BioA: Evanson, Mr. and Mrs.
Edwin (60th - 1969)
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Evanson, Matheson, Burtness, Grether, Grundahl, Rosekrans, Grottke, Hagen, Ostling, Zimmerman, Stanley, Dudei, Stocheck, Mueller
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) /1969
Evanson, Mr. and Mrs. Edwin (60th - 16 July 1969)
Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Evanson of Neillsville observed their 60th wedding anniversary with an open house at their home here, Sunday afternoon and evening. Approximately 100 people attended.
Mrs. Evanson was born in Norway, March 10, 1889, and received her grade school education there. She came to America in 1905, and located in Blanchardville, in southern Wisconsin. She attended two years of high school and six months of Business College in Rhinelander.
Mr. Evanson was born in Norway September 1, 1885, and received a grade school education and two years of military training there. He worked on a farm for several years before coming to America in 1907. He came to Rhinelander to be near a friend, who had settled there earlier. For a year he worked in a logging camp, and later in a saw mill.
Moving to Fergus Falls, Minn., he joined a cousin to work on the northern pacific railroad, where a tornado, the worst ever seen, hit Fergus Falls and destroyed a large railroad bridge, tipped over a freight train and damaged many buildings and other property.
The next year he was employed at Swift and Company and worked in a dressing and packing plant. His responsibility was that of dispatching 1,000 sheep and 100 calves each day.
He was later employed in a Great Northern Railway shop at St. Paul, Minn.
After their marriage July 16, 1909 they lived in St. Paul for three years and moved to Argyle where Mr. Evanson, a professional carpenter, built their home. In 1919 the couple moved to Clark County and farmed in the Town of Eaton, a mile east of Greenwood. They moved to Neillsville in 1932, and rented the Hagen (or Ostling) farm, north of the city. They purchased the Zimmerman farm in the Town of Grant in 1936. The house burned in 1941 and Mr. Evanson rebuilt it. The farm is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Roy Stanley. In 1946 they purchased the Arnold Dudei residence on E. 6th Street.
In 1947, after nearly 40 years away, they returned to their homeland of Norway, where they visited a brother, a sister and some cousins and saw and heard of the tragedies brought to their country by the war.
They sold their home to Mr. and Mrs. Joe Stocheck in 1952 and bought the old Mueller residence.
Mr. Evanson was always fond of hunting, stating in Norway where he hunted for turkey, elk, bear and other game. Ten years ago, when they observed their Golden wedding anniversary, his vision was perfect and he had no need for glasses. Now, observing their 60th wedding anniversary, he needs them only for reading.
In the spring of 1966, they again visited his brother and other relatives and friends in Norway, but this was a more pleasant experience, as the country was again beautiful. Buildings had been rebuilt and the ravages of war seemed quite distant. While they were there, the King of Norway dedicated a new church and they were standing quite close to him.
It is a friendly country and those that met them at the airport brought a bouquet of flowers. When a guest is expected at someone’s home, the Norwegian Flag is flown.
Those attending the anniversary open house included: The Rev. and Mrs. E. g. Burtness of Roscoe, Ill., formerly of the Calvary Lutheran Church, and the Rev. and Mrs. Jack Grether of Neillsville. Mrs. Evanson’s nephew, the Rev. K. C. Grundahl of Minneapolis, Minn., had planned to attend, but was unable to do so as he had to take over the duties of another minister at Daleyville. Drs. Milton and Sarah Rosekrans were present, and Dr. Milton entertained the people around him with some of his famous anecdotes.
Cake, cookies, coffee and punch were served.
Mrs. Evanson, who was on the hot lunch staff at Neillsville High School for several years, baked the cookies. Miss Linda Grottke helped with the serving and in other ways throughout the day.
Mr. and Mrs. Evanson’s family brought them gifts, including a diamond ring and a diamond tie clasp, a corsage and boutonniere, and a large, decorated wedding cake. They also received other gifts from relatives and friends and many cards and letters.
Their three children and families were present for the day. They are: Mr. and Mrs. Arne (Agnes) Matheson and daughter, Sherry of Waukesha; Mr. and Mrs. Orville Evanson and son, Duane and Mr. and Mrs. Roland Evanson (other information was cut off. Sorry)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs