History: Edgar, Marathon Co., Wis. Businesses (1913)


Contact: John Erickson Preuss

Email: johnericksonpreuss@gmail.com


Surnames: DeLong, Erny, Fehlhaber, Flieth, Harrig, Means, Preuss, Puchner, Seim, Tomkiewicz, Zeier


----Source: Wausau Herald, 6 Oct 1913


Bank of Edgar


The bank of Edgar was chartered in 1903 with a capital stock of $15,000 and since the organization of the institution has done a business which far exceeded the expectations of the stockholders.  The present officers are: President – A. W. Puchner.  Vice President – H. G. Flieth.   Cashier - Wm. C. Seim.  Directors – A. W. Puchner, H. G. Flieth, O. G. Fehlhaber, C. C. DeLong, Wm. C. Seim. 


A recent statement of the bank shows a surplus and undivided profit of $10,000.  The bank building is owned by the stockholders and they are interested in other real estate in and around Edgar.  Wm. C. Seim, the cashier, is a product of Wausau and through his careful management the bank has been built up so it is recognized as one of the solid institutions of that kind in Marathon county.  The business men and farmers have found Mr. Seim an agreeable, accommodating and honorable business man and he has a high standing with the people of Edgar.


Justin Means


A busy place is the excelsior mill of Justin Means which has been in operation for about one and a half years.  The industry gives employment to fifteen men and the mill is kept busy twelve months in the year supplying orders for excelsior, of which three kinds are made - pack-bag stock, wood wool and mattress stock.  The lumber for the mill is purchased from the farmers, and the supply is almost unlimited.  The mill is equipped with the latest machinery and has modern facilities for producing excelsior.  Mr. Means came to Edgar from Merrill about two years ago, where he had lived for a number of years and where he was engaged in the ice business.  He was sheriff of Lincoln county for two years and was a prominent man of affairs in many ways.  He represents the village of Edgar on the county board and has become an earnest worker for his new home town. 


Edgar Basket and Manufacturing Company


Messrs. Albert and Eugene Erny and Fred Harrig are the members of the firm known as the Edgar Basket and Manufacturing Company.  The Erny brothers were formerly connected with the Belle City Basket Company of Racine.  On hearing that there was opening for a business of this kind in Edgar an investigation was made which resulted in the purchase of the building and machinery of the proposed veneer mill.  The factory has been in operation since January 1, 1913.  At present the manufacture of cheese boxes is receiving the attention of the company.  The scarcity of dwelling houses has been a great handicap in securing competent help.  When the factory is running at full capacity about seventy-five people will be employed – men and girls.  Fifty cheese factories are now being supplied with boxes by this company and the demand is greatly in excess of the ability of the firm to supply.  The baskets made by this company are said to be of excellent quality and the product finds a ready market in Chicago and other large cities.  A good price for hardwood timber is paid to those having timber of that kind for sale. 


Joseph Zeier


In April 1913, Joseph Zeier and family came to Edgar from “Little Chicago” where he had been manager of a creamery.  He bought the stock and fixtures of Michael Bowe.  The present stock consists of a reliable line of groceries, notions and furnishing goods.  Mr. Zeier has already got the Edgar spirit and is boosting for the village every day in the week. 


William Preuss


Priess / Preuss Bakery, ca. 1914


Left to Right: Gertrude Preuss, Emil Preuss, William Preuss, Herman Preuss,

Johana (Zube) Preuss and Ernstine (Schmidt) Zube.


Submitted by John Erickson Preuss



A model bakery is conducted by William Preuss (pictured above).  He came from lower Michigan about three years ago and grasping the opportunity went into business in Edgar.  His shop is modern and sanitary and the appetizing morsels contained therein are tempting to those that hunger.


F. J. Tomkiewicz


F. J. Tomkiewicz is the village druggist and owns and manages one of the finest stores of that nature one could wish to see.  It is fitted up in metropolitan style and the manager has a fine line of drugs with which to combat the ills and aches of the citizens.  A modern soda fountain adorns a prominent portion of the store around which Cupid casts his darts at the young men...(remainder missing)



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel