BioA: Hogue, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard (Golden - 1973)
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Hogue, Kaiser, Jackim, Smith, Eggett, Buhite, Peterson
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co, WI) 2/15/1973
Hogue, Mr. and Mrs. Bernard (Golden - 3 February 1973)
A buffet-reception February 3 at the clubhouse of the Walnut Creek Manor, Walnut Creek, Calif., honored the golden wedding anniversary of Louise and Bernard Hogue, formerly of Cudahy and Greenwood, and for the last seven years residents of Walnut Creek, Calif.
Mrs. Carol Hogue Jackim and Mrs. W. James (Sharon) Smith, daughters of the couple, were hostesses at the buffet which was attended by 70 friends and relatives. Daughter, Mrs. Robert Ross (Kathleen) Smith, of Vienna, VA., was unable to attend, but she and her family has spent the Christmas holidays with her parents, at which time recognition of the forthcoming anniversary was given by way of a special cake shared by family and close friends.
Four of the Hogues’ five grandchildren were present for the February 3 observance. Out-of-town guests attending included Mr. and Mrs. Fred Eggett, formerly of Greenwood and now of Venice, Calif. Mr. Hogue’s brother, Clarence, of Merrillan, was unable to attend.
The many cards of greeting and congratulations received by the couple were displayed on floor to ceiling gold ribbons in the clubhouse. Mrs. Hogue’s anniversary corsage and her husband’s boutonniere both contained ivy grown from sprigs of English ivy included in the wedding bouquet carried by their daughter, Sharon, at her wedding in Wisconsin in 1965.
Mr. Hogue is a native of Greenwood, where he built the first radio in the community. He held a Ham radio license from approximately 1917 until failing health forced him to retire from the airwaves in recent years. During most of that time, he was a member of the American radio relay league.
Bernard Hogue is the son of William E. and Ingebor Hogue who operated a Greenwood dairy farm for many years. William Hogue was the son of Charles and Mathilda Hogue pioneers in Greenwood, whose one surviving child, Mrs. John (Nelly Hogue) Buhite, lives in Portland, Ore. Mrs. Buhite was unable to attend her nephew’s anniversary observance. Ingebor Peterson Hogue was the daughter of Elias Andrea Peterson who arrived in Greenwood in the early 1870’s from Trondheim, Norway, and spent the remainder of their lives in Greenwood. Until recent years, the Greenwood telephone company was owned by their descendants. Elias Peterson operated a shoe shop in the small building next to the present telephone office for many years.
Bernard Hogue worked in Gullard’s drug store while he attended Greenwood High School, and after graduation attended the Milwaukee School of Engineering and Milwaukee State Teachers’ College (while working in Milwaukee area drugstores). He earned his Master’s degree in Education from Marquette University.
Mrs. Hogue was born Louise Kaiser in Bay City, Mich., grew up in Milwaukee, graduated from Washington High School there, and later attended what is now the University of Wisconsin-Superior. For several years she taught in a country school near Greenwood.
The Hogues were married February 3, 1923, in Waukegan, Ill. Mr. Hogue was principal of the Washington School in Cudahy at the time of their marriage. He served as principal of Cudahy schools from 1922 until his retirement in the spring of 1965, retiring as principal of Cudahy High School after many years in that capacity. During their years in Cudahy, the Hogues were active in many civic, fraternal and church organizations.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs