School: Humbird Elementary School Closing (Open
House - 1973)
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Hogue, Gearing, Krumholtz, Newton, Fristad, Waters, Noyes, Zerbel, Sandwick, Duerkop, Stevens, Shirley, Stuve, Trachsel, Johnson, Mayer, Hardwick, Stanley, Bradshaw, Kaufman, West, Staves, Cherry, Mashin
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co, WI) 5/24/1973
Humbird Elementary School Closing (Open House - 1973)
By Jean G. Anderson
The Humbird Elementary School will close its doors to children of United School District No. 3 at the end of the present school year.
The official closing is not being accomplished without suitable recognition. All former students, teachers and friends were invited to attend an open house and historical program last week.
Helen Hogue, a member of the faculty there for the last 14 years, acted as master of ceremonies. A history of the school, written by Alyce Gearing, was read by a former teacher, Leona Krumholtz.
Certificates of honor were awarded to: Maude Newton, Humbird, class of 1904, oldest alumnus present from the “old” high school building; Mrs. Dana Waters, Alma Center, earliest teacher present (taught from 1915 to 1917); Ed Noyes, Eau Claire, earliest principal present (1940 to 1948); Donald Zerbel, Humbird, class of 1949, latest high school graduate present; and Rick Sandwick, Merrillan, youngest student in 1973 to attend the school.
Two historical skits depicted an early school room scene and a rocking chair scene reminiscing former students and teachers. Participating were Elmer Duerkop, Grace Stevens, Mabel Shirley, Alyce Gearing, Nelda Stuve, Jim Trachsel, Stephanie Stuve, Kathy Mayer and Linda Hardwick.
Present faculty members are: Randall Stanley, principal, Janet Bradshaw, Rozanne Kaufman, Sherry West, and Helen Hogue; with Alyce Gearing and Darlene Trachsel, librarians; Mildred Staves and Helen Cherry, cooks; and Ed Mashin, custodian.
The history of the Humbird School dates back to the 1860’s, when the first school opened in the vicinity of the village and was continued in that locality until 1870.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs