News: Neillsville (25 Jul 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Ure. Knoop, Hudson, Alt, Bremer, Sack, Dorn, Marx, Dittmer, Spalding, Anthony, Brown, Barber, Listeman, Kountz, Sears, Lloyd, Carlton, Stockwell, Hewett, Rush, Rowe, Hughes, Brameld, Pirwitz, Hodgkins, Bullard, Heyder, Lowe, Bachmann, Johnson, Haberland, Dewhurst, Hoey, Dwyer, Hamilton, Williamson, Gillard, Ross, Withee, Austin, Holcomb, Brooks, Crosby, Beck, Keuntjes

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 7/25/1918

Neillsville (25 Jul 1918)

Miss Vivian Ure came home from a six weeks’ visit in Chicago on Friday.

Miss Emma Knoop went to Marshfield Monday to have her tonsils removed.

Mrs. Chas. Hudson and Miss Effie Alt returned last week from their visit in Indiana.

Mrs. Frank Bremer of Chicago is here visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Dan Sack.

Mrs. Herbert Dorn returned Monday from a brief visit with her husband at Sparta.

Miss Helene Marx returned Monday from a short visit with her sisters at Eau Claire.

Mrs. Ruth Dittmer went to Marshfield Monday to spend a week with Mrs. T.D. Spalding.

Mrs. L.M. Anthony of Wyowega left for Boutel, N.D., after a short visit here with her son.

County Agricultural Agent R.V. Brown attended a meeting of county agents at Ashland last week.

Mrs. Barber returned home to Chicago Monday after a visit with her brother, Kurt Listeman, and wife.

Mrs. R.F. Kountz and daughter went to Eau Claire on Saturday where Mrs. Kountz will receive medical attention.

Miss Lois Sears returned Monday from a visit at Medford.

Mrs. George Lloyd is visiting her daughter at Chippewa Falls.

T.V. Carlton was here from Adams Monday on business.

C.S. Stockwell was at Curtiss the first of the week doing some surveying.

Sheriff Hewett and District Attorney Rush were at Eau Claire on Tuesday.

Mrs. Ralph Rowe came over from Fairchild Monday to spend a short time with Mr. and Mrs. Ed. Rowe.

Miss Margaret Hughes came from Montana Monday to spend a short time here with relatives on the Ridge.

Raymond Brameld went to Ashland Monday to take a position in the Checking Department of the Dupont Powder Co.

Paul Pirwitz of Marshfield, formerly of Neillsville, enlisted in the army and left on July 15th for a training camp.

Mesdames Hodgkins and Harvey returned home to Fond du Lac Monday after a visit with Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Bullard.

Miss Clara Heyder went to River Falls Monday to spend a short time with her sister. Miss Nan Lowe is filling her position at Dr. Bachmann’s office.

Mrs. Johnson returned home to Minneapolis last week after a couple weeks’ visit at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Haberland.

The early tomato record goes to the Dewhurst garden this year, as Pete Brown picked ripe tomatoes there on July 18th.

Mrs. E.J. Hoey and Miss Jesse Dwyer went to Oshkosh Monday evening to spend a few days with Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Hamilton.

Mr. and Mrs. L. Williamson and son were at the Marshfield Hospital on Thursday, Louis undergoing a slight operation on his nose.

The W.R.C. members will hold their regular meetings on Friday afternoons beginning July 26, instead of Saturday as heretofore.

Arthur Gillard returned home to Watertown, S.D., Monday after a short visit here. Miss Lorene Ross accompanied him home to spend a short time.

The Bruley flour mill has been operating on potato flour for the past several days, grinding flour for the National Food Preserving Co. The flour is a very fine article.

Miss Gracie Withee returned home to Minneapolis Monday after a couple weeks’ visit with Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Rush. Robert Rush accompanied her home to spend a short time.

Mr. and Mrs. Hans Johnson and children returned to Eau Claire last week after a visit with relatives here. Mr. Johnson had been enjoying a vacation from his work as a city mail carrier at Eau Claire.

Misses Katherine Austin and Ruth Holcomb left Tuesday for Washington to take positions as stenographers for the government. They recently passed a civil service examination successfully and their new positions are the result of this examination.

H.J. Brooks has rented the refreshment parlor of the Merchants Hotel and will operate it in the future, dispensing soft drinks, cigars, etc. Herb should make a success of this business for he has a large acquaintance and a host of friends who will patronize him.

A twelve-year-old boy at Holcomb was killed and his companion seriously injured by the explosion of gasoline in a supposedly empty gasoline barrel. The boys were smoking “smokeweed” and dropped a lighted brand into the barrel. The explosion followed.

S.F. Hewett has the banner field of corn in these parts. It is only a small field, but it stands uniformly over 6 feet high, without the leaves being stretched up, and is about the thriftiest looking corn we have seen this year.

Mrs. E.W. Crosby came home from Chicago Monday, bringing her sister, Miss Katie Beck with her, and Miss Beck will spend the summer here recovering from her operation.

A 12-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Keuntjes near Stevens Point suffered a bad accident last week by falling into a manure spreader while in motion. The little fellow was drawn through the spreader, the spikes on the cylinder lacerating him most severely. He is now at the hospital at Marshfield with small chances of recovery.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel