News: Neillsville (13  Jun 1918)

Contact: Ann Stevens

Surnames: Bachman, Lowe, Howell, Monk, Poaste, Counsell, McLane, Radke, Montgomery, Wendl, MacMillan, Woodworth, Brooks, Wilson, Gergen, Farrning, Nelson, Krumrey, La Vasseur, Tourigny, Keller, Lenz, Polinow, Eberhardt, Jaseph, Campbell, Huckstead, O’Neill, Hewett, Stelloh, Dresden, Dahl, Frenzel, Enders, Schultz, Cole, Franke, Kleinschmidt, Dresher, Lindow, Nitszchke, Guenther, Schnellpfepper, Popp, Runge, Rabenstein, Patey, Arlington, Prock, Neis, Stockwell, Unger, Rossman, Carter, Naedler, Snyder, Brameld, Caldwell, Dwyer, Howard, Maxwell, Schlote, Wilbur, Wallace, Erickson, Beauleau, Hamilton, Clark, Cook, Manzo, Smith, Swanson, Hewett, Wurtella, Brick, Robinson, Waterpool, Dorn, Kopp, Warlum, Vanderhey, Ayers, Lynch, Irvine, Harking, Schroeder, Holtz, Beaver, Prock, Votava, Meyers, Sturdevant, Marx, Winters, Heller, Lee, Fisher, Mason, Bradbury, Eberhardt, Campman, Dwyer, Rowley

----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 6/13/1918

Neillsville (13  Jun 1918)

Dr. Bachman was at Marshfield on Friday.

Thomas Lowe was at Milwaukee on Thursday.

Chas. Howell was here from Merrillan on Saturday.

Dr. Monk transacted business at Chicago last week.

Wm. Poate transacted business at Marshfield on Saturday.

Jos. Counsell spent Sunday with relatives at Alma Center.

John McLane was here from Marshfield on Thursday.

Miss Frieda Radke returned Saturday from La Crosse normal.

Mr. and Mrs. Will Montgomery visited at Marshfield over Sunday.

Mrs. Frank Wendl went to Chicago Friday to spend a short time.

Mrs. Mary MacMillan returned Monday from her visit to Chicago.

W.H. Woodworth of Eau Claire was here Friday greeting old friends.

C.E. Brooks and George Wilson transacted business at Milwaukee last week.

Mrs. Elizabeth Gergen is home from a visit with her daughter at Oshkosh.

James Farning went to Chili Monday to help out in the bank for a few days.

Mrs. P.N. Nelson and Mrs. C. Krumrey were at Eau Claire on Saturday.

Mrs. J.A. La Vasseur came from Montreal, Canada, Monday to visit sister, Miss. B. Tourigny.

Mrs. M. Keller and daughter went to Jefferson Thursday to spend a short time visiting.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Lenz and Walter Polinow autoed to Eau Claire Friday and spent the day.

Mrs. R.P. Eberhardt and children went to Marshfield Saturday to spend a few days with her parents.

Sol Jaseph returned Saturday from Milwaukee where he was a delegate to the Odd Fellow Grand Lodge.

Mrs. Campbell returned home to St. Paul Friday after a brief visit at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H.O. Huckstead.

Judge O’Neill was one of the speakers at the homecoming at Hixton last Sunday. Mr. and Mrs. S.F. Hewett drove over with him.

Stelloh Bros. have purchased the Crocker livery barn now occupied by Bert Dresden and expected to remodel it into a modern building to accommodate their implement business.

Hm. Dahl and Gus. Frenzel left Friday for Buffalo, N.Y., where they will visit for a few days and look over the country with a possible view of locating there.

Mr. and Mrs. Nick Enders and children left Monday in their Overland car for Beloit, where they will make their future home. Their household goods were shipped last week.

The eclipse of the sun on Saturday evening was not an entire success here, for the ski was quite cloudy. However, the clouds occasionally cleared up to sufficiently allow persons to watch the phenomena.

The Granton News reports the marriages of Miss Hertha Schultz to Alvin J. Cole, Miss Ida Franke to Edward Kleinschmidt, Miss Mary Drescher to Wm. G., Lindow and Miss Lydia Nitszchke to Wm. Guenther.

Mrs. Henry Schnellpfepper and Mrs. Jos. Popp, mother and sister of Mrs. Carl Runge, returned home to Mayville Monday after a brief visit at the Runge home. Miss Erna Runge returned with them to spend a short time.

Maurel Rabenstein, son of Editor and Mrs. Carl Rabenstein, has received his commission as lieutenant in the aviation department, a fact which will be of great pleasure to his friends back home. He has been in training in this work in Texas for several months.

Mr. W.H. Patey, the recently appointed county secretary of the Y.M.C.A. work in Clark County, arrived in this territory last week and is now busy about the county making preparations for the establishment of the local Y.M.C.A. about the county early in the fall.

Don’t fail to hear Corporal Edward W. Arlington at the Badger Saturday evening,  June 15, in connection with the big war picture “War as It Really Is.” Direct from big city engagements. The Corporal has a very interesting collection of souvenirs from over there and each souvenir has an interesting story attached to it.

Mrs. M. Prock and Mrs. Anna Neis went to Eau Claire Thursday to see Clayton Neis, who was taken to the hospital from Mondovi for an operation. He has been working at Mondavi. From there the two ladies went to Chippewa Falls to spend a few days with relatives, returning home Monday.

C.S. Stockwell went to Milwaukee on Monday.

Adolph Unger is driving a new Mitchell car.

Mrs. E.J. Rossman is visiting her sister at Kilbourn.

Lon Huckstead went to Crandon Tuesday on business.

E.J. Rossman went to Duluth Sunday on a business trip.

Clint Carter was home from Minneapolis on Tuesday.

Edw. Naedler is home from Glen Bulah for the summer.

Miss Ella Snyder is spending a few days in Milwaukee.

T.E. Brameld and son, Raymond, were at Wausau Monday.

Dan Caldwell went to Chicago Sunday to spend a few days.

J.D. Dwyer was here form Alma Center Tuesday on business.

Mr. and Mrs. L.H. Howard spent a few days at Colby last week.

Miss Irene Maxwell is learning the jeweler’s trade at P.N. Nelson’s.

Chas. Schlote returned Tuesday from a business trip to Chicago.

Ben Wilbur left Tuesday for a visit with his brothers at Brookings, S.D.

Mrs. Avery Wallace broke her leg last Thursday evening by stepping off the sidewalk into the ditch near her home.

The name of Martin Erickson appears in the casualty list as killed in action.

Mr. and Mrs. M.F. Beauleau drove to Osseo Sunday to spend a couple of days.

Mrs. C.F. Hamilton and children are here from Oshkosh for a couple weeks’ visit.

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Clark of Merrillan spent Sunday with Mr. and Mrs. Lon Cook.

Mrs. Manzo returned home to Milwaukee Monday after a two weeks’ visit here with friends.

Chester Cook and Art Smith left Sunday for Manitowoc to work in the ship building yards.

The Senior Class presented the high school with a new Remington typewriter, the purchase being made out of the Class Play fund.

Mrs. Aug. Swanson received a telegram Monday telling of the death of her sister at Maywood, Ill.

Mrs. Harry Hewett took Helen Wurtella to Mendota Monday. The little girl lives in town Longwood.

Mrs. Chris Brick and daughter came from Glendive, Mont., Monday to visit her mother, Mrs. Robinson.

We are glad the Y.M.C.A. programme is to become a part of Clark County and we wish for its every success.

Wm. Waterpool returned Saturday from Lancaster where he has been teaching and is preparing to enlist in the aviation corps.

Herbert Dorn came home Saturday from Sparta for a few days furlough. He was a member of the division which took a hike from Camp Grant to Camp Robinson.

Fred Kopp was brought down from town Beaver Monday by Under-Sheriff Warlum and locked up for assaulting James Vanderhey. He gave Vanderhey quite a pounding up.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ayers and son, Erv, autoed to Darlington Sunday to spend a week with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Lynch. Mrs. Lon Cook is keeping house for them during their absence.

J.J. Irvine took his daughter, Miss Eulah, to Appleton Saturday where she will take a course at Bushy’s business college. Jay Harking, Emil Schroeder and Miss Lillian Holtz also went to Appleton last week to take courses at the same school.

Mr. and Mrs. Mat Beaver of Norwalk drove up Friday in their car to visit their son, Herman, and his family. Mrs. Joe Prock, who has been visiting in Spartra, Chaston, Norwalk and other places, came home with them.

The county work of the Y.M.C.A. is fast spreading to all parts of the nation. It is non-sectarian and its main object is to help direct the boy life of the county into channels which are attractive to the boys and at the same time beneficial in the building of character.

Mrs. Pia Anna Votava was adjudged insane on Tuesday and taken to Mendota that day. She created a disturbance on Monday and during her arraignment tore down an American flag at Kleckner’s elevator. She has been of unsound mind for some time and was at Mendota about three years ago.

Adolph Meyers was at Marshfield between trains Monday.

C.R. Sturdevant transacted business at Le Crosse on Tuesday.

Miss Johanna Marx returned to Eau Claire Monday after a few days’ visit at home.

Mrs. T.M. Winters went to Evansville Tuesday to visit with her daughter for a short time.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Heller went to Beloit Tuesday to spend a few days, taking their grandchildren home with them also.

Mrs. Hattie Lee went to Fond du Lac to attend the wedding of Miss Grace Fisher and Claude Mason which occurred there Tuesday. The bride was a former Neillsville girl and the groom a Chicago boy.

Dr. Bradbury, H.H. Eberhardt and W.A. Campman went to Black River Falls Tuesday, the first two gentlemen to appear as witnesses in the Meyers murder trial and Mr. Campman to act as counsel for the Lynn Insurance Co. in the same case.

J.D. Dwyer sold the old Ring stock farm Tuesday to Robt. Rowley of Hillsboro. It is understood that the consideration was around $30,000. Mr., Rowley expects to move up with his family soon and take charge of the farm.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel