Church: Spencer – Trinity Lutheran (25th Anniversary – 1951)
Contact: Bev

Surnames: Wagner, Mueller, Krasin, Siebrandt, Schmidt, Todt, Plishke, Schuette, Imm, Stapel

----Source: Marshfield News-Herald (Wood Co., Wis.) 1951

Spencer Congregation Observes 25 Anniversary of its Church

Spencer – The 25th anniversary of the construction of their present church in Spencer will be observed Sunday by members of Trinity Lutheran Church. Three Worship services are planned - an English Service at 10A.M. and a German service at 11:15 A.M., in charge of the Rev. H. H. Wagner, Shawano, a former pastor of the congregation, and an afternoon service at 3 o'clock which will be conducted by the present minister, the Rev. Randolph Mueller.

The congregation, which will observe the 70 anniversary of its founding next year decided in February, 1926 to build a new structure of brick and tile. The size of the building was to be 38x87.

Plans were drawn by Gus A. Krasin, Marshfield architect, and the contract was awarded to Krasin Bros., also of Marshfield. On June 20, 1926, the cornerstone was laid with appropriate ceremonies and the formal dedication took place on Nov. 28 of that year.

Organized in 1882: Officiating on that occasion were the Revs. Wagner, F. H. Siebrandt, Karl E. J. Schmidt, J. H. Todt, and W. J. Plishke.

Trinity Lutheran Congregation was organized May 21, 1882 by the Rev. J. Schuette, who was serving a number of congregations while maintaining his home in Auburndale. At that time it was decided to form a joint parish with St. Johns' Congregation, whose church was located 2 miles north of Spencer. The Rev. Mr. Schuette, was called as first resident pastor. He resided in Spencer.

He resigned Nov. 3, 1883 to accept a Milwaukee call and was succeeded May 25, 1884, by the Rev. Mr. Siebrandt, who served until July 1893.

The next pastor, Rev. Mr. Todt, served from 1895 to 1899. During his stay, a 32X55 brick - veneered church was constructed. It was dedicated in 1896. Following his resignation the Rev. A. F. Imm cane to Spencer and served until 1909, when he was succeeded by the Rev. Mr. Schmidt, whose tenture extended to Oct. 21, 1923.

Joint Parish Dissolved....The next minister to take up duties for Trinity Lutheran Parish was the Rev. Mr. Wagner, who was installed Jan. 13, 1924. He resigned Oct. 2, 1927, and was succeeded by the Rev. A. C. Stapel of Thorp, who served the congregation until 1948. The church was without a regular minister until 1949 when the present pastor arrived in Spencer.

The two parishes which were organized as a joint congregation in 1882, separated April 10, 1912. For many years, up until 1935, the Spencer congregation also maintained a day school.

(by News-Herald Correspondent)



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel