother, Mrs. N. Hubing.

Mrs. Hattie Clark of Oshkosh is here for a visit with her brother, A. Carpenter¸ who has been quite sick for some time.

On Monday afternoon Miss Jean Campman was the hostess at a party given to her playmates in honor of her birthday.

Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Ramsteth of Walmuth, N.D. have been visiting Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Peck, the two ladies being sisters.

Mrs. Henry Dimmler returned home to Marshfield Friday after a short visit with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. D. Carstensen.

Mrs. Chas. Taube and dAughter, Miss Dellaphine, went to Granton Monday to spend a few days with her sister-in-law, Mrs. Mary Schultz.

Otto Warren took his little dAughter to Wausau Thursday, where she met her aunt and went home with her to Cecil to spend a short time.

Mrs. Antonnette Steinhaus has returned to her home at Cleveland, Wis., after a six weeks’ visit at the home of her son Walter Steinhaus.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Klopf of Freeport, Ill., arrived here Tuesday in their car to spend a few days with Mr. and Mrs. C. Krumrey.

Miss Margaret Benedict returned home to Fond du Lac Tuesday after a short visit with her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Julius Benedict.

J.M. Winters was a pleasant caller at this office on Wednesday. He has just passed his 90th birthday and gets around as spry and chipper.

George Wasserburger, editor of the Athens Record, came home Saturday to spend a few days with his mother. He is preparing to enlist in the Navy.

Miss Louise Wagner returned home to Ladysmith Monday after a brief visit with Miss Clara Ketel. Miss Ketel returned home with her to spend a short time.

Bob Brauer went to Milwaukee Saturday evening on a business trip. Mrs. Shafer and dAughter of Merrill are visiting her sisters, Mrs. Bruley and Mrs. Welch.

Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Anderson and baby, Willard, returned home to Minneapolis Saturday after a two weeks’ visit at the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Steinhaus.

Mrs. Lien of Stanley is here for a visit with her sister, Mrs. E.J. Rossman.

Mrs. John Irvine and dAughter went to Loyal Tuesday to spend a few days.

Bert Dresden has installed a new gasoline and oil filling station at his Merchant’s hotel garage.

Mrs. Fred Wegner went to Arcadia Tuesday to attend the funeral of Peter Zindell of Wausau.

Alfred Taube returned home to Oshkosh Sunday night after spending a few days here with relatives.

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Hobbs went to Clintonville Friday to spend a short time. Mrs. Hobbs has recently accepted a contract with the Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York and will soon start out for that company.

Mrs. Mary Blackman returned home Tuesday from Wyoming where she had spent the winter. She was brought home by her son, Elgie Blackman, and Mrs. Ted Selvca, for she has been in very poor health for some time, but it is hoped that the old home and Wisconsin climate will soon bring her out all right.

Sunday evening a Ford occupied by H. Potter, Guy Snyder and Wm. Lightfoot turned turtle just north of the Catholic Church. None of the gentlemen know just how the accident occurred, but it seems evident that the steering gear must have gone wrong. Mr. Lightfoot was quite badly hurt, three ribs and his collarbone being broken. Potter and Snyder were bruised up a bit, but not hurt badly.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel