News: Greenwood (Gleaner Office Damaged – 27 Mar 1934)


Surnames: Schwarze, Shields, Schiller

----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 29 Mar 1934

Fire, which broke out at about 11 a.m. Friday, did considerable damage at the Gleaner Office.

The fire was undoubtedly caused from an overheated chimney and was first discovered by Adolph Schwarze. Mr. Schwarze notice smoke coming from a second story window and at once notified the office force, who were working on the first floor.

The fire department was called, but before the blaze was put out, considerable damage was done to the second story of the building. Many of the paper's old files, together with a large quantity of print paper, card board, envelopes, rollers, maps, cuts and other supplies were destroyed.

The prompt work by members of the fire department and others saved the machinery and stock on the lower floor from serious damage, as all presses and other machines were quickly covered with canvas, thereby saving them from a severe soaking by water.

The proprietors of the Gleaner wish to thank C.A. Shields and T.F. Schiller for the use of their fire extinguishers, the members of the Greenwood Fire Department for their prompt and efficient service, those who loaned us their canvas covers and tents to cover our machines and those who helped us carry much of our stock and material to safety.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel