, Clark County, Wisconsin History & Genealogy Records
Bio: Boettcher, August (1846 – 19??)
Surnames: Boettcher, Scott, Steller, Brach
----Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens, by Louis Marchetti, 1913.
Boettcher, August (3 August 1846 – 19??)
AUGUST BOETTCHER, proprietor of the City Hotel, located on the corner of Washington and Sixth streets, Wausau, is one of Wausau's much respected and well known citizens, having lived here for more than twenty years. He was born in Germany, August 3, 1846 and came to America in 1873.
In, his own land Mr. Boettcher was a tailor but after coming to the United States he found conditions of living different and the opportunities for his business success lay in another direction than his trade. He had served four years in the German army and was strong and robust and soon after coming to Wisconsin he went to work at lumbering and for eighteen years was a lumber grader for Scott's mill at Merrill, Wis. He had already spent some time at Wausau and then returned here and bought the City Hotel property, which he operated for sixteen years but has now shifted his responsibilities to his son Frank, who has had the father's excellent training for the position. The City Hotel is a well kept hostelry, a two-story brick building, with twenty guest rooms, all fitted with modern comforts in the way of hot water, light and baths, and the house has a fine line of patronage, the public realizing that their hosts do all in their power to make visitors comfortable.
Mr. Boettcher married Miss Elizabeth Steller, who was born in New York but since girlhood has been a resident of Wausau. They have two children: Frank, who was born at Merrill, Wis., September 2, 1882, and is his father's very capable manager; and Caroline, who is the wife of Fred Brach, and they have two children: Vera and Evelyn.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs