BioM: Churkey, Mae #2 (1953)
Surnames: Churkey, Wickerham, Riley, Sterich, Himes, Awe
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 20 Aug 1953
Churkey, Mae (8 AUG 1953)
On Saturday, Aug. 8, 1953, Miss Mae Churkey, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin Churkey, R. 4, Owen (Clark Co., Wis.) became the bride of Gilbert Wickerham of Great Lakes, Ill. at a 7:00 p.m. service at the Grace Methodist church, Greenwood. The Rev. Arthur Riley officiated at the double ring ceremony.
Escorted down the aisle on the arm of her father, the bride was gowned in white nylon net over white slipper satin. A basque of nylon lace formed the fitted bodice, which had a Peter Pan collar and sleeves extending to points over the wrists. A panel of lace decorated the skirt front with a short nylon net overskirt tapering to the end of the train.
A coronation crown studded with tiny rhinestones and seed pearls secured her short veil, which was lace edged in wide scallops. Red roses edged with white lace and ribbon streamers of red roses formed the bridal bouquet.
Preceding her down the aisle were Miss Fern Churkey, sister of the bride, as bridesmaid, and Miss Wilma Wickerham, sister of the groom, as maid of honor.
Both were attired in taffeta gowns of green and yellow respectively, with matching net crowns decorated with rhinestones. They carried bouquets of pink and white carnations.
Gordon Sterich, Lansing, Mich., cousin of the groom, was the best man, and George Himes, Owen, was groomsman. Arnold Awe and George Himes ushered.
Mrs. Churkey viewed her daughter's wedding in an orchid nylon crepe dress with white accessories. The groom's mother wore a blue suit with navy accessories. Both had corsages of pink and white feathered carnations.
The bride is a graduate of Owen High School with the class of 1952 and now is employed at the courthouse in Waukegan, Ill. Her husband is in the Navy, stationed at Great Lakes.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs